• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-05-29]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quark

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
If I was the head honcho of a major US anime company, I would do what has been and should be done more oftern: Licensed simulcast subbed anime. Why? As someone who watches both legitimately viewable and pirated dubs/fansubs, I feel it is important to contribute to the anime industry. We otaku seem to take advantage like anime is a right we can just have or a luxury we rip off of. It's a privilege because the animators spend dozens of hours a week working on something that takes months to produce.

The thing is though, is that companies like Funimation and Viz are trying to get anime online, for free, as quickly as they can, so that the fans can have a legal alternative to fansubs. The fans response? Complain about loading times, video quality, inability to save the show to their hard drive, lack of soft subs, and so on, and then they just continue to download their fansubs anyway.
It makes me feel for those companies, because they make an honest effort to give people what they want, while at the same protecting their businesses, and these so-called-fans just crap all over it.
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
YES~! Eureka SeveN is awesome Very Happy Concur! Concur!

I'm glad someone else thinks so! (*author of message*) It might not really be the best starter for anime, and I might not really show it first, but not liking E7 would be pretty heartbreaking for me, haha.

Also, to Answerman, I'd consider removing the flake of the week seciton of your posts since most of the discussion seems to always end up getting wasted on it, and it's usually a lot of flaming involved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
21stcenturydigitalboy wrote:

Also, to Answerman, I'd consider removing the flake of the week seciton of your posts since most of the discussion seems to always end up getting wasted on it, and it's usually a lot of flaming involved.

Because 6 comments constitutes most? Seriously, it's not a big deal and it gives people a laugh. What's wrong with that?
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
For anyone interested in Kitaro there are two properties out that folks may enjoy.

For items released in the US the live action movie Kitaro is fun and then there is another film heavily influcenced by Kitaro's creator, The Great Yokai War.

Between Kitaro and The Great Yokai War folks may get the urge to learn more about yokai. I suggest they get Matt Alt's book Yokai Attack, in fact try to get the book first as a guide to 40 yokai you may see in the films.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
sailorneorune wrote:
Though it has already been said, if my company were offered Sailor Moon, I'd go for it.

We'll just pretend we have the necessary resources (a bunch of good voice actors, decent distribution, and the truckloads of cash needed to bribe everyone who has a piece of the SM license).

All 5 seasons would be reissued, and just for grins, we might start with Sailorstars, as that was never released in English-speaking countries.

Also just for grins, there would be a trade-in program. Are you one of the folks who bought a bootleg? No problem! Send it to us for recycling (read: Anime Expo bootleg-burning party) and get a voucher good for $10 off your brand-spanking-new bilingual, legitimate boxset of "SAILOR MOON SAILORSTARS - the complete fifth season".

And finally, just to mess with people's minds, I'd make the licensing announcement at OMGCon.

It's fun to pretend. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

This is absolute brilliance.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But anyway, Otomo's name does have a bit of clout, but really only when it comes to Akira. Considering that his only other animated feature - Steamboy - was a massive flop, it's probably disconcerting from a business perspective.

I'm sure Memories should be given a mention, even if such a show was stolen by Koji Morimoto's contribution. Come to think of it though, his directorial portfolio is still a little shallow. Just goes to show how important a hit like Akira can be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
iathomps

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:

I think Ever17, and maybe the first Higurashi game might make for a good first VN.

Ummm, If you are new to visual novels, Ever17 and Higurashi do NOT make for good first time games. trust me, both are very good, but they both use the conventions of the medium (not seeing the main character, multiple routes/player characters) to really mess with you, the player. If you are completely new, things will be very confusing very fast. Try to get a few VNs under your belt before tackling those suckers.

For a first time VN, I would heartily suggest True Remembrance.
http://trueremembrance.insani.org/
Its freeware, so its completely legal to download over the internet, its free of any H-scenes, its rather short (about 3-4 hours) and its also a very good story. Also good for first timers are Planetarian, Tsukihime (along with the plus disk and Katgetsu Tohya, sort of expansion packs for Tsukihime), and Wind: a breath of heart, which have the option of disabling erotic content.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Taking that extremely obvious joke seriously is like someone watching that "Motherlover" sketch from SNL a few weeks back and being legitimately shocked, dismayed, upset and concerned that these two young men were going to f*ck eachothers' mothers.

