• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-06-03

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HJSoulma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Rastage wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Just as a comment on Fushugi Yuugi, does it ever get good? I'm borrowing the DVDs from my friend, who could only make it halfway through before giving up, and it seems pretty bad. I finished the first seven episodes. It's generic shoujo, there's no comedy, the lead is irritating in both languages, less on the dub because the voice is slightly deeper. On top of that, the art is terrible; backgrounds = what? Why does everyone love it so much? Are people who like all like the girl using Kevin, insane?

Do you realize that Fushiugi Yuugi came out in 1995? It was a instant hit as a shojo anime back then. Of course it looks bad when it's compared to many animes being produced nowadays.

I've still seen plenty of anime from that era that have decent animation and are of comparable length, I wasn't comparing it to shows today. It might also be somewhat due to Geneon cramming 6-7 episodes on a disc.

No, it was just a bad show. I had a friend who really loved FY back when it first came out in English (on VHS!), and even then it made my stomach turn to watch it. Anime hyper Miaka is annoying as hell and there's no reason any of her harem should be interested in her, and basically the whole dumb show devolves into meaningless angst less than halfway through... But yeah, when it came out in America it was pretty different-- one of the first "reverse harem" shows available here, and perhaps also one of the first "girl gets sucked into a magical land" shows here other than-- I think. I think a lot of middle school/teenage girls were just like ZOMG I wish *I* were surrounded by a bunch of hot boys who all liked me despite my glaring character flaws. Anime hyper

But basically, yeah, I can't even imagine how grating it would be to rewatch that show now if it made my ears bleed when I was in middle school. Its age is no excuse-- Captain Tylor, Kodocha, Gundam Wing, Macross Plus, Eva, Please Save My Earth and Slayers were all broadcast in '95, too.
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
Perhaps ironically, Fushigi Yuugi is one of my all-time favorite shows, but I can recognize why it wouldn't be looked well upon now. I was in middle school when I first watched it (on VHS fansubs!)- I had certainly NEVER seen anything like it before, and despite watching anime for a number of years already, this was the first show that REALLY got me super addicted. That said, I recently bought the DVDs and rewatched the first few episodes- it's a lot rougher and more low-budget than I remember, but it's not the worst looking show for its time (ever try to rewatch Trigun? That came out years later, but MY GOD). But yeah, I think this was one of the first shojo fantasy series (and a LONG series at that, so I give the low budget some slack) that a lot of American fans from VHS days saw, so at the time it did seem pretty original.

I also still really like all the characters as well, except for Miaka and Yui.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Rastage wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:
Okay in my 2nd novel, I have this nerdy character who also happens to be named Kevin (purely consindental), anyways he's a total nerd who gets teased in the story who decides to seek revenge against those that harmed him by joining Damien the villain(so he's an antagonist for much of the novel)... any ways, he's 16 and yet he has not reached prubity so he had the psyiyic of a 12 year old... So I think it's safe to say... that Kevin is more patheic than my Kevin... sad...

Side note to this: Kevin's love interest (who was introuded in my frist novel) happens to be named Nina... I wasn't think about the comic strip when I came up with the names, it just happened that way (and I came up with the names when the comic was new so it didn't matter)

ehhh.. what?

Just some weboo who made a fanfiction with the names of Anime News characters.

No it's not a fanfic, I am a fanfic writer, it's not an Anime News Nina fic but rather an actual novel I'm writing with the same names.... I was jut pointing out the fact that Kevin is more pathetic than the 16 year old who has yet to go thorough prubity who also happens to be named Kevin.

Thought I shouldn't have brought up Nina from my novel (who happens to be the complete opposite of Nina from the comic)

Your actually serious? One would be surprized on how many people claim to be writing something and there is no evidence of it. Sorry about that, jumped the gun this time.
Sticks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Jonasan wrote:
Can't help but think that the artist being asked to look at Kevin's non-existent chest is Robin's cameo appearance into her own comic. Smile

I met her once.... kinda does dosen't it....lolol Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

JK Robin... Wink

Take the time you need, we're all (kinda) patient people... hehe Wink
HJSoulma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Perhaps ironically, Fushigi Yuugi is one of my all-time favorite shows, but I can recognize why it wouldn't be looked well upon now. I was in middle school when I first watched it (on VHS fansubs!)- I had certainly NEVER seen anything like it before, and despite watching anime for a number of years already, this was the first show that REALLY got me super addicted. That said, I recently bought the DVDs and rewatched the first few episodes- it's a lot rougher and more low-budget than I remember, but it's not the worst looking show for its time (ever try to rewatch Trigun? That came out years later, but MY GOD). But yeah, I think this was one of the first shojo fantasy series (and a LONG series at that, so I give the low budget some slack) that a lot of American fans from VHS days saw, so at the time it did seem pretty original.

I also still really like all the characters as well, except for Miaka and Yui.

I feel like FY is one of those shows that if you watched and enjoyed when it first came out, you understand why people might still like it and have feelings of nostalgia that make it easy to forgive the show's flaws. (I mean, I certainly understand that-- I still try to tell people Haunted Junction is one of the best comedy anime of all time even if I know that's far, far far from true-- I just loved it so much in my early teen years that it doesn't matter. Same with Utena, although that has aged somewhat better.) However, I think that if you've never seen it before and watch it now, it all just seems so melodramatic and overwrought (budget and animation aside-- that was never my issue with FY-- and in fact Trigun is one of my favorite anime of all time!) that it's difficult to take seriously. Furthermore, the beginning episodes are particularly difficult to get through because not all of the guys, who are the show's saving grace, haven't been found yet. I mean, Miaka is arguably one of the most annoying shoujo heroines... ever... so until the supporting cast takes center stage...

