• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Anime Expo® 2009 Welcomes Cartoon Network

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:07 pm Reply with quote
hmmmm.Now this is interesting.

With this news,it may just mean that anime on TV isn't quite dead yet.

Hopefully it'll also mean that the remaining epsiodes of naurto will return and possibly CN will also show Naruto Shippuden which is what i'm really hoping for
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We are so delighted to welcome Cartoon Network to our convention,”

Wow, that sounded like she was forced to say that or the writer himself/herself was told to include that.

Cartoon Network eliminated most of its anime and grasping for numbers. But they did this to themselves, so they won't be getting any sympathy for me. Except I wouldn't want the employees to lose their work.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Quote:
We are so delighted to welcome Cartoon Network to our convention,”

Wow, that sounded like she was forced to say that or the writer himself/herself was told to include that.

Well, duh. Do you actually think these people actually SAY these things? They do not. They tell some secretary "Print me out a press release on yadda yadda yadda." And the secretary takes some template saved to his PC as a .doc or what have you, inserts the relevant facts where required, does up some quotes that sound on point, reads it over once or twice to make sure grammar is good, the document flows right and all major points are hit, Then gives it to the people who requested. They read the finished product, sign off on it, send it out. Twenty minutes of a busy day that also involves a lot of filing, organizing, stuffing envelopes, and miscellaneous soul-destroying garbage. If you think anyone cares about anything other than their paycheck and getting home on time, you're fooling yourself, and besides that it doesn't make sense to care about your press release. The media will spin it any way they damn well please, and the public won't give a crap unless they want to pick it apart for reasons to blast you. I know all this because I AM THAT SECRETARY!!

Uhhh... I mean that in the sense of a "royal we", kinda. I am NOT the secretary who wrote this and gave it to his superior to sign off on, but I guarantee his job is just the same as mine...

My stupid, thankless job that I have to get up to go to in just over 6 hours. Thanks for the reminder, dude. You suck. Anime hyper
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
If I was to join,it would only be to finish Samurai Jack.
bleuster

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Calling All Artists! Cartoon Network to hold Portfolio Reviews at Nation's Largest Anime and Manga Convention's

Are they planning to give a few artists a 15 minute spot on Adult Swim? That would interesting.

Not having cable I don't know what anime they currently air on TV, but it seems kind of ...late? Especially after closing the after weekend anime block and the low ratings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:45 am Reply with quote
I'd welcome CN to an anime expo...

Like a sniper welcomes a spy....
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:27 am Reply with quote
Who, from CN, would be doing the reviews? Alas, the article doesn't state this information.

Would rather be disappointing to find out the mail room clerk is doing the evaluations since I don't recall CN actually having any artists create the shows they air.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
that's kinda harsh isn't it.Sure there was some mistakes but you can't blame them for everything.First that cause anime's caput on tv was illegal streaming and fansubs,then there's this economy which crippled the industry on both US and in Japan and of course there's the ever so annoying FCC which gets the most blame of the three though i believe the illegal fansubs were the big suspect.

Hopefully this new might gave some light in the darkness cause for anime on TV to survive,it has to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
that's kinda harsh isn't it.Sure there was some mistakes but you can't blame them for everything.First that cause anime's caput on tv was illegal streaming and fansubs,then there's this economy which crippled the industry on both US and in Japan and of course there's the ever so annoying FCC which gets the most blame of the three though i believe the illegal fansubs were the big suspect.

Hopefully this new might gave some light in the darkness cause for anime on TV to survive,it has to.
Well CN does not help it's case for subjecting it's audiance to the Naruto fillers (which ceratinly more than likely put the knife though Toonami's chest too) and then not going though with Naruto Shipuuden. Nor the instances where they get anoyed that Code Geass was thier best rated show and that they just had a bad audiance number. Nor do they help themselves by airing drech like Bakugan.

Also, they need to put a steel toed boot up some of thier international droperganger's arses, but that's nether here nor there.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
If I was to join,it would only be to finish Samurai Jack.

Fudge yes. I don't know why they stopped this show but I need to see the end. And they can bring back their other good show : MegasXLR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Well CN does not help it's case for subjecting it's audiance to the Naruto fillers (which ceratinly more than likely put the knife though Toonami's chest too) and then not going though with Naruto Shipuuden. Nor the instances where they get anoyed that Code Geass was thier best rated show and that they just had a bad audiance number. Nor do they help themselves by airing drech like Bakugan.

Also, they need to put a steel toed boot up some of thier international droperganger's arses, but that's nether here nor there.

Dear lord, the ignorance on display here is astonishing...

1) CN cannot be held responsible for what happens on Adult Swim. The two are functionally different networks, they're administrated by completely different people.
2) Those "international dopplegangers" are, to the best of my knowledge, subsidiaries of the US Cartoon Network. Why would they want to shut down their own employees?
3) It was not Toonami's choice to go with the Naruto filler. Way back when they were first experimenting with an 75% anime lineup, they asked the fans what they wanted. The fans, having recently dealt with DBZ, Sailor Moon, and some other series that got controversial treatment from distributors, said essentially "Don't try to make it better, just tell it like it is." And CN did. Aside from enforcing the bare minimum required to satisfy the FCC, they adopted a hands-off approach. If you've got problems with the acting, the translation, or what have you, talk to the production company. Besides that, if they had opted to skip the filler they would have gotten blasted by the fans for that. (And the filler isn't bad to begin with, but that's another thread.)
4) Yes, they made some poor choices with their lineup, but it wasn't just bad shows getting airplay. It was also good shows that they aired and people didn't watch. One Piece, Blue Dragon, Zatch Bell, and so forth. They got time on the block at a time when it was highly competitive and the fanboys called it shonen garbage and went elsewhere.
5) I don't keep track, but Code Geass has NEVER been AS's highest-rated show. In fact, most of their Anime has drawn low ratings compared to their cheaper-made programming. The real problem is that they bust their butts getting decent shows on the air, people watch crap instead, and then they get blasted by the anime fans over the fact that those same fans don't watch their shows, which is some of the most utterly bizarre doublethink I've ever encountered. Is it any wonder they don't want to put up with that B.S.?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:

Bunch of CN arse kissing.