You mean people have issues with this form of sharing?
loka

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
my first major order of business as a US anime company would be license Garden of the Sinners, Kure-nai, and To Aru Majutsu no Index. They will make some money. From there, to license Yami to Bōshi to Hon no Tabibito (yami-bou), Ryofuko-chan, and Koharu Biyori.
Blue Moose

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:06 am Reply with quote
Former Anime Insider editor here--let me just tell you guys, a LOT of people believed the Stiller/Wilson gag. You have no idea.
strahl

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:24 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but the ignorants reccomending anime for someone the first time...Death note? Inu yasha?

Oh my good!! where all the glorious anime past went? it like it was erased from memory and never existed!!

Any anime fan can tell you that ROBOT CARNIVAL and AKIRA are the titles to introduce to the broad audience, and they weren't even mentioned!!

Im disappointed at the lack of respect that the new anime fans have for older titles.
irishninja

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:20 am Reply with quote
strahl wrote:
Any anime fan can tell you that ROBOT CARNIVAL and AKIRA are the titles to introduce to the broad audience, and they weren't even mentioned!!

Really? Hmm. I must respectfully disagree with this wide generalization. I hated Akira (although I loved the music) and was perplexed by Robot Carnival. Confused If those had been my introduction to anime, I might never have given the medium a second chance. (As it was, Speed Racer was my introduction when I was in, like, kindergarten. At the time I seem to recall thinking that Japanese cartoons were too weird for me. Robotech disabused me of that line of thought some 5-6 years later.)

I think, as many have pointed out, it's impossible to simply state "This is the one that will convert anyone to become an anime fan." You have to base your decision on the person's tastes for the maximum chance of conversion, rather than just try to force your favorites on an unsuspecting non-fan. Smile
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
The thing is though, is that companies like Funimation and Viz are trying to get anime online, for free, as quickly as they can, so that the fans can have a legal alternative to fansubs. The fans response? Complain about loading times, video quality, inability to save the show to their hard drive, lack of soft subs, and so on, and then they just continue to download their fansubs anyway.
It makes me feel for those companies, because they make an honest effort to give people what they want, while at the same protecting their businesses, and these so-called-fans just crap all over it.
You forgot about "no karaoke," "fonts are too boring," and "butchered/Westernized/Americanized subtitles" in that list of complaints. Although some of those complaints are justified...I tried going legit on Toei's Pretty Cure streams via Funimation's site, but the awful subtitle timing made the eps unwatchable.

Ioka wrote:
my first major order of business as a US anime company would be license Garden of the Sinners, Kure-nai, and To Aru Majutsu no Index. They will make some money. From there, to license Yami to Bōshi to Hon no Tabibito (yami-bou), Ryofuko-chan, and Koharu Biyori.
So are you going to release those under their incomprehensible Japanese titles? What's wrong with "Magical Index"? And good luck getting Koharu Biyori / Indian Summer; the folks at Sentai and ADV might make things difficult.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
About the having my own anime company thing.

First, I'd license Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei. It would be the best dub ever with cultural references in tact and wonderful translations of punch lines, and translator's notes, and the best voice acting ever, which will carry over the enthusiasm, sarcasm, and overall nuisances of the original. The DVDs will have good quality audio, and the Japanese audio will not be compressed in order to make the English audio even better. The DVDs will also come with clean opening and endings, translated interviews with the original voice actors, and a bonus full song ("As a Person, I am Twisted to the Core", the first opening). My company will revered forever, and SZS will be remembered as having the best dub ever (even better than Cowboy Bebop's and Fullmetal Alchemist's, they will say). Then, after the show is done, I would close the company. Funimation will buy SZS from me, but fans will complain about how the quality has gone down, and that it isn't the same, and that Funi ruined it. I will retire happily, and people will look upon me as one of the greatest dubbing companies, and a complete loss that I was gone. They will compare me to those who translated Final Fantasy and such.

Oh, alas, it's but a pipe dream.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
If I was the head honcho of a major US anime company, I would do what has been and should be done more oftern: Licensed simulcast subbed anime. Why? As someone who watches both legitimately viewable and pirated dubs/fansubs, I feel it is important to contribute to the anime industry. We otaku seem to take advantage like anime is a right we can just have or a luxury we rip off of. It's a privilege because the animators spend dozens of hours a week working on something that takes months to produce.

In fairness, some of the streams don't have any subs at all (like the Haruhi one), and most of the legit streaming services are only viewable in the u.s.a., so they're of no use to those in the u.k. and other English-speaking countries than the u.s.. I appreciate what the companies are doing, but I live in england, so I can't appreciate it all that much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4