• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Haibane Renmei DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:50 am Reply with quote
It's awesome to see a great series like Haibane Renmei getting released, reviewed, and discussed again. Been a little too busy to do my research (like rewatch the show, which would probably make the 4th time) to engage in this discussion, but it's been interesting to read. Keep it up, Bonham Laughing

I'm not sure I'll by double dipping since I have the beautiful Pioneer box set, but those new encodes are an improvement to me, so maybe when it's on sale or something.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Cyclograph wrote:
Key wrote:
Moonsaber wrote:
A question: How does this two disk version stack up quality wise against my current version? Is there anything to recommend it? I wouldn't mind owning two copies of this even if the subtitle font is better. The original disks had a fair amount of art and other extras, if I recall.

We'll have to have someone else comment on that. This rerelease is the first time I've had a hard copy of the series; in fact, the first time I saw any of this series beyond the first episode was about three weeks ago, so I'm a very recent convert.

I'll take a weak stab at it, tho this isn't going to be all that comprehensive having only a very little time between work projects. (is Hissatsu still about?)
I have the original Pioneer set from way back, and also acquired the new release with the intention that one of the sets will be off to be brother, so for the moment I can look at both.

<<<SNIP>>>

The technical issues tho IMO are far outweighed by the quality of the program - glad to see it back in print, even if it never looks as good as it should (such may be the fate of many early DIP productions... Sad )

Something's up. That is MUCH better quality. I remember being a little dissapointed last time I watched this and for the first time on a BIG modern Television and noticing it was very fuzzy.

Thank you for the time you put into showing everyone the upgraded quality on this release. I immediately went out and ordered myself a copy from the cheapest source (Rightstuf! Always!).

-M
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
Cyclograph wrote:
Key wrote:
Moonsaber wrote:
A question: How does this two disk version stack up quality wise against my current version? Is there anything to recommend it? I wouldn't mind owning two copies of this even if the subtitle font is better. The original disks had a fair amount of art and other extras, if I recall.

We'll have to have someone else comment on that. This rerelease is the first time I've had a hard copy of the series; in fact, the first time I saw any of this series beyond the first episode was about three weeks ago, so I'm a very recent convert.

I'll take a weak stab at it, tho this isn't going to be all that comprehensive having only a very little time between work projects. (is Hissatsu still about?)
I have the original Pioneer set from way back, and also acquired the new release with the intention that one of the sets will be off to be brother, so for the moment I can look at both.

<<<SNIP>>>

The technical issues tho IMO are far outweighed by the quality of the program - glad to see it back in print, even if it never looks as good as it should (such may be the fate of many early DIP productions... Sad )

Something's up. That is MUCH better quality. I remember being a little dissapointed last time I watched this and for the first time on a BIG modern Television and noticing it was very fuzzy.

Thank you for the time you put into showing everyone the upgraded quality on this release. I immediately went out and ordered myself a copy from the cheapest source (Rightstuf! Always!).

-M

I actually find my blu-ray player upconverts the series pretty well, and the image samples provided earlier in the thread haven't convinced me to double-dip. I mean, some of the newer ones actually looked worse, like the sharpening had produced artifacts on the artwork and a sharpness to the lines that didn't look right in some instances. Granted, it's hard to compare stills to actually seeing the show in motion. If it was a blu-ray release I'd jump all over it, but nothing here has convinced me as of yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
This discussion is too rosy.

It seems I know some of the reasons why this anime did not become "masterpiece":

1) actual story only began from sixth episode. The first five series should have been made into just two introductory episodes. And I am generous with the two series time frame -- it takes into account contemplative pace of this anime. Obviously authors had to fit the story to the ancient evil that is called "format", which says that series have to be 12-13/24-26/37-39/50-52 episodes. Producers were greedy enough to tamper with natural flow of the story and stretched it in the beginning, making some viewers voting less favourably for the show;

2) the presented world itself is too artificial to allow users really submerge into the story: spoiler[The city was created for the protection of the winged ones, but they all of sudden are only allowed to wear poor robes, they have no money, have some surrogates for that. If the idea for this city was such good, then why all of those nonsensical burdens?

