• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Connect Five

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:28 am Reply with quote
I didn't read the this thread, so I don't know what the argument of the week is, so I will just post my personal list.

1. Humanity has Declined - 4/5
2. Kokoro Connect - meh, I'm still watching it.

Tari Tari was so horrendously boring I dropped out at episode 3.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:44 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Tari Tari was so horrendously boring I dropped out at episode 3.

Aww, you missed the heartwarming and adorable ending to Wakana's arc.

For shame.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Natsuyuki Rendevous: I don't understand why many viewers diss this show the way they do. I found some of the scenes reflecting the steps an individual's psyche must undergo when confronting conflicting and painful memories re loss to be quite moving. This is a topic many people will encounter in life and I have to admire the anime for the way it handled using such an experience as a focal point between the main characters in this story. The young man, in spite of his shortcomings of immaturity, did manage to instigate an emotional precipitous life change event and propel Rokka forward.

Old cherished memories do not go away easily. Given time and opportunity they will become a cerebral anchor holding an individual's emotions hostage while mimicking a resistant defense mechanism should any form of social change from an outside force become a possibility. I encountered this phenomena often in real world when dating widows, divorcees who hadn't given themselves time to heal mentally from a cataclysmic life event in their recent past. Memories are formidable; just like the recurring mind ressurection of Atsushi.

The final episode gave everyone closure. We saw a shallow man, a dubious relationship, an old memory maturate from seeds of fate like a plant and blossom. Bravo!

I thought this was a good show and I hope more anime will follow mindful there is a mature audience out here gleefully awaiting its visionary excellence.

Quoted for truth.
I really enjoyed the series immensely and I think it is one of the best animes of the year. I was really sad to find out that so many people didn't like it at all.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:46 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:

I really enjoyed the series immensely and I think it is one of the best animes of the year. I was really sad to find out that so many people didn't like it at all.

I too enjoyed it a lot for the most part but i also agree with the people who think the ending felt rushed and a bit...lacking. As i wote in an earlier version of this thread, to me this series was more about loss and coping with itwhile trying to live (or be dead) than about romance, spoiler[so the happy ending for Rokka and Hazuki felt really forced and kinda unneccessary. For me it would have been enough if Rokka and Atsushi both had been able to let go and move on...and maybe there could have been a relationship for Rokka and Hazuki in the future.]

Still, a very good series and i definitely don't agree with the folks who dislike it for being old woman romance or too slow... Rolling Eyes
fireaxe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:28 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Sawa still has yet to slap Taichi on the butt from what I can remember. Seeing how she did so to both Wakana and Konatsu, and that is basically her only method of outward expression, I would be surprised if the finale ends up with her and Taichi together. That said, I really don't care. I was a bit surprised (and I could even say glad) that the whole 'Why doesn't anyone have faith in me' - 'I have faith in you' exchange between Taichi and Wein didn't cause a stir in a certain portion of the anime community.

This is mostly true but you could argue that Taichi keeping the cutesy picture of Sawa for himself has to be a sign of something (remember he gave his friend the one he took secretly earlier). So my guess is yes Taichi is slowly falling for Sawa, but I don't think it'll go beyont that in the final episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I too enjoyed it a lot for the most part but i also agree with the people who think the ending felt rushed and a bit...lacking. As i wote in an earlier version of this thread, to me this series was more about loss and coping with itwhile trying to live (or be dead) than about romance,spoiler[ so the happy ending for Rokka and Hazuki felt really forced and kinda unneccessary. For me it would have been enough if Rokka and Atsushi both had been able to let go and move on...and maybe there could have been a relationship for Rokka and Hazuki in the future.]

