• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: J Industry Figures Downplay Report of 'Rape Game' Ban

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hayami

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:

I'm not sure of this is a coincidence, but Penn Jillette (of Penn & Teller, Bullsh*t, etc.) made a video yesterday on Youtube about this game. As usual he brings up good points.

Great tip, thanks. I love Penn's reasoning. I feel exactly the same. You don't tell me not to play rape games, violent games or not to read/watch similar manga/anime. Because the moment you do, you imply that either I could snap any time and hurt an innocent person, or that a game/manga/anime could affect my integrity as a human being and my sense of justice.

Though I think that bad parenting is not the only reason why some people become rapists or sadists in general while others not. Imo some people are naturally more capable of perceiving/acquiring compassion, conscience and even ethics.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm on the side that believes that banning a concept that harms no one is wrong. Sure, it's a touchy subject, and I can see why some would think it's lacking in taste. However, it isn't all that different from the large amount of violence in games. I've never understood why games like GTA might be decried for their violence, but weren't outright banned until someone discovered a mini-game were you make love to your girlfriend.

As for impact, I hear there are studies suggesting that countries with better access to sexual games and so on actually have lower crime rates. Why rape someone when you take it out on a 3D character? I've never liked how focused on rape some hentai can be, but I never equate it to real life. It's pretty much just a simple plot device most of the time. This game's been around for years. I played it a long time ago and pretty much forgot about it.They're just now having an issue with it?

You don't like it, don't play it. It's really that simple. Saying we're all closet rapists if we get some entertainment from a storyline like this is the real thing that's messed up.

Besides, remember prohibition. Nothing drives a man more to drink than not being able to. I'm sure there are now people that want to play this game simply to see what the fuss is about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

Quote:
The aim of the RapeLay game is for the player to repeatedly rape the mother and her daughters until they begin to “enjoy” the experience.

Rolling Eyes

Are you rolling your eyes because you think that's exaggerated/made-up? Because that really is the role of the game. Your a dude that likes to feel up girls on a train, you go to prison because one girl reports you, so you get revenge by raping her entire family. Repeatedly. It's sick.

Freedom of speech, why must you be such a double-edged sword? This is clearly wrong, but I don't want it banned... Ugh.

Oh, I was under the impression you rape your own family, how boring.

Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Besides, remember prohibition. Nothing drives a man more to drink than not being able to. I'm sure there are now people that want to play this game simply to see what the fuss is about.

Pretty much, just like I want to know which manga Chris Handley was importing. Making a fuss over things can get people interested for all the wrong reasons.

But why now and only against this game? I've seen hundreds of games, animation, manga, and etc that involve rape and more, even worse than anything this game could do. Also, if I know anything about these kinds of games, there's really no gameplay to them, you just kinda sit there and read and sometime see short animations. More a visual novel than an actual game, right?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Nobody is impressed by this crap, dude. I don't know why you try so hard to be this guy but you reek of effort.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Nobody is impressed by this crap, dude. I don't know why you try so hard to be this guy but you reek of effort.

The post from Dannychoo made it sound like it was

http://www.dannychoo.com/detail/mac/eng/image/19622/Rapelay.html

Quote:
"Ryojyoku" [凌辱] is a term in Japanese to refer to the act of insulting or violently raping.
The game Rapelay by Illusion is a ryojyoku eroge where the player can violently rape girls on the train and also rape their younger sister, mother, impregnate and force abortion.

So it sounded a lot worse than it is. Now it just sounds like a source of vengeance, which sounds exactly like that one hentai, Gold Throbber, which has almost the same plot, but no shining finger.
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
You don't like it, don't play it. It's really that simple. Saying we're all closet rapists if we get some entertainment from a storyline like this is the real thing that's messed up.

OK, really? I'm all for the whole, don't like it, don't play it. It's really that simple part. But......if you are entertained by rape.....yes, that is messed up! I'm sorry if that somehow upsets people, but rape is not entertainment to rational people!

I'm all for freedom of speech and couldn't really care less if it's banned or not, but for people to think a successful argument for freedom of speech somehow exonerates specific material doesn't fully grasp the concept. The KKK's horrible hate speech is protected by freedom of speech, but that sure as hell doesn't make it OK! If people want to cry "FREEDOM", that's just fine, knock yourself out! But just know, if you can't differentiate between what is right and what is wrong, all arguments are pointless.

Quote:
Besides, remember prohibition. Nothing drives a man more to drink than not being able to. I'm sure there are now people that want to play this game simply to see what the fuss is about

Again, really? I love a good drink as much as the next person, in fact, I think I will have one now, but making booze legal again after prohibition only made the problems of alcohol that more rampant. Nothing kills more people in the US then alcohol. I'm responsible, I'm sure all of you are responsible, but not everyone is. Are you saying the prevention of rape games will only make men want to rape more? Using prohibition as an example may not be the best choice.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:49 pm Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:

Quote:
Besides, remember prohibition. Nothing drives a man more to drink than not being able to. I'm sure there are now people that want to play this game simply to see what the fuss is about

Again, really? I love a good drink as much as the next person, in fact, I think I will have one now, but making booze legal again after prohibition only made the problems of alcohol that more rampant. Nothing kills more people in the US then alcohol. I'm responsible, I'm sure all of you are responsible, but not everyone is. Are you saying the prevention of rape games will only make men want to rape more? Using prohibition as an example may not be the best choice.