Also, it is not clear why there are normal people in this closed city, if those people are not even engaged in protecting the winged ones. The winged ones work, supply and support themselves. And, by the way, it is not clear why the winged ones need "protection" in the first place. From whom?

Another mystery is why, according to the anime, all of sudden common people are not able to get over the wall and leave the city. They are not supposed to be affected by this limit of the city, the wall is not against them.

As it turns out, the wall does not really mean anything even to the winged ones. Yes, one could get cold in winter, standing by that wall. However, one could catch a cold in any other place, too; it is not wall-specific phenomenon. And yes, one could fall from stairs and hurt his/her head. But this could happen at any place within the city however far from the wall. For touching the wall some "scary punishment" is promised, but it never comes even though the wall is touched in the series.

The anime says that winged newcomer has to walk along with the older ones to choose appropriate job. However, no job is actually get chosen this way, and the newcomer gets her job appointed by others. Another nonsensical detail.

Forests in the closed city are said to be very dangerous, but, as it turns out, no one really got harmed there because of forest. There is no any danger -- unless if someone will get lost and will get stuck in a well, which is not forest's doing.

Yet there are monks wandering in those forests in any weather 24/7, according to the plot of this anime. No one knows why they do this. Maybe only for the occasion if any of the winged ones will come to this "dangerous" forest. As seen in this anime, the only "dangerous" thing is the forest could be those monks if some one of them would have sinister motives for wandering there, expecting his victims.

In the middle of the series ravens all of sudden decide to kill main heroine. They lured her, undressed, to that forest, to the well with metal cramp-like stairs during dark winter night. While wandering in the woods, monks usually check every forgotten well, hollow, burrow and pit. They obviously do it even in winters every night. Another weird plot routine.

Closer to the end of the anime, second main winged heroine is said to lose her nimbus and become normal person that destined to live alone until the death, losing her memory -- if she will not be able to get rid of her sins.

However, this turned out to be lie, since she was perfectly certain that if she will get under imagined train that is made of clay, she will simply disappear, not turning into some lonely person living without memory in a distant land.
]

So if this anime would not dragged in the beginning and would not be so inconsistent and nonsensical in details (I agree with Zac's review on this), it could become truly unique. Even as it is now, it is certainly very unusual, but it lacks too much.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth--

I -- very strongly -- believe that you need to review the series from episodes six through thirteen inclusive. You clearly do not get it. I am not saying that you should like it (after all, Zac Bertschy himself flat out said that the series is not for everyone) but, rather, that you need to understand it better. You rather obviously misunderstand certain parts of it (and you should also reread Zac Bertschy's review).
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
nbahn,

Haibane Renmei is positively loaded with symbology, and I think most of it is lost on MaxSouth. My guess is that his background doesn't give him the tools needed to even recognize the symbols as symbols, let alone try to make any sense out of them. It's like listening to poetry (if that's your thing) from a different language.

So, while I disagree very, very strongly with MaxSouth's opinion, I can understand how he could come to those conclusions and consider his opinions valid for him. As you (and Zac) said, Haibane Renmei isn't for everyone, and I think it's probably not for MaxSouth.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:08 am Reply with quote
Yes, I agree that maybe these series could be just not my thing.

I understand that certain features of the presented world could be made as apparatus of symbolism. But I can not understand when the ongoing story turns down those features and contradicts them. This is why Zac and myself find this storytelling confusing.

There are a lot of works with symbolism, but they are done in a consistent, non-contradicting way, and this work certainly is not one of such works.

Yet, as I wrote, this work is certainly unique -- even though I think it could have been done stronger to earn even higher marks from the type of viewers such as myself or Zac, which can not just take whatever happens at face value, who feel that symbols should not be thrown-in just to never work or even be contradicted to later in the story. Also, ad hoc plot routines spoiler[ever wandering pointlessly in unpopulated forests monks, crows/ravens that go crazy at random point and want to kill someone] is also not everyone can like.