I deeply disagree that romance is useless to the central theme of the show which is coping with the death.spoiler[The way I see it the romance with Hazuki was needed for her so she could move on.Like in the scene where Shimao leaves her a scar on her neck and Hazuki starts licking whilst telling that he too will carry the burden of his death.]
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:59 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:

I deeply disagree that romance is useless to the central theme of the show which is coping with the death.spoiler[The way I see it the romance with Hazuki was needed for her so she could move on.Like in the scene where Shimao leaves her a scar on her neck and Hazuki starts licking whilst telling that he too will carry the burden of his death.]

Yeah well, perhaps it wasn't useless to the show since it was obviously what the author wanted for what reason ever. It felt useless to me, though spoiler[since i would have preferred Rokka to cope with it on her own instead of simply latching onto another guy...]
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:19 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Sawa still has yet to slap Taichi on the butt from what I can remember. Seeing how she did so to both Wakana and Konatsu, and that is basically her only method of outward expression, I would be surprised if the finale ends up with her and Taichi together. That said, I really don't care. I was a bit surprised (and I could even say glad) that the whole 'Why doesn't anyone have faith in me' - 'I have faith in you' exchange between Taichi and Wein didn't cause a stir in a certain portion of the anime community.

It was her mom that slapped Wakana, not Sawa.

Let's just say that we will know in a few days if the subtle signs from episode 5 on that Sawa had taken a shine to Taichi were real. The fact that she was the one that went to talk to him after his loss, the look on her face right before she brought out the teasing "Are you crying?" line, and her tendency since then to do things like throw things at him when he says something "insensitive", things she doesn't do to Wien, other than playing along with Konatsu's trolling of the poor lad.

On a totally different note, I absolutely love it when all three of the girls tease Taichi when he does something "cool". It is sooooo flippin' sweet, and reminds me very much of the way my son's female best friends treat him.

Totally irrelevant side story from real life, and if my son actually reads this he will probably kill me:
Last year on a trip with his orchestra, he was walking along with two of his best friends, who were both talking about the relative merit/cuteness of some of the guys they know. One of them turned to him and said, "Oh, this is so rude! Feel free to talk about cute girls if you want!" His relply? "But I'd have to talk about you two."

This elicited a serious "Awwwwww!" from the girls, and I, who was chaperoning, commented on the fact that it was actually a pretty smooth line, wondering where he got that from. Certainly not from his dad! He then said, "Just my luck! My one smooth line in my high school life and it's wasted on my best friends!" LOL!

To tie this back into the conversation, this type of banter is where both Tari Tari and Kokoro Connect really shine in terms of realistic dialog. If I hadn't chaperoned that trip, I don't know if I would appreciate how accurate the banter between the kids on these shows is, but it really sounds just like the way my son and his friends talk to each other! Really good writing!

danilo07 wrote:
Quote:
Natsuyuki Rendevous: I don't understand why many viewers diss this show the way they do. I found some of the scenes reflecting the steps an individual's psyche must undergo when confronting conflicting and painful memories re loss to be quite moving. This is a topic many people will encounter in life and I have to admire the anime for the way it handled using such an experience as a focal point between the main characters in this story. The young man, in spite of his shortcomings of immaturity, did manage to instigate an emotional precipitous life change event and propel Rokka forward.

Old cherished memories do not go away easily. Given time and opportunity they will become a cerebral anchor holding an individual's emotions hostage while mimicking a resistant defense mechanism should any form of social change from an outside force become a possibility. I encountered this phenomena often in real world when dating widows, divorcees who hadn't given themselves time to heal mentally from a cataclysmic life event in their recent past. Memories are formidable; just like the recurring mind ressurection of Atsushi.

The final episode gave everyone closure. We saw a shallow man, a dubious relationship, an old memory maturate from seeds of fate like a plant and blossom. Bravo!

I thought this was a good show and I hope more anime will follow mindful there is a mature audience out here gleefully awaiting its visionary excellence.

Quoted for truth.

