• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Network Taken Off Comcast, Put on DirecTV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Katane

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Maybe, but who's to say that that won't be Comcast's next move sometime down in the future? Since Comcast has gotten rid of Anime Selects and The Anime Network is next Who's to say? In fact that's a possibility that I'm willing to leave up in the air.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Altorrin

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote
It was on Comcast? I thought it was on DirecTV, which is what I was complaining about to myself all these years, saying "Why can't Comcast have anything good? Like that Anime Network, for one." But they were AT Comcast.

I'm so stupid. All this time...I've been so ignorant. So, so ignorant.
JaxsonJaguar

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
Do they mean next Friday cause I still got it.
Aeria

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:03 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Well if my mother's Comcast On Demand would work 50% of the time when I tried,

Huh, your Mother's had/having trouble with that, too? It's always been hit or miss for me, but my internet, which is provided by Comcast as well, has always been sporadic so I assumed it was wiring or some other technical stuff I've no knowledge in. Too bad they're the only ones who come out here aside from Surewest (Which is strangely worse). I can survive without cable but not without internet. Razz

Anyway, I would be upset if my cable wasn't prone to freezing, my On Demand, you know, worked, and my internet didn't cut all the time, but as such I can only say ADV's made a smart decision. Comcast is really bottom of the barrel in my experience.
Dark Chi

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Just realized...if ADV/TAN wanted to keep playing on Comcast, don't you think we would've seen some sort of call to action or something back in April or earlier? They would've said something at conventions or even made mention that their VOD service is being evaluated and need the support of fans to keep it going on Comcast. Like those times when they were all over the place saying "Call your cable operators and let them know you Demand The Anime Network". Remember those days?

It really looks to me that this was mutual and that ADV/TAN allowed Comcast to go ahead and drop them.

Also, I'm not really getting why people are upset that FUNimation Anime is showing mostly titles from FUNimation. I remember watching TAN and when they started it was mostly - like 98% of the time - ADV's titles. It wasn't until recently that they added titles from other distribs. They had 7-6 yrs to prove themselves. I guess when it was time re-evaluate the channel, I guess one of their provisions wasn't met - like making $$ and getting a lot of viewers.

Again, putting this all in perspective.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Dark Chi wrote:
Just realized...if ADV/TAN wanted to keep playing on Comcast, don't you think we would've seen some sort of call to action or something back in April or earlier? They would've said something at conventions or even made mention that their VOD service is being evaluated and need the support of fans to keep it going on Comcast. Like those times when they were all over the place saying "Call your cable operators and let them know you Demand The Anime Network". Remember those days?

It really looks to me that this was mutual and that ADV/TAN allowed Comcast to go ahead and drop them.

Also, I'm not really getting why people are upset that FUNimation Anime is showing mostly titles from FUNimation. I remember watching TAN and when they started it was mostly - like 98% of the time - ADV's titles. It wasn't until recently that they added titles from other distribs. They had 7-6 yrs to prove themselves. I guess when it was time re-evaluate the channel, I guess one of their provisions wasn't met - like making $$ and getting a lot of viewers.

Again, putting this all in perspective.

First of all, negotiations between cable operators and programming providers are confidential. ADV wouldn't have come out in April and stated "We need your support to stay on Comcast", or whatever, because media companies don't do that. Remember when Dish Networks contract expired with Viacom, no one had any idea until just before Dish pulled the channels. And in that case, the channels stayed out for a couple weeks. It's entirely possible the same could happen here.

We don't know the reason the channel is getting pulled, other than what Comcast has been telling callers. I was told by the their customer service, that "the contract with the channel has expired, and has not been renewed yet." That makes it sound like the two parties haven't been able to meet a mutually satisfactory agreement.

I for one am upset that the channel has been removed, as it was a primary reason I switched from DirecTV several years ago. And now it may be primary reason I switch back.

And I get wanting to support anime on Comcast, regardless of who puts it there, but the Funimation Channel just isn't airing anything I want to see. I can't stand the dub for Ouran. I already own Devil May Cry, and don't like Kenichi. As for Aquarion and the others, they are all streaming online for free, both subbed and dubbed. The channel just doesn't offer anything for me at this time.