Pretty sure rape and being a drunk are mutually exclusive. Rape games exist because people get off to it, just like people love driving around in GTA and killing cops. It doesn't mean people are going to suddenly run around raping and killing because these games exist. If stuff like GTA really caused people to become more violent and loose control over their actions and thoughts, we'd see school shootings go up even faster. Eliminating the game isn't going to eliminate the idea of rape, and it's not like you can stop people having their own rape fantasies either. the stuff might be in bad taste, but it's not hurting or exploiting anyone in particular.
dizzon

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
dizzon wrote:

Quote:

Pretty sure rape and being a drunk are mutually exclusive. Rape games exist because people get off to it, just like people love driving around in GTA and killing cops. It doesn't mean people are going to suddenly run around raping and killing because these games exist. If stuff like GTA really caused people to become more violent and loose control over their actions and thoughts, we'd see school shootings go up even faster. Eliminating the game isn't going to eliminate the idea of rape, and it's not like you can stop people having their own rape fantasies either. the stuff might be in bad taste, but it's not hurting or exploiting anyone in particular.

So rape is caused by alcohol? Maybe if prohibition were still in effect, there would be less rape? Sorry, I was trying to tie them together for you, the post was eluding to the comparison of prohibition and rape games, how the poster I quoted thought depriving rape and depriving booze were the same thing(or at least that's what I got out of it). Well, in any case, I think you are missing my point, so I will try again. If you read my entire post, you will see the part where I say I couldn't care less if the game is banned or not(meaning, it's existence doesn't bother me). What I was getting at is certain speech and content is horrible reguardless of any actual recordable evidence. I don't need to see a woman raped to know its deplorable. It doesn't matter if rape games, killing games or whatever don't have widespread data concerning there influence, they are still horrible. But if that is what gets you off, have at it. bad is just bad. Again, I don't think any of this makes people want to do these horrible things, but that doesn't make these horrible things any less horrible.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Pretty sure rape and being a drunk are mutually exclusive.

So rape is caused by alcohol?

Lol... way to miss his point... "mutually exclusive" means they have no effect on each other. Go read a dictionary.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mutually%20exclusive?qsrc=2889
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:50 am Reply with quote
I was always under the impression that playing a game is for entertainment. Just how can this be entertaining? Quite frankly it's these kind of things that put Japan in a not too endearing light internationally when Japan is trying to sell its "Gross National Cool" to the world. The world is going to place the wrong definition to the word "Gross" with things like this, like it hasn't already. It's never going to stop these being made, but at least it is telling the world Japan is not happy about it, and is not turning a blind eye towards it.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:29 am Reply with quote
I don't like the notion that a game has to be entertaining. Sure alot of them do, but not everything can be entertaining. Watching documentaries of suffering or reading them isn't entertaining and are there to inform. I wish more game developers would do the same and make informative type gameplay games. I know there are some in Japan that has this, but this needs to be expanded. Not just in Japan and a few ideas.
zetubouzinsei

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
Liberal Democratic Party and Komeito Party (government parties in Japan) started the review team for regulating sexual-violence game.
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/national/news/20090529-OYT1T01068.htm
(in Japanese)
dizzon

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
dizzon wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Pretty sure rape and being a drunk are mutually exclusive.

So rape is caused by alcohol?

Lol... way to miss his point... "mutually exclusive" means they have no effect on each other. Go read a dictionary.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mutually%20exclusive?qsrc=2889

Speaking of missing the point, I shouldn't be surprised that once again someone has missed mine. I know what the term "mutually exclusive" means, but thanks for playing along. You see, one poster I responded to was trying to link prohibition with rape games, followed by another poster missing the point of said response and trying to drop the whole "mutually exclusive" line when it was perfectly obvious that my response already conveyed that, in which case, out of sarcasm(which I thought I made clear in the post) I asked questions that were not meant to be taken seriously as a way of driving home the point that, "yes, I know they are mutually exclusive, that is evident in my post, do you think I'm stupid?". But I guess my posts were not clear or sarcastic enough for everyone to follow. In the future I will work on both.

By the way, good job taking one line at the start of my post completely out of context, it's not like reading the whole post is useful.
KendoGirl

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm personally torn when it comes to things like this.

On one hand, I feel terribly uncomfortable thinking about the kinds of people who would be entertained as the thought of forced abortion, underage rape, stalking.

In my eyes, as someone who has been on the receiving end of similar unwanted attention, I hate the idea that people who act out fantasies in games would want to try their luck at doing it in real life. I know that it is supposed to be "harmless" as most won't act on it, but there's always the minority who go out there and do the wrong thing.

On the other hand, I understand that the people who play simply for sexual fantasy will lose out through no fault of their own. They will be losing out which is unfortunate for them. It also raises questions about what would next be in their sights to ban.

Anime would not be banned as a result of this game but I think there will be a review of the ratings system used to classify these products.

Regardless of the outcome, I think that using foreign terms like "eroge" to describe the games is deceptive. "Eroge" looks softer on paper than "Rape simulator", which is what the game is. Hopefully people selling these games online will better word their advertisements to help protect against future outcry?
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:41 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I was always under the impression that playing a game is for entertainment. Just how can this be entertaining? Quite frankly it's these kind of things that put Japan in a not too endearing light internationally when Japan is trying to sell its "Gross National Cool" to the world. The world is going to place the wrong definition to the word "Gross" with things like this, like it hasn't already. It's never going to stop these being made, but at least it is telling the world Japan is not happy about it, and is not turning a blind eye towards it.

So you play computer games for entertainment, right? You play games in which you're killing people, right? Just how can this be entertaining?

If they ban games involving rape, they should also ban games involving killing people. Period.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3