• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Haibane Renmei DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorites and I'm glad that I still have the four dvds and the soundtrack from Geneon's line. Glad to see that everyone can get a chance to see this gem. Hopefully Niea_7 gets the treatment like Haibane and Texhnolyze because that's one of ABe's works that I never got the chance to see. Kinda curious on what the two-disk collection contains, does it have more bonus content than the four dvds combined?
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I've got the Pioneer set, but bought the rerelease to have another set to spread the gospel. </konata> (And to persuade the licensees that it's worth rescuing the really good stuff.)
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:
[...]
I love this title and teach it to my students every year. [...]

May I ask exactly how you incorporate the series into your lesson plan?

We watch an episode every week and I have the kids answer questions about it. I really like to focus on the metaphorical imagery. It's fun to see the kids realize that things like moon cycles, enclosed spaces, water, etc. mean something.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
PipingHotTea wrote:
Kinda curious on what the two-disk collection contains, does it have more bonus content than the four dvds combined?

Um, there's a whole paragraph in the review explaining that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bonham

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
immortalrite wrote:
I think it would be hard for anyone who has seen the series to deny that redemption and forgiveness play a absolutely central role in the final act.

I suppose it depends on whether you attribute spoiler[the redemption for the haibane to be external or internal. I think a lot of people -- including myself years ago -- think it's the former, although nowadays I tend to believe the redemption the haibane undergo to achieve their day of flight to be more internal... or at least not totally external. People look at Rakka and Reki having others looking out for them, but they also forget that Kuu left after she seemed to have forgiven herself. If the self-hatred of their suicide is what they have to overcome, rather than actions toward others, I'd say that's more of an internal issue than an external one.]
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I apologize for starting with a kvetch, but this always bothers me:
Quote:

Yoshitoshi ABe developed practically a cult following in anime circles in the wake of his creation of Serial Experiments Lain, which stands as one of the most thematically and aesthetically innovative titles of the 1990s.

I probably rate as a member of that cult following, but I don't think it's fair to refer to "his creation of Serial Experiments Lain". That series was created by Ryutaro Nakamura, Chiaki Konaka, and Yasuyuki Ueda. ABe was an art student at the time. Ueda, I think came across his web-site, liked his art, and invited him to participate in the visual design of Lain. Lain was ABe's first encounter with the anime industry.

NieA_7 and Haibane Renmei, he deserves credit for creating, but not Lain.

That said, I think your review is spot-on.

(Sad to say, the original creator's website for the wonderful Lain-NieA-Haibane crossover doujinshi, "Ganbare, Rakkatan!" has dropped off the net.....)
unready

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
Funimation's advertising tag line for the release also hedges on being a spoiler

Just to be clear, Funimation's marketing slogan for this series is:
Quote:
Sometimes God cannot forgive you unless you forgive yourself.

... which is 100% wrong in the context of the show. I forget the exact line the Renmei says toward the end of the series, but it goes something like spoiler["Reki has no one to forgive her. You had a crow. And it is impossible to forgive oneself," making it clear that forgiveness must come externally.] It makes me kind of wonder if the marketing department bothered to ask anyone what was in the series.
Fifth B

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
Ah, Haibane Renmei. I'm rewatching this thing right now for the first time in years, and I had forgotten just how damn good it is. I remember watching it when I was first getting into anime, and finding it rather boring, although I could tell that it was good. Years later, I swept it up during my post-Geneon panic buys, and revisited it. I've seen it twice since then, and every time I watch it, I love it even more, and I find myself even more emotionally invested in it. It's one of those shows that I find so moving because it creates such a sense of discord. Delicate, calm, and pretty, yet carrying such a heavy emotional impact. I'm so happy that Funimation brought Haibane Renmei back, and gave it a chance to reach new viewers and fans who may have otherwise looked over it.
immortalrite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
I suppose it depends on whether you attribute spoiler[the redemption for the haibane to be external or internal. I think a lot of people -- including myself years ago -- think it's the former, although nowadays I tend to believe the redemption the haibane undergo to achieve their day of flight to be more internal... or at least not totally external. People look at Rakka and Reki having others looking out for them, but they also forget that Kuu left after she seemed to have forgiven herself. If the self-hatred of their suicide is what they have to overcome, rather than actions toward others, I'd say that's more of an internal issue than an external one.]

I'm not sure I understand this distinction between external and internal redemption. Maybe you mean spoiler[a distinction between helping yourself and being helped by others. If this is the case, I think the show presents a dynamic relationship between the two; that is, if what the Communicator says in Ep. 12 is true, and no one can "forgive themselves," I think it is likely that Kuu's redemption came from another source, one which was at least not made explicit to us the audience (cf. Rakka's encounter with the crow) as we were only able to see her Day of Flight as it were, "from the outside," namely from Rakka's point of view. Case in point, what made Reki's ordeal so trying was not that she had no one to redeem her "externally," but rather that she refused to trust anyone else enough to help her even the slightest bit... which is perhaps why she committed suicide in the first place.]

unready wrote:
Quote:

... which is 100% wrong in the context of the show. I forget the exact line the Renmei says toward the end of the series, but it goes something like spoiler["Reki has no one to forgive her. You had a crow. And it is impossible to forgive oneself," making it clear that forgiveness must come externally.] It makes me kind of wonder if the marketing department bothered to ask anyone what was in the series.