Anime Network had several shows I was watching, and rewatching, and several I was looking forward to, such as Orphen, Gakuen Alice, Aria, and Maria Watches Over Us. And even though I'm mainly a dub fan, I really appreciated that fact that they offered many subtitled series and appealed to a different set of fans.
Dark Chi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
So far, I don't see any "call to action" types of announcements from ADV/TAN. If they really wanted to stay on Comcast, we would've seen some kind of official press release or announcement on their website about having fans call and harrass Comcast to the point of getting arrested to have TAN back on. I just don't see that kind of talk coming out of ADV/TAN.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
The bottom line is that the gross number of different anime shows on Comcast On Demand has dropped since these moves. Not only that, but Funimation is releasing episodes more slowly now as well.

I'm finding it harder and harder to justify holding onto Comcast, but really, until a clearly better solution comes along (in my area), I guess I'll just have to suck it up. Sad
Katane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
Not only that, the excuse that Comcast gave me when they said they were getting rid of Anime Selects was off the wall. Take a look for yourselves:

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:13:34 PM

Hi Viewer,

Thanks for your email. I appreciate the support you gave for Anime Selects. Having programmed the channel, I'm glad to read that viewers such as yourself enjoyed what I was able to air.

But sadly, times have changed and the anime industry is just trying to survive. Anime Selects wasn't immune to the changes so in order to continue providing anime to viewers such as yourself, we partnered with FUNimation. I appreciate your concern that you feel about an all FUNimation lineup. Rest assured that we are still airing titles from other distributors. We still have some titles from Anime Selects that we can re-air and starting in June, we will start airing "Nana" a title from Viz. In July, look for "Honey and Clover" and later in the year we'll air "Monster" and "Buso Renkin".

I recommend that you visit and check out our Facebook group page at:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14874805385

There you can learn about updates, stunts and offer direct feedback to the programmer, which happens to be me Smile

Thanks for your continued support for anime on VOD.

Later!
Amanda

Ok maybe the Anime industry is hurting a bit but getting rid of Anime Selects is not helping the cause, plus Funi streaming VIZ's Anime now, what's the point other to become a monopoly as I'm predicting? They didn't have to get rid of Anime Selects for that. So if this is the excuse for getting rid of Anime Selects, I would hate to see the excuse for not keeping the Anime Network.

One more thing on a side note: FACEBOOK SUCKS!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dark Chi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:58 am Reply with quote
Katane wrote:
Not only that, the excuse that Comcast gave me when they said they were getting rid of Anime Selects was off the wall. Take a look for yourselves:

Hi Viewer,

Thanks for your email. I appreciate the support you gave for Anime Selects. Having programmed the channel, I'm glad to read that viewers such as yourself enjoyed what I was able to air.

But sadly, times have changed and the anime industry is just trying to survive. Anime Selects wasn't immune to the changes so in order to continue providing anime to viewers such as yourself, we partnered with FUNimation. I appreciate your concern that you feel about an all FUNimation lineup. Rest assured that we are still airing titles from other distributors. We still have some titles from Anime Selects that we can re-air and starting in June, we will start airing "Nana" a title from Viz. In July, look for "Honey and Clover" and later in the year we'll air "Monster" and "Buso Renkin".

There you can learn about updates, stunts and offer direct feedback to the programmer, which happens to be me Smile

Later!
Amanda

Ok maybe the Anime industry is hurting a bit but getting rid of Anime Selects is not helping the cause, plus Funi streaming VIZ's Anime now, what's the point other to become a monopoly as I'm predicting? They didn't have to get rid of Anime Selects for that. So if this is the excuse for getting rid of Anime Selects, I would hate to see the excuse for not keeping the Anime Network.

Not sure how that can be off the wall? Confused At least you got an answer. I didn't get an answer from TAN when I asked what happened.
I think the anime industry is hurting more than a bit these days, wouldn't you agree?
Plus, the person said they will still air shows that aired on Anime Selects. I'm going to give the channel a chance. I may not be as fanatic as most, but I really am enjoying seeing shows I haven't seen yet.

We're just not used to change...or the truth, I guess?

And Facebook does suck Surprised
Katane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Dark Chi wrote:
Katane wrote:

Hi Viewer,

Later!
Amanda

Not sure how that can be off the wall? Confused At least you got an answer. I didn't get an answer from TAN when I asked what happened.
I think the anime industry is hurting more than a bit these days, wouldn't you agree?
Plus, the person said they will still air shows that aired on Anime Selects. I'm going to give the channel a chance. I may not be as fanatic as most, but I really am enjoying seeing shows I haven't seen yet.