I probably would have liked FY if the guys treated Miaka like any normal human being would treat Miaka-- horror and disdain. But no, the whole show has to be about how *awesome* she is... *sigh* Anime hyper
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Isn't flashing the artist against the law? Anime hyper
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm sad to see that my weekly does of Anime News Nina may not be so weekly any more, but that'll make the times it does come out all the more special. So good luck with your hetic life and keep on making these comics!
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Rastage wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:
Okay in my 2nd novel, I have this nerdy character who also happens to be named Kevin (purely consindental), anyways he's a total nerd who gets teased in the story who decides to seek revenge against those that harmed him by joining Damien the villain(so he's an antagonist for much of the novel)... any ways, he's 16 and yet he has not reached prubity so he had the psyiyic of a 12 year old... So I think it's safe to say... that Kevin is more patheic than my Kevin... sad...

Side note to this: Kevin's love interest (who was introuded in my frist novel) happens to be named Nina... I wasn't think about the comic strip when I came up with the names, it just happened that way (and I came up with the names when the comic was new so it didn't matter)

ehhh.. what?

Just some weboo who made a fanfiction with the names of Anime News characters.

No it's not a fanfic, I am a fanfic writer, it's not an Anime News Nina fic but rather an actual novel I'm writing with the same names.... I was jut pointing out the fact that Kevin is more pathetic than the 16 year old who has yet to go thorough prubity who also happens to be named Kevin.

Thought I shouldn't have brought up Nina from my novel (who happens to be the complete opposite of Nina from the comic)

Your actually serious? One would be surprized on how many people claim to be writing something and there is no evidence of it. Sorry about that, jumped the gun this time.

That's okay... a lot of people say they're working on novels... but rarely ever really work on them.

I'm half way done with the current draft of Guardians of Darkness (the 2nd Novel), I plan to look for a publisher when I'm done with the final draft.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
That's okay... a lot of people say they're working on novels... but rarely ever really work on them.

I'm half way done with the current draft of Guardians of Darkness (the 2nd Novel), I plan to look for a publisher when I'm done with the final draft.

I hear ya, I started my novel last year in early spring with the intent to finish before the year ended. Now, I'm 3/4 done, and will probably finish no sooner than August. Oh well, better finished than never, I suppose.

Anyway, pretty funny one this week. Though I'm curious about what Kevin is feeling. Is he happy, his mind snapped, what? Honestly, if he's happy with Megan, it's arguably not Nina or Paola's place to interfere. It's not like Megan's abusing him or anything, she's just a few fries short of a happy meal.

Now, if we suddenly hear wedding bells, THEN it might be time for a little intervention..... Wink
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
What's with all the people working on novels in this thread? (Including me, actually.)

Great strip, by the way, Robin. Somebody needs to check Kevin to see if he's been drugged.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
c'mon people, if crazygirl can overlook Kev's flaws, maybe he can overlook hers... assuming he ever comes out of that coma... maybe he's forgotten to eat. So I wonder what the rest of her harem thinks... can't wait to see the sparks with Paolla, 'because you just have to know there will be some Wink

Evil or Very Mad and what will happen when Paolla meets eyes with one other guy in her harem, and the heavens open and cherubs descend playing violins? Methinks an opponent has appeared...
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
... I don't know whether Kevin's actually found a match or whether he should run away screaming... but I definitely share the girls' reaction to that one. Shocked

Oh, and hurray for novelists! ... Now if only we could find an easier way to get published...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Great comic this week! That Megan is sure crazy, I don't blame Nina and Paola for wanting to interfere, girls like that are red flags, boys you really don't want to go out with girls like that, find a girl who doesn't think she is a fictional character and will amount to something.

As for Fushigi Yugi, while Miaka is definitly one of the most annoying characters in all of anime, Fushigi Yugi is considered a very good anime, because in a sense, it is an original shoujo. Many of the shoujo you see today are rip-offs of Fushigi Yugi. Fushigi Yugi is one of the first reverse harem anime ithat was introduced. I really like Fushigi Yugi, but I do not think it is as great as Cowboy Bebop or Trigun. In fact, Fushigi Yugi is one of the few shoujo in my collection, because other shoujo are basically rip-offs of it, or are just cheesy.

Did someone say their novel is called Guardians of Darkness? No offense, but it sound an awful lot like Descendants of Darkness, the anime and manga by Yoko Matsushita.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
Did someone say their novel is called Guardians of Darkness? No offense, but it sound an awful lot like Descendants of Darkness, the anime and manga by Yoko Matsushita.

I said it was my 2nd Novel in what I hope will be a series of novels, if you take into account that the first one is called Child of Light it seems less like the title you mentioned.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
c'mon people, if crazygirl can overlook Kev's flaws, maybe he can overlook hers... assuming he ever comes out of that coma... maybe he's forgotten to eat. So I wonder what the rest of her harem thinks... can't wait to see the sparks with Paolla, 'because you just have to know there will be some Wink

Evil or Very Mad and what will happen when Paolla meets eyes with one other guy in her harem, and the heavens open and cherubs descend playing violins? Methinks an opponent has appeared...

Yah, I too have to wonder what the other guys think. I'm not very famaliar with Fushigi Yuugi, but I assume that Tamahome was the guy Miaka ended up with in the end?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4