• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation.com to Repost Fullmetal Alchemist after Fixes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:48 am Reply with quote
Sweet, glad to hear it will be back. Hopefully One Piece will be back up soon as well.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:55 am Reply with quote
It was only a matter of time. People were over reacting and jumping to conclusions waaay to fast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote
Good, but why do they keep on saying that FUNimation "canceled" the Simulcast of One Piece?

That is incorrect, and I think that they need to fix it.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quote
They should say that the One Piece simulcast is "on hold".
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
Oh good, I couldn't believe that they would drop a series after just a security breach but it's good to know that it should be back soon.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Do you think any of the folks who overreacted in the other thread will feel silly now?

Yeah, me neither.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
Good, but why do they keep on saying that FUNimation "canceled" the Simulcast of One Piece?

That is incorrect, and I think that they need to fix it.

I don't know where y'all are getting the idea that One Piece is going to be back up anytime soon. The situation with FMA:B is just a precaution, and there has been no bad blood between Aniplex and FUNimation. The One Piece situation is apparently quite a bit more complicated. If the episode being viewed early constitutes a breach of contract, then it may be a LOOOONG time before FUNi has anything to do with Toei, which is bad because their bread-and-butter which they rose to power as the anime juggernaught they are today, Dragon Ball, is a Toei product.
Eivion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't really understand them taking down FMA:B. An English version of the episode tends to get out long before their version of it anyways since they take 4 days to put it up while, if I recall correctly, an Australian group who also uses web broadcasts has the whole one hour after airing Japan deal. This seems like something they should have done with Phantom instead which has had the same thing that happened with One Piece happen to it several times.
vincent iii

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Oh good, I couldn't believe that they would drop a series after just a security breach but it's good to know that it should be back soon.

It does make a lot of sense if you look at how the Japanese in general look at the internet. The Japanese are not as progressive to online media as the US is and many actually fear using the internet still. It might take a while for them to trust showing brand new episode online after this leak, so hopefully Funimation will actually use realistic security measures when handed a great deal like this and precious cargo.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
I don't really understand them taking down FMA:B. An English version of the episode tends to get out long before their version of it anyways since they take 4 days to put it up while, if I recall correctly, an Australian group who also uses web broadcasts has the whole one hour after airing Japan deal. This seems like something they should have done with Phantom instead which has had the same thing that happened with One Piece happen to it several times.

There was a quote floating around that no one cares about Phantom, especially when you compare it to the other two shows.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Like it was said, odds are the reason One Piece simulcasting was "cancelled" is most likely due to breach of contract between Funimation and Toei. Compared to other countries, especially Japan and other asian countries, we have incredible online service. Someone in a another posted pointed out to me we get way better service and whats available and whatnot. Japan is still wary of the level of quality, and the concept in general, the US market is suggesting and trying to establish as a base standard for online streams in terms of anime.

FMA takedown was a precaution to protect the medium and contract while the issue was being address. It sucks greatly that One Piece was lost so fast. Hopefully Funi gets a second chance. By the way, do we still get later release of current One Piece like a few days or week after? You only hear about simulcast so I was wondering.

It also sucks that a fews people's selfish act did so much damage. Yeah apparently it was a simple bypass to get the episode but it sucks those people's moral standards were so low to do such a thing and ruined a good thing. Honestly how impatient and selfish can you be that you want a anime show even before the japanese get it? Wow. That's taking the "omgz its been 15 minutes where are my fansubs?" mindset to a whole new different "are you retarded?/insta-ban" level. Honestly the internet is getting to a point that we just might need to enforce an AGE LIMIT as to who can use it cause obiviously some people aren't responsible enough to use it. Obivously I'm not being serious about that but that's the kind of sense or feeling you get from what the internet is turning into too.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I hardly think anyone overreacted. Simulcast streaming is pretty much a brand-new concept, as far as I can recall, something like this hasn't exactly been done before. So yeah, we're a little on the edge. In addition mistakes like this have a habit of pretty nasty repercussion, it would be so easy for a Japanese company to say "Well FUNimation couldn't keep One Piece secure, why should we give them our show?" So yeah.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
I don't know where y'all are getting the idea that One Piece is going to be back up anytime soon.

And I don't know where I said anything like that.

I just said that using the word "Cancel" is false, because it has not been confirmed that it is canceled.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Phantom only has one episode left, which comes out in Japan in a couple days, so there's no point in fussing over it now. It's probably not popular enough in Japan for anyone to really care. FMA and One Piece however are well know major international sellers so their handling is important.

I suspect we could see One Piece come back but only for old episodes. Toei probably had heat from it's Japanese sponsors over a drop in ratings so they came down on Funimation.
Shuchung

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Too many speculations. More facts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2