It's off the wall beacuse it doesn't sense by Getting rid of Anime Selects, The Anime Network and making Comcast pretty exclusive to Funimation. Plus they are going to start showing some of VIZ's Anime that Funimation Channel will be airing, They could've kept Anime Selects and still showed NANA, Honey And CLover and
Buso Renkin. It's not that that I fear change, I just can't support these moves Comcast is making. Up next to go I bet will be Adult Swim.
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Dark Chi wrote:
I didn't get an answer from TAN when I asked what happened.

Anime Network abandoned the call to arms, Call your cable company mantra years ago fyi. Because it doesn't really work, Anime fans do not have critical mass and numbers to be able to change things in recent times... Illegal distribution of anime and those who support legal (apathy) has marginalized legal distribution methods, on top of the industries problems of the last few years... there is a contraction in the market.

You did not get an answer from Anime Network because obviously they are in negotiations or will be in negotiations (or whatever is going on that we as fans are not privy to) or maybe Anime Network simply can not do anything about it -- I don't know. The more Anime Network talks about this, likely the more negative ramifications there could be. Anime Network, and content providers are beholden to Comcast or any other cable provider unless there is some sort of critical mass that can be used as leverage (and it's not like Anime industry is widely popular at the moment in terms of monetization and legal viewers... so that leverage once there is diminished) -- so I doubt they will want to say anything to jeopardize current or future relations. Even I (as a Comcast customer) was blindsided by the news (only heard about it while they were making their official post), and I've been there helping them out for over 3 years as their senior mod and unofficial viewer relations. Unfortunately, there is a limit to what they and a lot of Anime companies are able to disclose to us fans, that's the nature of the industry for a wide variety of reasons.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
ADVNation wrote:
Dark Chi wrote:
I didn't get an answer from TAN when I asked what happened.

Anime Network abandoned the call to arms, Call your cable company mantra years ago fyi. Because it doesn't really work, Anime fans do not have critical mass and numbers to be able to change things in recent times... Illegal distribution of anime and those who support legal (apathy) has marginalized legal distribution methods, on top of the industries problems of the last few years... there is a contraction in the market.

You did not get an answer from Anime Network because obviously they are in negotiations or will be in negotiations (or whatever is going on that we as fans are not privy to) or maybe Anime Network simply can not do anything about it -- I don't know. The more Anime Network talks about this, likely the more negative ramifications there could be. Anime Network, and content providers are beholden to Comcast or any other cable provider unless there is some sort of critical mass that can be used as leverage (and it's not like Anime industry is widely popular at the moment in terms of monetization and legal viewers... so that leverage once there is diminished) -- so I doubt they will want to say anything to jeopardize current or future relations. Even I (as a Comcast customer) was blindsided by the news (only heard about it while they were making their official post), and I've been there helping them out for over 3 years as their senior mod and unofficial viewer relations. Unfortunately, there is a limit to what they and a lot of Anime companies are able to disclose to us fans, that's the nature of the industry for a wide variety of reasons.

Exactly, Anime Network is not going to go out and tell people to "annoy the hell out of Comcast, until they add us back". That type of play will only work for large players like Viacom or Time Warner, who literally have millions of viewers. The cable or satellite operators in those cases have just as much to loose as the network providers.

In this case, Comcast is only dealing with a few thousand viewers, so if TAN would make a big issue of it, and cause problems for Comcast in the process, it could just create even more problems. If the cable operator noticed they were posting online telling people to "Call Comcast and Threaten to Leave for Another Provider", they could easily just call of any negotiations and refuse to start them. As much as it sucks, Anime Network needs Comcast more than Comcast needs them.

Though just because TAN hasn't issued a call to arms, doesn't mean I can't be a pain in Comcast's ass all on my own. Twisted Evil
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Dark Chi wrote:
Katane wrote:

Hi Viewer,

Later!
Amanda

Excuse me bra, facebook doesn't suck, made some changes doesn't mean it sucks.
Katane

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I've never liked Facebook before the changes, I still don't now and the only thing worse than Facebook is Twitter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3