• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: More Seikai Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilandau

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:56 am Reply with quote
I think I would probably have to agree with Toboe. Manga and Anime basicaly is main stream. But the overall perception of it is still a kids or 'nerdy-don't-wanna-grow-up' hobby. There is a distinct and seemingly impenetrable wall (in the west) to classify all animation/comics as cartoons.

The otaku would sorely miss the original artwork and such that comes along with many of the novel series' that we often bring up at ANN, but the fact remains that a few hardcore otaku are not going to even cover the cost of translation, let alone distribution rights, production, etc. It would have to be targeted toward a general audience.

Another problem of something like the Seikai/Boogiepop/Kino no Tabi series' is that you can't just pick-up the first few novels for translation. Its ALL or nothing.
Basroil Elite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Since the Seikai series started originally as a series of novels, what Toboe stated makes perfect sense. The novels wouldn't be "mangafied" etc. because they would be published in their original form. The novels were so popular in Japan that the anime was made, not visa versa.

If brought to the States, they would need to be targeted at the general sci-fi audience. (There is a large one - Just go to your local bookstore and check out the sci-fi section. It's probably larger than you'd expect.) With both the anime fans and general sci-fi fans as a target audience, the series would certainly sell well.

I disagree that the series is all-or-nothing when it comes to picking up the novels. Reading Crest I would probably make you want to read Crest II. Picking up Banner I without reading the Crest Trilogy first wouldn't create much of a problem. Morioka does review events from the past, and even so events in the Crest Trilogy don't need to be known to enjoy Banner I.

EDIT: Dilandau - I understand you now.

Last edited by Basroil Elite on Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Dilandau

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:50 am Reply with quote
What I meant by 'all-or-nothing' was in concern to licensing. The Japanese companies aren't going to let you buy pieces of a series. Thus the US company would have to pay licensing fees for the whole mess of books when they don't even know if it will make any profit or not (just like a tv series: all-or-nothing).
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Dilandau wrote:
What I meant by 'all-or-nothing' was in concern to licensing. The Japanese companies aren't going to let you buy pieces of a series. Thus the US company would have to pay licensing fees for the whole mess of books when they don't even know if it will make any profit or not (just like a tv series: all-or-nothing).

Not true. While a Japanese company could demand an all-or-nothing license, there have been plenty of times that a US company has only picked up one or two seasons of a long show. We don't have any precedent for novels yet, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of somebody bringing over one or two books at a time.
hkrok76

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:09 pm Reply with quote
the novellettes are awesome though..i've been looking for the seikai series novels at my local japanese bookstores, but they either don't carry it, or i just can't seem to find them. i don't read kanji...i have kino no tabi books 1 through 8, which is neat, but i really want those seikai books...if anyone could get me a picture of the spines and/or the covers, that'd be great ^^

other than that, we could always try to petition del rey...considering they are doing the manga line, and they are also a large publishing company, they might be able to do something with translating japanese novels for US release....just an idea.
Stueypark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:45 pm Reply with quote
actually, Tokyopop is behind the publication of the manga.
hkrok76

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:38 am Reply with quote
er, miswritten. manga line thing is what i meant. del rey only has about 4 titles iirc. i wasn't talking about del rey releasing the seikai mangas. although i wish they did....
ruinevil

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:35 am Reply with quote
Hmmm... you can only license part of a series. Just look at Naruto manga. Its only licensed through Volume 8 last time I checked. I also see Slayer novels, so its pretty possible for the Crest Novels to be release in the several years. I don't think its happening any time soon, cause they are killer to translate, too much military terminology; most fansub translators can't deal with that much jargon, I assume most paid translators will need to hire a consultant. It is one of the greatest animes of all time IMHO, so it is possible it will sell.

I bet CPM will do the novel.

ruinevil
Shovauk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:43 pm Reply with quote
So does anyone know if there is any plans of bringing anymore translating the novels into english in the near future and where could you find information about release dates or projects and such.
coldfusion5050

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Shovauk wrote:
So does anyone know if there is any plans of bringing anymore translating the novels into english in the near future and where could you find information about release dates or projects and such.

There are very very sparse rumors about the novel being released here, but I highly doubt it, which is a shame given that I am a huge fan of the series.

And in other news, I am glad to annouced the first news on Banner of the Stars III release. The Japanese release for the first Volume of Banner III is 8/26/2005 with no US release annouced. Also, Banner III, as rumored and posted elsewhere, is going to be an OAV/OVA release.

source: Amazon Japan - Banner III
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how long Banner III will be. None of the previous series ever went over 13 episodes, and 13 episodes for an OAV sounds good to me Anime smile. I'm hopeful that it will probably get licensed, so all we have to do now is wait...
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Dilandau wrote:

I don't think the Japanese publisher would want to shoot themselves in the foot by demanding up-front liscensing for the whole series. Crest of the Stars will be released by itself as a test of the market, and [i]if[/b] it is popular (which it should be, if translated right) then they can charge a hefty price for the remainder of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2