• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks On Anime - Producing a DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kamadan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What are your thoughts on the matter? Do you prefer to purchase half-season sets or are you willing to wait longer to buy the entire series?

I'd like to point out that many of us are willing to wait. I seem to like collecting as much as the chicks do, but I only really started buying when I could find deals on full series, or at the very least full seasons. I got burned buying too many singles only to miss out on the last one or two for various reasons. I absolutely HATE having holes in my collection like that. Sure, I'd like to have a DVD in hand the day after the show airs in Japan, but there is so much good content out there I'm willing to go back and pick up a cheap and complete classic series while I wait a season or more for the full version of new stuff.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Since this time, I've noticed an increase in price. It's now June, and I do understand the economic woes is partially to blame.

Prices aren't increasing. season 2 of School Rumble came out in 1/3 the time (2 months vs 6) that it took for season 1, at 2/3 the price ($120 MSRP vs $180 MSRP).
White Lightning Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
Now I want an XBOX 306...
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
Prices aren't increasing. season 2 of School Rumble came out in 1/3 the time (2 months vs 6) that it took for season 1, at 2/3 the price ($120 MSRP vs $180 MSRP).

Actually, they are increasing. Believe me, I'm watching like a hawk as it helps me determine what to buy, and what to pass on.

In truth, I expected this due to the economy. Anime is already a niche market, and when people can't buy, others who can must cover the costs until such a time they can drop back.

Personally, $10 isn't anything to cry over. So a box set is $59.99 instead of $49.99. But seeing the increase of the two part seasons is definitely a price increase in comparison.

As I've said, I've only recently returned to buying DVDs, and box sets are generally the way I do it (for those in the $40+ range).

Thanks to TRSI, singles I've purchased are done in collected series only. Even if there's 1 singles missing, it's a pass for me. I'm too chicken to take a chance it'll come up down the road.
Smile

The great thing is: There are always deals to be found.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
I like the half-season box sets for the same reason Bamboo does. More affordable than singles, but with more suspense than a full-season box set would have. It's called gratification postponed, kids! Learn it, love it. <3
Kamadan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:09 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
I like the half-season box sets for the same reason Bamboo does. More affordable than singles, but with more suspense than a full-season box set would have. It's called gratification postponed, kids! Learn it, love it. <3

I've heard this argument before and I honestly don't understand it at all. If your enjoyment of a series in enhanced by slowing down the rate you watch it why not just buy a cheaper full series and watch one or two episodes a week? Why do you need to change the way you buy anime in order to change the way you watch anime?
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
Oh, it wasn't meant to be an argument. Sorry if I sounded confrontational, I didn't mean to!

I'm fine with things the way they are...
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
I wish somebody asked about the cropped Dragonball Blu-rays. I wonder if that was just a dumb executive decision?
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote
Very enjoyable article today! I had always thought that the handling of extras was done that way, but the thought of even after buying the license, you STILL have to pay for those little bits was a surprise.

About the half-boxsets, I personally prefer them over buying the individual DVDs, since sometimes you can find Vol 1,2 and 3 but miss out on 4, or have it only available somewhere else for a much higher price was always a kind of a bummer. Plus there is the added benefit of saving on shelf space, which is always a plus Wink .

As for DVD prices, Funi doesn't actually dictate how much a certain series goes for, they offer up a price, retailers buy it, and then the retailer adjusts the price, either taking a bath or making a profit, on them accordingly. Its why Best Buy, Suncoast, and FYE can have widely different prices for the same thing, same goes for the selecion they carry. Now can the poor economy and rising licensing costs play into how much licensors sell to retailers? Of course. But the retailer too is responsible for the price, since its ultimately them who sell out on the big box stores. Add online retailers into the mix and finding things for decent prices isn't all that difficult.
tmsidr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote
The big disadvantage of the Half-Season Boxes is the missing extras. School Rumble Nigakki only had 2 interviews but on the Japanese DVDs there were I think about 9....I really like this stuff and it's the biggest reason why I buy shows on DVDs. If they can't get on the DVD, because they are too lazy to include another disc, perhaps stream the missing stuff at lwast online for free.

Furthermore, these box sets also have less space for the episodes so that the bitrates gets lower. Expecially nowadays with large LCD displays the econding issues are much better visible. Sometimes I think they hope we will buy the shows again on Blu-ray because of that....

I'm willing to pay more if I can get the stuff in better quality and don't have to watch the fansubs if I want a better picture...
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote
Kamadan wrote:

I've heard this argument before and I honestly don't understand it at all. If your enjoyment of a series in enhanced by slowing down the rate you watch it why not just buy a cheaper full series and watch one or two episodes a week?

