• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Most Terrifying Artifacts of Destruction

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AxelcG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
When I saw the article title, first thing come in my mind is Spear of Longinus. Lol
ajh2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
Car: Mach 5

Most Terifying Weapon: "The Guardian of Forever" - From Star Trek the original TV series and animed series. It is a time machine. Be careful what you wish for.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote
for grins, and it was bugging me... I want looking around for the word LANCE vs. the word SPEAR because I've never seen it translated as spear in the anime... and I had to go dust off my old Bible knowledge, because this is supposed to be a weapon that supposedly pierced the side of a crucified Jesus, thereby deriving it's power for the story. A bit pedantic I know...

so... yeah... in origin it was called: "λογχη, lonche, a spear or dart, the word in the text." from Clark's Commentary. as you can see, most of the people who study the literature use the terms interchangeably...

But the word as written is lonche in latin, the basis for the word LANCE

So while spear may well be just as accurate for what the weapon actually was, {heavy lances not en vougue until the middle ages, which were not thrown}...

Lance is the better translation, seems to me... sounds better, and there is evidence that the name Longinous is ALSO related to lonche, as the NAME of the soldier is not recorded in the original Gospel of John.

Lance of Longinous
Spear of Longinous...

and now I may have to rewatch the series to see how it was subbed... woe is me. :devil:

ON OTHER TOPICS... can I get a vote for Ifurita of El Hazard as the ultimate Weapon of Destruction? Like another girlfriend and potentially the original template, she is a weapon that brings about the end of one world, and it is only through 10,000 years of waiting that she is able to redeem herself.
And she's quite a looker too.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:58 am Reply with quote
I would've taken George's Jaguar E Type from Paradise Kiss as my car of choice Laughing
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:52 am Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
and now I may have to rewatch the series to see how it was subbed... woe is me. :devil:

The subtitles have it Lance of Longinus, but that's not correct.
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Spear_of_Longinus
Ddoddka_10

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:51 am Reply with quote
Takumi's 1983 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX , Initial D ftw!! as in the way of WMD's id like to think, excalibur from Soul Eater Anime hyper
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
ArthurFrDent wrote:

Or they're both correct and you're denigrating a translation that would've have to have been approved in favor of a scrap of text.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
wow jymmy, that's fascinating reading... thanks very much for sharing.

So essentially it's not in dispute that the original artifact's name is Lance of Longinous... based on this description from the reference: The Spear is named after the Lancea Longini (a.k.a "Lance of Longinus", "Spear of Destiny", "Holy Lance", etc.) a weapon that, according to Christian tradition, was used by the Roman soldier Longinus to stab Jesus Christ in the side to confirm his death at his crucifixion. Bearing the blood of the Son of God was said to, consequently, bestow the spear with supernatural properties, making it a much-sought-after artifact (in a manner similar to the Holy Grail). http://wiki.evageeks.org/Spear_of_Longinus#cite_note-0

But obviously Gainax and Anno decided to call their version a 'spear' or it was simply lost in translation

Probably ADV and Manga both in their translations were simply choosing based on the original artifact's name. Surprised that Gainax let them do that based on the importance of the name. But then it's possible that every time this is translated into Japanese, since it is called a yari which could be either lance or spear, they never make the distinction...

Anyway, interesting stuff, it's always cool to see more of the mythology construction that underpins these fictional universes... makes the story that much richer.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:

Doesn't 槍/yari mean lance in Japanese though? Lily says "kori no yari yo!" in Mana Khemia 2 and Cross Edge and both U.S. versions translate it to her saying "Ice lance!" I'm pretty certain those are lances raining down on the enemy.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I'd swap the Lance and Book of Darkness, personally.

The lance requires vast amounts of set-up for it to be used properly. And that's assuming you have some sort of giant device capable of properly using it.

The Book of Darkness, on the hand, has the internal defense system, has the ability to capture linker cores, spoiler[ The Guardian Knight System ] and has the ability to spoiler[ constantly revive itself whilst it gradually kills the owner ]. That's not even taking into consideration the higher level spells it has.

Just my opinion of course.

As for the car;

Roger Smith's Griffon, of course. The only way to drive...is in style.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Rally's Shelby Cobra gets blown up] in Gunsmith Cats Burst. I think I cried a little when it happened.

Panoptican wrote:
What was the last column's poll? I feel like that should be stated in the column, otherwise it just a bunch of answers without any context (unless you remember it).

I believe it was: who would you have preferred to have as your bodyguard.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Always take these polls with a grain of salt. It seems the more recent a show is, the higher chance it (or it's characters) have of winning the poll. That's good news though, it shows that there are more and more people getting into anime as time goes by. On the main article, there's sooo many more items I could list on here it would take forever. The sci-fi anime world just loves destroying tihngs
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Just a small note...cough...but technically a behelit doesn't eat your dreams in berserk. It demands your mortal ties in exchange to pursue your dreams with great power.
GDMaid Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:56 am Reply with quote
Well if you are going to talk cars and artifacts of destruction, then you need to add the yukari-mobile to the list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2