• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ouran High School Host Club DVD - Season 1 Part 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
A very similar series that I thought did a much better job of turning dramatic in its last 2-3 episodes in order to give the anime version some kind of resolution is Fruits Basket. The writing there was so much better and it was built much more solidly on a foundation that had been gradually laid out over the course of the series. As a result, the tension there didn't feel as manufactured and forced as it did here.

Yeah, but Fruits Basket itself was never a pure comedy. There was always dramatic tension - in fact, the final episodes of the anime take place much earlier in the manga (like the Ouran episodes, in fact). And good lord does the manga ever stop being a comedy altogether by the time it's done! That show was a giant ball of angst from start to finish with a comedic veneer.

So I ask: would you have preferred that they left the Tamaki backstory in the middle of the show (as it is in the manga) as opposed to being the climax? Having it be just another event that happened, with a wacky finale? It would be a possibility, and it might have worked better (although as said, I liked having it end on Haruhi realizing she actually has enjoyed herself in the club throughout when threatened with losing it). It'll be interesting to see how the manga finally winds up finishing.
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
So I ask: would you have preferred that they left the Tamaki backstory in the middle of the show (as it is in the manga) as opposed to being the climax? Having it be just another event that happened, with a wacky finale? It would be a possibility, and it might have worked better (although as said, I liked having it end on Haruhi realizing she actually has enjoyed herself in the club throughout when threatened with losing it). It'll be interesting to see how the manga finally winds up finishing.

No, I just would have like to see more establishment scenes earlier in the anime and a better sense of progression towards that conclusion. (And remember, some of the background on some characters is stuff that the viewer is privy to but Haruhi isn't, so that can't count as supporting material.) Given that the series used the light bulb gimmick throughout to indicate people figuring out that Haruhi was actually a girl, some equivalent to that showing how Haruhi came to see the club as a family unit would've been appropriate.

Enh, my only real complaint about the series is not being able to buy spoiler[Haruhi's earnestness to recover Tamaki] at the end. Otherwise I enjoyed the series a lot more than I expected to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
As a whole I liked the show, but I am more or less neutral about the ending. To me for a show that doesn't take it self seriously, but has a serious ending can either be good or bad for the show as a whole depending on how it's done. While OHSHC's ending I think felt a bit rushed since spoiler[it's just came out of nowhere and it wasn't hinted in any of the previous episodes about something like this happened.] Now if it had worked up to this, then the ending would have been great for the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I thought the last two episodes were OK, though they weren't as good as the others. The spoiler[car chase and evil fiancee was tiresome, but I enjoyed the all the bits with Kyouya and Haruhi, and I love whenever Honey kicks butt Anime hyper]. Also, one of my favorite parts in the series, and it's dub only, is the dance at the very end. I absolutely *loved* the dialogue that the dub VAs added there. It was perfect.

I watched both the sub and the dub. I thought for the most part the dub voice actors were very good. I think Vic was good when Tamaki was high or comedic, but didn't nail the sensitive moments when he slowed down. Kyouya's VA was excellent, as was Honey-sempai's and Mori's (though he said little). The twins' VAs did a really great job, and I can't believe how they nailed the lines they had to speak in unison. And Haruhi's was absolutely wonderful. The casting was very good.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
A very similar series that I thought did a much better job of turning dramatic in its last 2-3 episodes in order to give the anime version some kind of resolution is Fruits Basket. The writing there was so much better and it was built much more solidly on a foundation that had been gradually laid out over the course of the series. As a result, the tension there didn't feel as manufactured and forced as it did here.

The difference between Fruits Basket and Ouran High School Host Club with regard to their endings is rather interesting in that Fruit Basket's ending worked somewhat better dramatically speaking and had rather better build up to it, but it seriously deviated from the source material and made it very difficult - if not impossible - to continue the anime at a later date if they felt so inclined. OHSHC's ending had considerably less build up to it, but it didn't particularly deviate from the manga (certainly not from the portions that have been released in the US thus far) and does not at all prevent them from making more later if they so desired. OHSHC managed to present an ending that was somewhat dramatic (though still quite funny) and brought an actual ending to the series without doing anything that would prevent them from making more later if they decide that they want to. As a result, I much prefer OHSHC's ending to Fruit Basket's.

The drama in OHSHC's ending did lack some build up, but I don't think that anything that happened in it was unwarranted. As others have pointed out, it was more like Haruhi realized that she spoiler[enjoyed the club and wanted them to stay together than her realizing that she was in love with Tamaki or anything like that]. They managed to produce an ending which (I thought) worked fairly well if they never make more OHSHC but allows them to make more if they ever decide that they want to. In that respect, it does far better than a lot of other 26 episode manga adaptations out there. And really, I have to disagree about the ending in general. No, it wasn't perfect, but I thought that it fit fairly well and was quite good. It's certainly better than ending on some random comedy like most of the episodes are.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:27 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
It goes to show you that you shoudn't judge a book by it's colors.

That metaphor is so not applicable to this situation. Rolling Eyes

And phoenixphire24: Plot? What plot?

Plot might not be the best word, however, I would have to say that the manga, while still very silly and comedic, has a lot more drama and character development than the anime. Most of the characters have a larger and more in depth story. Yes, there is an overall plot of who, if anyone, Haruhi will end up with (and at this point-the manga isn't finished-it seems to be pretty clear who that will be), it's a long road with a lot of realizations and heart break. I especially love the way Hiraku and Kaoru characters develop and grow.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:20 am Reply with quote
Pheonixphire24 got it right on target. The manga mixes in more angst, drama and plot with regards to the characters than the anime does, especially the twins.

My favorite episode of the anime, the Wonderland ep, reversed the trend by getting us into Haruhi's head and allowing us to see how she dealt with her mom's death, a subject the manga rarely touches, in a thoughtful, imaginative and engrossing way . (I'll admitt, it made me cry!).

The depth added to the story by character exploration really make this series shine, IMHO. It's why I look forward to reading this manga through to the end (I also look forward to reading the continuation of Hatori's Millenium Snow, but that's another subject altogether!Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2