There are some of us who simply want to get it right away. To some of those who've been purchasing singles, the notion of a half-set is nice since they'd be only paying $100-120 for a set, vs. $180, $190 if they got an artbox. And that's just comparing retail prices - deals can be had if one can find them.

~

Granted, even though I usually can't spot such things unless they're beyond obvious, the two things I don't like about FUNi's half-sets & complete collections as of late is that their video quality is suffering once again, and the packaging for a number of their releases have been rather shoddy. As a result, I've been avoiding FUNi sets nowadays, if I can. Example: once I heard that a re-release of Paradise Kiss was imminent, I scooped up the first complete collection release as soon as I could - I didn't want to take a risk, and I was willing to pay the $10 premium for better packaging, which in the end I didn't even pay. Smile

All in all, nice article this week.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
Well I really liked this article. I really love the interviews that deal with the technical details of making anime since I know so little about it, and I was surprised to see that working on a Blu-Ray DVD takes two or three times as long. That could explain a higher price tag, also didn't realize how expensive extras are.
And I'm a little amused at how some people are going "OMG, half seasons add up so fast!" Geez people, if you look around online you can find tons of discounts. Amazon is pretty good and I know that I shop a lot at Rightstuf. True you might have to wait a little while longer to get a discount but if you play your cards right you can save quite a bit of money.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
tmsidr wrote:

Furthermore, these box sets also have less space for the episodes so that the bitrates gets lower. Expecially nowadays with large LCD displays the econding issues are much better visible. Sometimes I think they hope we will buy the shows again on Blu-ray because of that....

I've never really noticed the difference in quality with the half season set and single volumes, but then again I have glaucoma so maybe some of my ability to notice small difference is not so great anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cait

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
The real problem with half season box sets as the norm is individual volume loss. I recently lent two FUNi series of mine to a friend through the mail: Ouran and BECK. When she sent back volume 2 of Ouran and volume 6 of BECK they got lost in the mail. Replacing BECK only cost me the price of one DVD, since it was released as singles before the box, but I had to repurchase the whole part 1 box of Ouran to replace the one missing disc. Now, one could make the argument that my friend should have insured the shipment and I would have gotten the money back to replace the DVDs, but other things can happen to DVDs. They can crack or get scratched beyond repair just from regular use. Then you're left with two options: have missing discs in your collection, or replace the whole collection.

I don't think that full season box releases as the first and only release is a good idea either. It is too much time to wait and too much money all at once to drop on a series, not to mention the above issue of potential DVD replacement. Singles into full season boxes always worked just fine for me, though I do like the price-points for half-season boxes being much lower than buying DVDs individually, but I do have to know already that I would want them, meaning I'll have to have already seen and decided I liked it enough (I have, in the past, purchased single volume 1 releases of rarer titles I couldn't find to borrow or rent, to try out). Since I don't watch fansubs, my few options are the limited (though ever increasing) number of online legal streams, but I really don't like watching anime on my computer.

As for dubs, I really would have also liked to hear the financial and other decisions that go into determining whether to do a dub or not. Without dubs, it seems to me, anime will never be mainstream enough to make these price-points viable in the first place. The vast majority of human beings in the world don't like reading subtitles and aren't going to become fans of a medium of entertainment that requires them to do so, the legions of sub-only, fansub-only complainers aside.
ryoga79

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Kamadan wrote:
Quote:
What are your thoughts on the matter? Do you prefer to purchase half-season sets or are you willing to wait longer to buy the entire series?

I'd like to point out that many of us are willing to wait. I seem to like collecting as much as the chicks do, but I only really started buying when I could find deals on full series, or at the very least full seasons. I got burned buying too many singles only to miss out on the last one or two for various reasons. I absolutely HATE having holes in my collection like that. Sure, I'd like to have a DVD in hand the day after the show airs in Japan, but there is so much good content out there I'm willing to go back and pick up a cheap and complete classic series while I wait a season or more for the full version of new stuff.

I had the same problem, I've been scouring ebay to try and find missing volumes of singles at prices that add up to less than the cost of just buying a half set and chalking up the singles as a bad move. That's just a transitioning problem that will go away though.

While I'd rather wait for a whole series (just looks better in one box), half season sets are vastly better financially than singles.

I admit to being one of the people who would rather have a set without a dub. Just a personal preference, the dub audio track will never get used so if I have a chance to get it cheaper and faster then I'm all for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5