I plan on "catching up" on NR, so I have avoided actually reading any posts about it, but the reason I fell behind on it and came close to dropping it is the complete and total lack of likability of the two main male characters. They are both jerks in my opinion and I don't think either of them deserves to be loved, even by the wishy-washy heroine. Maybe by their mother, but that's it!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
danilo07 wrote:

I too enjoyed it a lot for the most part but i also agree with the people who think the ending felt rushed and a bit...lacking. As i wote in an earlier version of this thread, to me this series was more about loss and coping with itwhile trying to live (or be dead) than about romance, spoiler[so the happy ending for Rokka and Hazuki felt really forced and kinda unneccessary. For me it would have been enough if Rokka and Atsushi both had been able to let go and move on...and maybe there could have been a relationship for Rokka and Hazuki in the future.]

Still, a very good series and i definitely don't agree with the folks who dislike it for being old woman romance or too slow... Rolling Eyes

I fell in love with Natsuyuki Rendezvous when it began. I loved that it had an adult story with actual adults. It had romance, comedy, likable characters, super natural elements (I was not too thrilled about this, but it did not bother me) and good looking animation and art.

But from episodes 5 to 10 it turned into a mess. I did not want a series only about constant flashbacks and reflections on past events. I would not have mind seeing 2 or 3 episodes of it, but 6? To make matters worse Atsushi and Rokka turned into miserable creatures.

For the record, the last episode and conclusion were fine to me. My big issue with Natsuyuki Rendezvous is that it lacked execution and was too unbalanced in the second half.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:

This is mostly true but you could argue that Taichi keeping the cutesy picture of Sawa for himself has to be a sign of something (remember he gave his friend the one he took secretly earlier). So my guess is yes Taichi is slowly falling for Sawa, but I don't think it'll go beyont that in the final episode.

Ok, and? It takes two to relationship.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
fireaxe wrote:

Ok, and? It takes two to relationship.

That wasn't the point of my post, I was just saying that yes, Taichi is probably at least mildly interested in her now. spoiler[Sawa probably doesn't have a clue, which might lead to an interesting finale.
I'm totally expecting them to bond a bit more by the end of episode 13, though I doubt he'll downright confess to her.
He'll try some awkward pickup line like "I like the way you move..". She'll blush. The end. I'd be shocked if it goes beyond that, but I don't expect the writers to avoid the topic either.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
If the anime goes about 5 volumes every 26 episodes then I would say the series needs at least two 4-cour seasons.

Yes! Space Brothers isn't ending anytime soon!
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I believe Space Brothers is meant to be at least 4 cours.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
bemused Bohemian wrote:

I think all of this could have been accomplished without Atsushi going into Hazuki's body. In fact, all of the above is what I loved so much about the first few episodes. You saw this aggressive young man who wasn't afraid to pursue his love, despite the presence of the ex-lover, and you saw the hurt in Atsushi as he watched this man try to steal away the love of his life. And there was nothing he could do about it. I thought that was so tragic and touching. And at the same time, you have Rokka who is torn between wanting to move on, but not being able to. This interplay of emotions was fantastic, and the body-takeover killed it. At that point, the characters became muddled. Because Rokka doesn't know about the possession until later, you can't say that Hazuki was really the catalyst, nor Atsushi, because what we're seeing is not the same thing that she's experiencing.

Even when Rokka says she wants Hazuki back... all of the recent progress that's been made has been with Atsushi acting as Hazuki, so she's not even necessarily remembering the right man.

I think the whole thing is just really messy. They were on the right track before.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
There were a number of problems with Natsuyuki Rendevous, some of which have already been mentioned, but I think one of the big things is that the premise simply did not merit an 11-episode series. It really is most organically a feature film premise and a 90-minute to 2-hour version would have been optimum.

I think that's why Hazuki was stuck in Storyland for so long - the writers literally didn't know what to do with him. You can only spin the "I can see the dead ex-husband and she can't" thing for so long. I enjoyed the first few episodes but dropped out after Storyland (and not just because of that element). My concern right from start was, "how can they keep this going for 11 episodes?" The answer, in my opinion, was that they can't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12