• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 1st Half of 2009

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skafreak51

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
wow, gintama is number 5? that's awesome.
lys

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoy these posts, getting to see the relative popularity of series I follow (and those I might be interested in following once they're available in English). Thanks for putting them together for us!

(and a correction—looks like Bleach has a One Piece cover on this chart)
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Bloody Monday? I read the first couple chapters before. Didn't think it was this popular. I'm glad when a suspense manga makes a top 10 list like this. Really cool.
YuYuUrameshi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quote
What? Bleach beat Naruto? That's flipping amazing! Go Bleach!
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Too bad the sales numbers here aren't that high. Shocked
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

"aren't that high"? I don't know about Japan's sales standards, but a comics publisher in America would kill to have a million-selling series . . . heck, that's a remarkable number for book series in general.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Hi no Neko wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

"aren't that high"? I don't know about Japan's sales standards, but a comics publisher in America would kill to have a million-selling series . . . heck, that's a remarkable number for book series in general.

That's what he meant Razz I almost misinterpreted it too, at first. I am also impressed that Bleach beat Naruto. Nothing holds a candle to One Piece though, it seems.
Tratious

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
wow im impressed by what spot bleach is in one piece is still double what bleach has though make the story better kubo and you could
"potentially" pass
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that Fullmetal Alchemist and 20th Century Boys are at least on the list, them being two of my favorite manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm glad that Fullmetal Alchemist and 20th Century Boys are at least on the list, them being two of my favorite manga.

Agreed. 20th Century Boys has actually finished for over a year now, but the movies are undoubtedly boosting sales.

Another thing to note: all the titles are shounen and seinen. No love for shoujo or josei series, I guess. Sad
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
woot. Thats such a crazy difference between number 1 and
number 2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Another thing to note: all the titles are shounen and seinen. No love for shoujo or josei series, I guess. Sad

Isn't it less common for guys to purchase shojo/josei in Japan compared to the US and other countries? I dunno, I remember the author of Megatokyo commenting on this (and in the comic, several Japanese schoolgirls find it bizzare that Piro is reading in the shojo section), so if shojo/josei titles don't find as large a male audience compared to America's success in doing so with titles like Fruits Basket, it's not too surprising. I'm not sure about any of this, but it could be the case.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

Isn't it less common for guys to purchase shojo/josei in Japan compared to the US and other countries? I dunno, I remember the author of Megatokyo commenting on this (and in the comic, several Japanese schoolgirls find it bizzare that Piro is reading in the shojo section), so if shojo/josei titles don't find as large a male audience compared to America's success in doing so with titles like Fruits Basket, it's not too surprising. I'm not sure about any of this, but it could be the case.

Yeah, but last time I checked, women had money and could buy manga as well...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Agreed. 20th Century Boys has actually finished for over a year now, but the movies are undoubtedly boosting sales.

The first movie certainly made me want to actually purchase the Viz manga volumes.

I can only hope there's a R1 DVD release for the movies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

Yeah, but last time I checked, women had money and could buy manga as well...

What I mean is that while shonen/seinen apparently reaches multiple demographics judging by sales, shojo/josei might be having trouble spreading beyond their key demographic (in Japan, at least).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3