I can understand that most of people can overlook those issues and rather feel that demand for consistency in details as nitpicking. In this regard I am just saying that without those little inconsistencies even more people could fully submerge into the story.
Bonham

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:24 am Reply with quote
I'm too exhausted and don't really care enough to get heavily involved in what I feel are pedantic details, but I do want to say...

MaxSouth wrote:
Yet, as I wrote, this work is certainly unique -- even though I think it could have been done stronger to earn even higher marks from the type of viewers such as myself or Zac, which can not just take whatever happens at face value, who feel that symbols should not be thrown-in just to never work or even be contradicted to later in the story.

... that your grouping of Zac with your viewpoint is weird, as he is not the same "type" of viewer. Unless you're referring to another review he's done (maybe he mentioned Haibane on the most recent podcast?), he gave the series high marks across the board. He acknowledges that the series' refusal to expound upon all of its mysteries will be frustrating to some, but it's clearly a non-issue for him in the big picture.

As for your complaints: as I said before, while I understand why some people won't care for series like this, I just can't relate to those hang-ups. Plus, you seem to love Evangelion, which is deliberately obtuse about various plot and world mechanics that one could methodically pick apart various oddities -- unexplained or otherwise -- afford to it by the premise and presentation of its plot. But I just don't understand why someone would get swept up in all of those details.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:23 am Reply with quote
Though Abe stated catagorically that this wasn't based on, or related to any recognised religion, and I except that, however having been baptized and raised a Catholic, this could very well be an example of what Purgatory could be like. Even my parish priest agrees with me. The fundamentals are very similar.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I have some free time now, so why not address this?

MaxSouth wrote:
It seems I know some of the reasons why this anime did not become "masterpiece":

1) actual story only began from sixth episode. The first five series should have been made into just two introductory episodes.

If you believe this then you do not understand the purpose of those five episodes. It's called "world-building." This is not a frantic setting and some of what happens in those first five episodes is very delicate. While the pacing may not suit you, there's absolutely nothing wrong or slow about the execution here. I was fearful of sitting down to watch this series because it seemed like it might be a chore to sit through, but I was enthralled instead.

Quote:
2) the presented world itself is too artificial to allow users really submerge into the story: [spoiler tag removed because these details are all covered in the review] The city was created for the protection of the winged ones, but they all of sudden are only allowed to wear poor robes, they have no money, have some surrogates for that. If the idea for this city was such good, then why all of those nonsensical burdens?

Also, it is not clear why there are normal people in this closed city, if those people are not even engaged in protecting the winged ones. The winged ones work, supply and support themselves. And, by the way, it is not clear why the winged ones need "protection" in the first place. From whom?

Um, lots of people get submerged into the story. Just because you didn't doesn't mean that you can paint broad generalizations. As for the rest? That's left to the viewer to ponder because the why isn't actually important to the story being told here.

Quote:
Another mystery is why, according to the anime, all of sudden common people are not able to get over the wall and leave the city. They are not supposed to be affected by this limit of the city, the wall is not against them.

How do you know that? How the humans interact with the wall is never clarified.

Quote:
spoiler[As it turns out, the wall does not really mean anything even to the winged ones. Yes, one could get cold in winter, standing by that wall. However, one could catch a cold in any other place, too; it is not wall-specific phenomenon. And yes, one could fall from stairs and hurt his/her head. But this could happen at any place within the city however far from the wall. For touching the wall some "scary punishment" is promised, but it never comes even though the wall is touched in the series].

Boy, you flat-out missed a couple of key scenes here. spoiler[Touching the wall causes Haibane to go icy-numb; this happened to Rakka in the story and Reki's former boyfriend (forget his name) in a flashback. That's how Reki knew to treat Rakka. And Reki and her boyfriend being forced apart and even years later restricted from being in the same district seems like pretty harsh and weighty punishment. (We're never shown what causes the boyfriend to fall, either; the wall may have done something.)]

