• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Big Windup! Episodes 1-7 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
The fact that several people get so angry at implied homoerotic subtext is more annoying than the people that pick up on it in the first place, and anyone that would give the show a pass because of undertones doesn't deserve to watch it in the first place.

(facepalm) Nobody here was annoyed at the so-called "subtext" (which apparently must not be that strong, since some didn't even notice), but at the fact that some fans act like that's all the show is really about, which is obviously inaccurate. A portion of the yaoi fandom HAS gotten a little out of control (to put it mildly), heck, just yesterday I was getting criticized for suggesting that Light/L made no sense. Based on what I saw of Light, he seemed to be either an asexual (hoo boy, did I get flamed for suggesting that) or was so focused on his goals that he could easily ignore any sort of desire. But none of them would even consider any of the evidence I pointed out. You'd think I was dealing with certain kinds of Zutarians here ("how can you not accept that Katara threatening to kill Zuko if he hurts Aang means that she truly loves Zuko?!" Rolling Eyes ).
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Oofuri. I will eventualy, especially since FUNi has it up streaming which I didn't know prior to reading this review.

I do hope Big Windup! does well though, to perhaps improve the chance of getting Major, Cross Game, or heck, even Touch over here stateside.

I invite the fans of Big Windup to also check out each of those, as they are all quality baseball anime and quality anime in general.
musouka

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
(facepalm) Nobody here was annoyed at the so-called "subtext" (which apparently must not be that strong, since some didn't even notice), but at the fact that some fans act like that's all the show is really about, which is obviously inaccurate.

Where? Where are all these mythical yaoi fans that claim the show is about boys dating, because all I've seen are people saying it's a very good baseball show. The thing that started this latest bout of "HOU DAR YOU" was a single line in a lengthy review.

doctordoom85 wrote:
A portion of the yaoi fandom HAS gotten a little out of control (to put it mildly), heck, just yesterday I was getting criticized for suggesting that Light/L made no sense. Based on what I saw of Light, he seemed to be either an asexual (hoo boy, did I get flamed for suggesting that) or was so focused on his goals that he could easily ignore any sort of desire. But none of them would even consider any of the evidence I pointed out. You'd think I was dealing with certain kinds of Zutarians here ("how can you not accept that Katara threatening to kill Zuko if he hurts Aang means that she truly loves Zuko?!" Rolling Eyes ).

Look. I don't care. I really don't. I'm sorry that you're crying because someone was mean to you on the internet over fictional couples, but that doesn't negate anything about Oofuri's deliberate pandering to BL fans. Hell, they used the scene with spoiler[Abe's "confession"] in ADVERTISEMENTS to sell the show.
MizAmi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:13 am Reply with quote
Anybody know what happened to episodes 5-7? They are no longer posted on Funi's site, youtube, hulu, etc. I wonder if it's the "security/maintenance" thing or if they decided that showing half a series was too much...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2