• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Network Taken Off Comcast, Put on DirecTV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sakuramusicstar

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Damn I was starting to get back into Getbackers and D N Angel after that time Anime Network was taken off for a while and when it come back on it was already the end of both series which pissed me off greatly. I guess that I have to finish watching both series online then since I can't be in the comfort of my bed to watch them anymore. Sad
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
I had noticed they had cut down Anime Selects significantly. They made Anime Network's offering amount a joke in comparison at one time.

Comcast owns/runs Select On Demand (Anime Selects and other programming for SOD) and likely has at least some control/partnership of the new replacement of Anime Selects, hence why it had a lot more storage capacity compared to third party providers like Anime Network.

Easier to get in the castle, when one owns the castle in the first place.

Last edited by SXAniMedia on Fri May 29, 2009 11:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty bummed about this news. I was really looking forward to Gakuen Alice, Maria Watches Over Us, Orphen and other shows that were coming to Anime Network this summer.

I've had some horrible experiences with Comcast over the few years since I switched from DirecTV. These include nearly 8 weeks with no On Demand service at all, defective cable boxes (We know they're bad, and are considering switching vendors, but we can't do anything for you right now..), and even one incident of being sworn at by a customer rep. But I think this will be the final straw that causes me to switch back to DirecTV. I just don't know what to do for High Speed Internet. My only other options are Windstream DSL and it's considerably slower.

I wonder when the channel will finally be taken down. It's still showing in the free area, though the PPV section is gone.
nickm01

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
What channel is it suppose to be on, dont see anything on the direct tv website listing it.
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:54 am Reply with quote
nickm01 wrote:
What channel is it suppose to be on, don't see anything on the direct tv website listing it.

You need the HD DVR "HR20" set top box with broadband connection. Anime Network VOD is on channel 1889 on DTV.
slickwolfie

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm sad to see that Comcast will not continue their VOD service with The Anime Network. I am a huge supporter of ADV Films and TAN. If not for them, I would have never become such a huge anime fan. I will always support them, and will gladly switch over to Direct TV to continue to be able to watch all of their great shows.
Slick
Katane

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:54 am Reply with quote
OH-HELL-NO!!!!!! WHEN WILL IT END? First Anime Select now this? Now this leaves me with only FUnimation and Adult Swim. This is now a new reason why I hate Comcast and pretty soon I'm going to be done with Death Note and Gunslinger Girl, that is if IFC and Cartoon Network/Adult Swim isn't next. Once again I say, Comcast charges way too much for very little. THIS REALLY SUCKS!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
ayashe

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
Oh well. That's the only anime On Demand I watched, and I only watched it once since it only ever had two episodes subbed. I thought that was what was happening when I saw that most shows on there were all expiring, even the episodes that were new.
Slowzhand

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:53 pm Reply with quote
So far, I'm safe with my TWC... *crosses fingers*

I can only hope that we continue to keep TAN. I see that this coming week that we will be getting two new shows - I am fairly new to the anime game, so practically everything is new to me, even the older shows they have on.

I have been slowly building up my DVD library and hope that TAN stays on my On Demand channels. Exclamation
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Well if my mother's Comcast On Demand would work 50% of the time when I tried, I'd probably be more upset about this, but if I still get the Funimation anime, specifically XXXholic, I'm ok.

I have DirectTV at home though, have yet to figure out where the free on demand content is, and well... I have my doubts about it being on demand. All I know is if they're gonna charge me to try and watch it after watching it for free on Comcast, forget about it.
Katane

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
And speaking of Funimation, I'm a fan of Funimation as much as the next person but even I have to say enough is enough with Funimation for a while. At this rate in my opinion Funimation will pretty much become a monopoly. In case they haven't realize people want to watch Anime that's not exclusively theirs, Comcast better realize this too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Katane wrote:
OH-HELL-NO!!!!!! WHEN WILL IT END? First Anime Select now this? Now this leaves me with only FUnimation and Adult Swim

You ever check out the Something Weird section? I know it's various old school stuff, but some of it's worth a look, if nothing else, for the cheese factor.

It's too bad there won't be any more Anime Network on Comcast. If Funimation is going to be the only anime On Demand on the block, I hope we'll at least see a better selection and more subtitled episodes. Furthermore, I hope they'll consider adding the linear channel to its lineup (at least in my area).
Katane

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Wrial Huden wrote:
Katane wrote:
OH-HELL-NO!!!!!! WHEN WILL IT END? First Anime Select now this? Now this leaves me with only FUnimation and Adult Swim

You ever check out the Something Weird section? I know it's various old school stuff, but some of it's worth a look, if nothing else, for the cheese factor.

It's too bad there won't be any more Anime Network on Comcast. If Funimation is going to be the only anime On Demand on the block, I hope we'll at least see a better selection and more subtitled episodes. Furthermore, I hope they'll consider adding the linear channel to its lineup (at least in my area).

Maybe that'll happen but then again, that's too much like right with Comcast. I did check the Something Weird a while back ago but I haven't been paying too much attention to it. If I haven't been watching Anime I either had been watching Deadliest Warrior, The Ultimate Fighter although I missed a few episodes, or anything UFC or WEC or the NBA Playoffs. Too bad the Lakers are in the Finals but we'll save that discussion for another time.
tweetyjgrl

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm sorry for those that are using Comcast. I'm on BrightHouse and I still have the service. I hope that this doesn't affect the VOD services that Anime Network offers on other systems.
Dark Chi

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
It could've been worse. Comcast could've just removed anime completely from VOD if they wanted to.
At least I get to finally watch some shows I haven't had a chance to see.

At this point, I really don't care if the new channel is called FUNimation Anime or if TAN comes back and calls itself ADV Channel. Whoever is airing anime, I'll support. Yeah, Comcast sucks. But they really could've just killed the anime programming completely if they really wanted to.

That's me looking at this from a different perspective. Anime dazed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3