Quote:
spoiler[The anime says that winged newcomer has to walk along with the older ones to choose appropriate job. However, no job is actually get chosen this way, and the newcomer gets her job appointed by others. Another nonsensical detail.]

No, spoiler[Rakka did that so she could get exposed to the jobs being done by the other Haibane, as a way to help her figure out what she might want to do. She was never expected to pick a job on the spot, nor was this a requirement.]

Quote:
Forests in the closed city are said to be very dangerous, but, as it turns out, no one really got harmed there because of forest. There is no any danger -- unless if someone will get lost and will get stuck in a well, which is not forest's doing.

Um, a forest plays a big role in people getting lost in it. It's also close to the most dangerous part of the wall.

Quote:
spoiler[Yet there are monks wandering in those forests in any weather 24/7, according to the plot of this anime. No one knows why they do this. Maybe only for the occasion if any of the winged ones will come to this "dangerous" forest. As seen in this anime, the only "dangerous" thing is the forest could be those monks if some one of them would have sinister motives for wandering there, expecting his victims.]

Okay, whatever.

Quote:
spoiler[In the middle of the series ravens all of sudden decide to kill main heroine. They lured her, undressed, to that forest, to the well with metal cramp-like stairs during dark winter night. While wandering in the woods, monks usually check every forgotten well, hollow, burrow and pit. They obviously do it even in winters every night. Another weird plot routine.]

Wow, can you misinterpret what's going on any worse? The crows were trying to help her. (And as for the traders, spoiler[perhaps they saw Rakka's tracks and got curious.])

Quote:
Closer to the end of the anime, spoiler[second main winged heroine is said to lose her nimbus and become normal person that destined to live alone until the death, losing her memory -- if she will not be able to get rid of her sins.

However, this turned out to be lie, since she was perfectly certain that if she will get under imagined train that is made of clay, she will simply disappear, not turning into some lonely person living without memory in a distant land.]

Some of what you're saying here is just supposition, not anything firmly-established. Not sure where you're getting the "made of clay" from, and I doubt that spoiler[Reki would be so terrified if that was a better way out.]

Quote:
So if this anime would not dragged in the beginning and would not be so inconsistent and nonsensical in details (I agree with Zac's review on this), it could become truly unique. Even as it is now, it is certainly very unusual, but it lacks too much.

As others have said, you might want to go back and read Zac's review again, as you're clearly either remembering it wrong or being very selective in what details from it you use. His overall review was very positive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Boy, it is really myself who has to re-read Zac's review? He has put it very straightforward, blunt way: it has "confusing story".

Now, trying to play it down and saying that the inconsistencies do not matter makes no affect on the fact that the storytelling is not perfect, however much viewers want it to be.

Also, the fact that this project lacks in terms of consistency does not yet warrant overall negative view on this work. This show is good, and I rated it accordingly. If you would read what I wrote more closely, you could see that I was talking about that the show could earn even better marks if it would not be dragged in the beginning and had no those little nonsensical details. And I also stated that for most people it would not matter anyway (so I am not sure where I "generalized" anything). It just depends on how pedantic viewers are; and there are not many such as myself.

So I am not sure what is with this typical black-or-white cliche approach towards both anime and critical views of it. No, the anime is not perfect, alas. You can not play down the inconsistencies, they will not go away. And no, the fact that I am critiquing this show does not mean that I am not making overall positive rating of it or suggesting that Zac made negative rating.

I do not have the time to respond in detail -- yet; sorry -- but the idea that I get taught about "world-building" is ridiculous. I saw more than enough moving pictures titles (thousands; even though just four hundred anime specifically) to see when it is done the right way. Even among anime there are plenty of atmospheric and contemplative works that feel perfectly seamless in terms of pace and event density, and this work is blatantly not one of such. Five episodes could be shrank into two, without losing its slow pace or any details that matter.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
You keep saying it's a confusing story and pacing is slow then oh boy you'd better stay away from Texhnolyze. That anime is worse than Haibane Renmei.