In counter to your code geass coment, they had a card where they stated explisitly that Code Geass (After it got docked to 4am for the crime of costing more than $1 to make) had the best raitings but it was no where near what they wanted (because somehow, 300k viewers at 4am is apprently coming up short) . http://www.bumpworthy.com/bumps/893.

Second, if CN realy wanted to they could tell Adult Swim to stop existing tomorrow. [AS] Might be it's own beast but oddly enough it still holds a channel with CN and if something happened they would not hesitate in switching AS out for reruns of [retarded show x].

Third, Toonami in it's dying year was a mismanaged mess and I'm not talking about Tom.
Also, those filler episodes killed the ratings for Naruto as it would for any show. So they could of told VIz to get a move on to Shipuden but no. Let's drive everyone away from Naruto by having Naruto goldenshowering the whole cast.
Finaly. Saturday 7-11 was not aproperate for a block of premares for that demogrpahic, End of Story.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:06 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:

Bunch of CN arse kissing.

In counter to your code geass coment, they had a card where they stated explisitly that Code Geass (After it got docked to 4am for the crime of costing more than $1 to make) had the best raitings but it was no where near what they wanted (because somehow, 300k viewers at 4am is apprently coming up short) . http://www.bumpworthy.com/bumps/893.

Second, if CN realy wanted to they could tell Adult Swim to stop existing tomorrow. [AS] Might be it's own beast but oddly enough it still holds a channel with CN and if something happened they would not hesitate in switching AS out for reruns of [retarded show x].

Unless I'm missing the context, that bump doesn't say anything of the sort. Actually, I'm reading the accusation as something completely different. They moved the show to an obscene hour, and people kept watching. They whined, complained, bitched, moaned, threatened, flamed, yelled, screamed, and continued to buy the product being sold. In other words, they're all big talk without the guts to actually do anything. If they were really that upset about this kind of behavior, they WOULD quit. Instead they yell, yell, yell, and come back next week begging for the next episode of CG. Pathetic, man. No sympathy for the emo.

And, no, I don't think that CN could just up and cancel AS. But if they can, and they wanted to, why haven't they by now?

Quote:

Third, Toonami in it's dying year was a mismanaged mess and I'm not talking about Tom.
Also, those filler episodes killed the ratings for Naruto as it would for any show. So they could of told VIz to get a move on to Shipuden but no. Let's drive everyone away from Naruto by having Naruto goldenshowering the whole cast.

I ADDRESSED THAT. Pay attention! They don't meddle in production because the fans asked them not to, and they abide by that. If you have trouble with the way the series was handled, talk to VIZ. And don't think that, if they had skipped the filler, the fans wouldn't have bitched. They bitched when FUNimation skipped over the first 15 episodes of Dragonball GT, even though the fans had been complaining for years about how bad those episodes were. And continued to complain that those episodes were low-quality after they finally got around to releasing them!

Quote:

Finaly. Saturday 7-11 was not aproperate for a block of premares for that demogrpahic, End of Story.

Wow, that is some epic spelling failure right there. What's the story? Past your bedtime? Drunk? Huffing paint?

But seriously, I think you have some delusions about Toonami's "demogrpahic". Toonami demographic was grade school, drifting towards high school in the later hours. They hadn't been trying to appeal to the older crowd since before they moved off of weekdays, by which point they had outgrown that slot too.

I think you have to accept that Toonami was not around for you. It was around for the people who watched Toonami, not the people who complained about how everything about it was wrong. And when they stopped watching it, they wrapped it up. This makes perfect sense. I mean, would you sell to people who are ready to buy, or would you sell to people who are constantly insulting you?
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Nor the instances where they get anoyed that Code Geass was thier best rated show and that they just had a bad audiance number. Nor do they help themselves by airing drech like Bakugan.

Dear lord, the ignorance on display here is astonishing...

5) I don't keep track, but Code Geass has NEVER been AS's highest-rated show. In fact, most of their Anime has drawn low ratings compared to their cheaper-made programming.

Well, that's sort of true. Code Geass better ratings than Family Guy and Aqua Teen? C'MON! But I think what Bellos The Mighty was trying to say is Code Geass was #1 on SATURDAY night, and I have the data to back up his claim:

CODE GEASS ADULT SWIM TOP 3 APPEARANCES (2008)
4/26/08: #1* - 368k (1:30 AM)
5/17/08: #3 - 227k (1:00 AM)
6/14/08: #1 - 338k (1:00 AM)
7/26/08: #2 - 230k (12:00 AM)
8/2/08: #1 - 281k (12:00 AM)
8/23/08: #1 - 251k (12:00 AM)

*Not really sure about this one; could have been #2

So Bellos is right that it has been a Saturday #1 before, especially when it was in the midnight time slot as it was for about 7 weeks (the one Star Wars: The Clone Wars is currently stinking up).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
The whole ratings thing is a smokescreen. A cable network dedicated to cartoons does not care about ratings. They just dislike the anime fandom (not entirely without reason, I suppose). Really, before Adult Swim ever existed, they were playing repeats of random cartoons for years. You think they cared about ratings? Please. They're using ratings as excuses to dictate based on the personal tastes of the staff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2