I think perhaps "forgive yourself" is not entirely accurate, but rather spoiler[that one has to ask for help before it can be received. Reki had to cry out "save me!" at the last second in order for Rakka to push her out of the way of the train. Maybe the tagline should say "God cannot forgive you unless you want to be forgiven."] In any case, I believe Funi's tagline agrees with the spirit, if not the letter.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote
unready wrote:
Theron Martin wrote:
Funimation's advertising tag line for the release also hedges on being a spoiler

Quote:

Yeah, Funi really did a poor job with that aspect. The line certainly is somewhat of a spoiler, and it implies a distinctly christian element of the show when it actually does not link itself to any specific religion. In fact, I believe they went to some lengths to avoid such connections. I fear that it may actually turn some people off from the series if they believe it's a religious series when it certainly is not, though I would say it is a somewhat spiritual series (there is a difference).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
unready wrote:
Theron Martin wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, Funi really did a poor job with that aspect. The line certainly is somewhat of a spoiler, and it implies a distinctly christian element of the show when it actually does not link itself to any specific religion. In fact, I believe they went to some lengths to avoid such connections. I fear that it may actually turn some people off from the series if they believe it's a religious series when it certainly is not, though I would say it is a somewhat spiritual series (there is a difference).

I also agree that Funimation's slogan does not accurately reflect what is going on in the series. But I want to ask Keonyn how does Funimation's slogan imply Christianity? Just because the word God is being used, it does not have to apply only to Christianity. Other religions believe in god(s) too.

As far as the series, it is very enjoyable and very well put together. I am glad FUNi finally rereleased this series. I seem to recall that the license rescue was announced in 2010. I recommend anyone who has not watched Haibane Renmei to buy this set.
Bonham

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
immortalrite wrote:
I'm not sure I understand this distinction between external and internal redemption. Maybe you mean spoiler[a distinction between helping yourself and being helped by others. If this is the case, I think the show presents a dynamic relationship between the two; that is, if what the Communicator says in Ep. 12 is true, and no one can "forgive themselves," I think it is likely that Kuu's redemption came from another source, one which was at least not made explicit to us the audience (cf. Rakka's encounter with the crow) as we were only able to see her Day of Flight as it were, "from the outside," namely from Rakka's point of view. Case in point, what made Reki's ordeal so trying was not that she had no one to redeem her "externally," but rather that she refused to trust anyone else enough to help her even the slightest bit... which is perhaps why she committed suicide in the first place.]

I should have mentioned that I think there should be a distinction spoiler[between the white-feathers and black-feathers. It's possible that Kuu was "redeemed" by an external source, but we don't receive any hints one way or the other. It's also important to note that the Communicator is expressing his own thoughts, and is a flawed character himself -- after all, the haibane renmei are haibane that failed to reach their day of flight. He may very well be projecting his own circumstances onto others, and perhaps it can be said that the sin-bound haibane may require different circumstances. After all, even though we mostly experience the story from Rakka's point-of-view, we don't really see the non-sin-bound haibane struggle in the way she and Reki do.

Not to mention, as you say, the problem with Reki isn't that she doesn't have anyone to help her, but that she walls herself off from it.]

I also agree with Keonyn in that placing absolute values on how spoiler[redemption and forgiveness] can easily give way to placing certain religious values on the series when there isn't any. Surface-level similarities to certain aspects of religions are apparent... but that can be said for just about anything with metaphysical bent.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I also agree that Funimation's slogan does not accurately reflect what is going on in the series. But I want to ask Keonyn how does Funimation's slogan imply Christianity? Just because the word God is being used, it does not have to apply only to Christianity. Other religions believe in god(s) too.

Of course, but when someone views that slogan they aren't likely going to think of those other religions. I'm not saying it can't be interpreted any other way, but I'm fairly confident it won't be. Plus, the presence of any specific deity is pretty much a non-factor in the story as it focuses on a more spiritual story, not a religious one. I just think that if someone who isn't familiar with the series sees a cover with people who have halo's and wings and they read a slogan about God they are going to come off with the assumption that is a Christian themed title when it is not. I just find the slogan to be unnecessary and misleading, I personally don't think the series (or most for that matter) even need slogans/taglines.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshitoshi_ABe

If you look at the wiki link, Yoshitoshi only did ONE original creation which was Haibane Renmei. The rest he only help mostly with character design.

WHY only create one and not more Yoshitoshi? Your work with Haibane is amazing and you doing more would be great if not amazing.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Of course, but when someone views that slogan they aren't likely going to think of those other religions. I'm not saying it can't be interpreted any other way, but I'm fairly confident it won't be. Plus, the presence of any specific deity is pretty much a non-factor in the story as it focuses on a more spiritual story, not a religious one. I just think that if someone who isn't familiar with the series sees a cover with people who have halo's and wings and they read a slogan about God they are going to come off with the assumption that is a Christian themed title when it is not. I just find the slogan to be unnecessary and misleading, I personally don't think the series (or most for that matter) even need slogans/taglines.

I see now. Christianity is definitely the first thing most Westerners would think of when noticing religious connotations. Not to mention, like you say, the wings and halos. I also agree that Haibane Renmei has spiritual elements, which do not have to necessarily be religious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5