I'm sorry all the criticisms you listed to me are subjective. You are complaining about first 5 epidsodes that they were nonsensical. It was anything but. Those were necessary for you to familiarise with the setting and the charms of the side character. spoiler[It was in good effect to see how devastated Rakka was when Kuu goes out of the wall.] The more you pay attention to these setup episodes, the more it makes sense in the later episodes. The only reason it would be bored for some anime viewers would be because it doesn't have the familiar character tropes beside the tomboy character.

From my impression of your posts, you are nitpicking things because you didn't really seem to have enjoyed this anime at all. If you didn't enjoy it that's fine but don't complain about small details that had the perfectly logical explanation. If I was to act like you, I'd be ripping all the modern anime now.

This anime had confusing story because it's supposed to mystery too. All the mystery anime are confusing, slow and muddled. This anime basically is putting you in the view of the main characters, you are not supposed to understand all the workings of the world she came to. She needs to find out in each single episodes. If the episodes cut down to 3 episodes, we couldn't really find more about the side characters and their close interaction. Find about how close they were was of utmost importance in the few later episodes.

The flaws you pointed out was your disappointments from your expectation. From what I read, I think you forced yourself to watch it to see the ending. That was the mistake from the start. This anime isn't meant to be a guilty pleasure. It was probably meant to be a personal commentary.

I have seen your anime list and yep, this anime is just not for you. I'm not going to judge your taste but it seems your expectation must have been unrealistic from the get go.

Last edited by Wrathful on Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Boy, it is really myself who has to re-read Zac's review? He has put it very straightforward, blunt way: it has "confusing story".

And you're completely ignoring the "beautiful, engaging, haunting and unique" (my emphasis added) comments and the near-across-the-board A+ ratings to cherry-pick out a comment that you're even taking out of context ("slow pacing and confusing story may turn off some viewers," which clearly includes you). And remember, that's just about the first four episodes - i.e., the episodes you're most complaining about - and some of that "confusing" aspect is balanced out by later episodes.

Quote:
Now, trying to play it down and saying that the inconsistencies do not matter makes no affect on the fact that the storytelling is not perfect, however much viewers want it to be.

Whoever said that it was perfect?

Quote:
Also, the fact that this project lacks in terms of consistency does not yet warrant overall negative view on this work. This show is good, and I rated it accordingly. If you would read what I wrote more closely, you could see that I was talking about that the show could earn even better marks if it would not be dragged in the beginning and had no those little nonsensical details. And I also stated that for most people it would not matter anyway (so I am not sure where I "generalized" anything). It just depends on how pedantic viewers are; and there are not many such as myself.

The inconsistencies that you keep talking about are apparently in your head. The series has sound internal logic; in other words, its rules are applied consistently and make sense within the framework of the series. What I think you're actually complaining about are things that aren't explained fully, not things that are inconsistent. And there I'd agree much more that there's room for complaint.

Quote:
I saw more than enough moving pictures titles (thousands; even though just four hundred anime specifically) to see when it is done the right way. Even among anime there are plenty of atmospheric and contemplative works that feel perfectly seamless in terms of pace and event density, and this work is blatantly not one of such. Five episodes could be shrank into two, without losing its slow pace or any details that matter.

Again, I went into this series with a mindset expecting it to be tediously slow and did not find it to actually be that way. I didn't feel that there was a single wasted scene in those first five episodes and thought the pacing was impeccable for what the series was doing. That I'm coming to this diametrically opposing conclusion despite having seen at least as much anime and general media as you have should be a big indicator that this work is not "blatant" about not being an atmospheric and contemplative work. In fact, if this one doesn't meet that definition, then what, in your view, does it take for an anime series to qualify?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I never said that the story was not engaging; overall it was, though not in the first five episodes.

Also, I admitted that not everyone requires logic and consistency in anime. You might want to compare Blast of Tempest previews by Zac and Theron and see the difference when one reviewers notices such things, and another does not.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
I never said that the story was not engaging; overall it was, though not in the first five episodes.
[...]

You are not the first one to have complained about the world-building episodes; but you were able to get past them, and that is the main thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5