• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece's Newest Episode Leaked Before Japan's Debut

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
The article mentions that May 31st 9:30 AM is May 30th 7:30 PM (Eastern time) in the U.S.. Normally that would be the case, but my understanding is that it would at this point be 8:30 PM because Japan doesn't follow Daylight Savings Time. So that part of the article might want to be corrected...unless I'm completely mistaken.

As for the Funimation version of the episode being leaked even before the Japanese broadcast of the episode. I don't think this should be downplayed. It could very well have potential ramifications. Fuji TV and Toei could dissolve the partnership if they think Funimation is too "baka" to effectively honor their end of the partnership. FUNi should be lucky that Fuji and Toei is allowing FUNi to do this at all. They (Fuji and Toei) didn't have to allow this to happen (and actually they still don't); this is after all, meant for JAPANESE viewers. They could discontinue this at any time. For that reason, what those illegal distributors were doing was (aside from illegal) was ungrateful and selfish. They (along with the rest of us, actually) should be lucky that the consortium isn't charging us money for this (and should be even luckier that they aren't forcing a a DRM-encoded, download-to-own model on us).

Sorry for the long post, but I'm just saying. FWIW though, on FUNi's end this has to be extremely embarassing for them.
xScar

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:51 am Reply with quote
I think people might be misunderstanding the joint... it's not all just FUNi.

If you go to onepieceofficial, and you look at the very end of the video, these are the copyright/credits/whatever.

FILM (C) 1999 Toei Animation Co., Ltd.
English Subtitle (C) 2009 Shueisha, Fuji TV, Toei Animation
(C) Eiichiro Oda/Shueisha, Toei Animation
License coordinated by FUNimation Entertainment

So from that, it, too me, looks like the only thing FUNi has to do with this is that it owns the license for One Piece. Everything else seems to be done by the Japanese companies, not FUNi... even though you would think it would be FUNi who was subbing it...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:13 am Reply with quote
It only highlights how much Broadcast Television is becoming more irrelevant in the 21st. Century, a situation that is scaring the bjesus out of a lot of broadcasters, and sending their stocks plummeting. It won't be long before we all have to log on to our computers to view anything and broadcasting transmissions electro magnetically through the air will go the way of the telegraph. But just remember that invention was the first digital transmission down a wire, and the best paid telegraphers were the one's who could tap the key and decypher the fastest. In short, what goes around, comes around. Wink

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sat May 30, 2009 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Primus

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:16 am Reply with quote
Wow, that is a pretty dick move by who ever did that. In fact, it's a really dick move. The ****er couldn't wait a day and watch it with English subtitles the same day Japan got it? No wonder many Japanese companies are still afraid of the internet (Toei included, One Piece is AFAIK the only show they're streaming the day it airs in Japan).
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:30 am Reply with quote
Meh I wouldn't sweat it.
Look at Wolverine.
melonbread

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:48 am Reply with quote
Hrm.

To be honest, the things I've heard about Japanese companies like Toei I wouldn't be surprised if Toei didn't even know about this happening.

I read a quote somewhere from (I think a high-up lady from Production I.G) who said she didn't know fansubs existed.

But nah, Toei can't be -that- stupid...

This really is a huge slap in the face for everyone involved and I really wouldn't be surprised if this seriously hurt the Funi-Toei relationship. Though I'm feeling that it will be okay...
GaryPotter

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:14 am Reply with quote
Anyone who thinks TV is going to die is smoking wacko tobacco.

But yeah, this just proves to me that Toei ought to get OP back on TV here in the states and reconsidered the whole streaming thing.
Masura

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:35 am Reply with quote
I honestly dont think this is that bad, this is something new, so there are going to be tweaks to be made, it could be possible that FUNimation uploaded the video, but it accidently loaded to the video page before they wanted it to. Be paitent, i've noticed all of the most recent episodes of One Piece have been taken down, so something is going one, the company itself has yet to say anything.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Wow, that is a pretty dick move by who ever did that. In fact, it's a really dick move. The ****er couldn't wait a day and watch it with English subtitles the same day Japan got it? No wonder many Japanese companies are still afraid of the internet (Toei included, One Piece is AFAIK the only show they're streaming the day it airs in Japan).

Seconded. Impatient twerps.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote
This is why we can't have nice things. Funi did screw up by making it as accessible as they did, but ultimately the scumbag(s) who redistributed it are to blame. Hopefully this doesn't hurt the business relationship between Funi and Toei. Fans are finally getting what they've been asking for for a long time with the simulcast, but it's not good enough for some. Too bad it's fiscally improbable that Funi would track down and prosecute the thieves.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote
Hopefully, they'll prosecute the person who found the backdoor in.

That is really embarrasing. What would have happened if something more damaging was found and released?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:49 am Reply with quote
I swear, some "fans" will do anything to run other people's enjoyment of some shows. Too many these days are impatient as well I've noticed.

But I will only watch and purchase Funimation's uncut, unedited version of One Piece. You just can't go wrong with Luci Christian and Collen Clinkenbeard.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
The article mentions that May 31st 9:30 AM is May 30th 7:30 PM (Eastern time) in the U.S.. Normally that would be the case, but my understanding is that it would at this point be 8:30 PM because Japan doesn't follow Daylight Savings Time. So that part of the article might want to be corrected...unless I'm completely mistaken.

The article wrote:
The episode was not supposed to premiere in Japan until Sunday, June 1 at 9:30 a.m. (Saturday, May 30 at 7:30 p.m. CDT).

CDT is Central Daylight Time, one hour after Eastern Daylight Time.
Dune

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
Seconded. Impatient twerps.

Thirded. The sense of entitlement some people get from using the internet is truly remarkable.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
@Egan Loo:

I just read the article again, and you were right. Sorry, my bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 35