• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - All E3, All The Time

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:09 pm Reply with quote
X Button wrote:
there are two different Monkey Island games in development. One is a multi-part sequel from Telltale Games (makers of the new Sam and Max titles), and the other is remake of the original The Secret of Monkey Island by LucasArts.

This makes me SOOO happy! I must've missed that announcement, hope the remake is for DS or PSP. The Voodoo Lady said she had an unbreakable 5 game contract with Lucas Arts!
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how I missed this one (well, yes I do: being distracted by Ninja Metroid), but...
Quote:
Shiren the Wanderer became a cult hit in North America last year by showing up on the DS, where everyone loves dungeon hacks. Shiren the Wanderer 3 for the Wii went ignored, but the E3 festivities made plain that it's coming here through Atlus. It won't be out until next spring, which should give fans ample time to check out Demon's Souls, another dungeon-crawler from Atlus.

YES

YES

...I mean, I don't have a Wii and it looks like the chances of getting the second DS one went from "slim" to "slighty better", but still!
B.K.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I wish Nintendo had shown Monado in their conference. They had screens and a trailer on their press site, but didn't show them. I hate how Nintendo is handing Monolithsoft and their games since they bought the company.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote
E3 news stuff is old to me at this point. That aside....yay for Class of Heroes and Ore ga Omae wo Mamoru.

And last but not least....DAYS OF MEMORIES 3...FINALLY! ~yay for more Athena.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Golgo 13 is awful

It's amusing for a proto-GTA game.

Anyway, I love how Blowme doesn't get that the reason the PSP lost the portable war wasn't the UMD or memory, but the price of the system.

Oh, and a Metroid game from Team Ninja makes as much sense as a Zelda game from the RE team. Rolling Eyes

P.S. Telltale =/= Lucas Arts.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
Has it really been one year already Tod? Time sure flew by.

Although I had hoped that Nintendo would announce that they licensed Mother Three, any news about Golden Sun interests me. But after reading the words "3D, deformed" I know really wonder why Nintendo had to ruin a game that's sequel I've been wanting to play for years.

Thanks a bunch Nintendo! Way to appeal to the older gamer crowd.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
Eh, E3 seemed a bit mediocre to me. Certainly an improvement on last year but still not great.

MGS was big news but I'm not really a fan of the series and it's not like there was much actual information about it anyway.

I'm a bit disappointed they're going with Galaxy 2. I mean I'm very happy to get any 3D Mario and I did actually enjoy Galaxy a lot. However, I found it to be the weakest of the three. The gravity effects were cool but often rather disorienting and difficult to move around in. The levels were rather linear and the lack of anything in the 'hub' area was disappointing. I miss the more open worlds of 64 and Sunshine.

I'm not sure what to say about Metroid: Other M. I hope it will be good, but I'm a little skeptical. I believe the first Metroid Prime was one of the greatest games of all times. I loved how they just sort of drop you into this huge alien world with little to no overt story and just let you explore and discover. It was their choice to cram in more and more story and human elements that made the series get progressively worse in 2 and 3. It sounds like they're planning on doing that to an even greater extent in Other M. Maybe it will be good but just in a different way. I don't know though. The graphics look mediocre as well.

Golden Sun is interesting. I never played the originals but heard very good things. This: "It'll be in 3-D, with super-deformed characters that look a little like those in the Matrix-developed RPGs Final Fantasy III and IV." makes me want to vomit though. I truly don't understand the compulsion to make these ugly ass 3D games for hand held RPGs instead of actual nice looking sprite based ones. I think I'd rather track down a copy of the original GBA Golden Sun than play this.

Oh and speaking of things that make me want to vomit: The fact that A) FF XIV is going to be online and B) That they are even bloody talking about FF XIV. I mean they've been farting around with XIII for ages and it still isn't even out and now they're on about the next one? Not to mention XIII Versus is still floating around out there. I'm beginning to think the folks at SquareEnix suffer from ADD. Maybe that's why they can't just work on a single FF game and actually get it released sometime before the apocalypse. Confused

Last Guardian looks awesome though. I can't wait.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
Congratulations on one year!

So my E3 highlights would definitely be the new Metal Gear games... I think. I thought Kojima was going to move on. Ah well, I'm always up for more Metal Gear.

Other than that the gameplay from Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed 2 and God of War 3 made me drool uncontrollably.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Golden Sun is interesting. I never played the originals but heard very good things. This: "It'll be in 3-D, with super-deformed characters that look a little like those in the Matrix-developed RPGs Final Fantasy III and IV." makes me want to vomit though. I truly don't understand the compulsion to make these ugly ass 3D games for hand held RPGs instead of actual nice looking sprite based ones. I think I'd rather track down a copy of the original GBA Golden Sun than play this.

Play them. They're awesome. Admittedly extremely slow to start (the first half-hour to hour is torture...), but once you get out of where you start, the game picks up and is loads of fun. I haven't really touched a handheld in about five years, but the Golden Sun games are my main temptation. This new one might break me. Although the whole 3-D super-deformed thing doesn't sound too appealing...
FeralKat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote
Monkey Island and Golden Sun getting love! I've waited so long for this! Very Happy Too bad Golden Sun is going to be 3D, because the GBA games had gorgeous sprite-work. Sad That was one of the best parts of those games.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
I'm feeling further and further detached from Final Fantasy. First, the fact that XI was online. Then the disappointment that was XII. Need a new console for XIII (granted, this one was inevitable)... And now XIV will be online as well? Sad
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:24 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
I'm feeling further and further detached from Final Fantasy. First, the fact that XI was online. Then the disappointment that was XII. Need a new console for XIII (granted, this one was inevitable)... And now XIV will be online as well? Sad

Based off Everquest, MMORPGs have the life expectancy of around 8 years or so. FFXI is 7 years old, so it's time for the next generation FFmmorpg.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:38 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
FFXI is 7 years old, so it's time for the next generation FFmmorpg.

I understand that. But I don't play MMORPGs. I'd much rather see them split the online games from standard series and continue work on another single player installment....

Well, that's what I would have said if I still cared for Final Fantasy, but at this point Square can do whatever they like as far as I'm concerned. Razz
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:11 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Based off Everquest, MMORPGs have the life expectancy of around 8 years or so. FFXI is 7 years old, so it's time for the next generation FFmmorpg.

Exactly, and FFXI is far from dead as it is, they promise to continue the game until it's no longer financially viable (it still remains a major money maker).

Of all of the announcements at E3 FFXIV was the one that got me the most excited, hands down. I've probably watched and picked apart and analyzed the video a dozen times (it's amazingly similar to FFXI), there's just so much to see! People can complain all they want, it's just a number, if you don't like MMOs then skip it. If FFXI wasn't a cash cow S-E would never give it another go in FFXIV. I know the FFXI community is incredibly excited and I can't wait for the S-E presentation later today. I can't believe they're releasing this the same year as FXIII.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:41 am Reply with quote
I'm happy about Golden Sun 3 myself. Well it's being called Golden Sun for the DS but it's really Golden Sun 3. It's just a small little RPG game that was on the Game Boy and most people over looked it. it's very fun and engaging though. Plus I've always been a fan of RPG games and especially titles that kind of never got the spot light as the main big ones. Stuff like Legend of Dragoon, the Shining Force series, or the Lunar games. I was always busy playing those more then Final Fantasy games. So after several years seeing a new Golden Sun game is good news for me. Now if only they'd make a 3rd Lunar game....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4