Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nickelodeon Jumps into Pseudo-Anime


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Necros Antiquor



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 571
Location: Funny in a car crash sort of way
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Matt Alan wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Hey, I liked Fairly Oddparents! It had jokes that were actually funny, not just for kids.

But yes, this Avatar show looks like it's going to have a bit more class than some other Anime-style shows on TV, like Teen Titans (just add in flashy lines and excessive freak-out faces) or Megas XLR (giant robots and flashy lines). I realize that's not the extent of those shows, but it definately detracts from the experience when you have certain "anime" elements shoved down your throat in order to make a series more "cool."

The art for Avatar also seems to be better than most other simple-animated cartoons out there.


^^;; I was being sarcastic with the Ed Edd and Eddy comment.

I didn't say anything about Ed Edd and Eddy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Emerje



Joined: 10 Aug 2002
Posts: 6939
Location: Maine
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Hey, this really does look like it's going to be good. Too bad Nick doesn't know a good thing when they've got it and will likely cancel it or decide to add their own touch to it after a few eps. Confused

Necros Antiquor wrote:
But yes, this Avatar show looks like it's going to have a bit more class than some other Anime-style shows on TV, like Teen Titans (just add in flashy lines and excessive freak-out faces) or Megas XLR (giant robots and flashy lines). I realize that's not the extent of those shows, but it definately detracts from the experience when you have certain "anime" elements shoved down your throat in order to make a series more "cool."


Actually, that IS the extent of Megas, that's the point of the show. Flashy giant robot action coupled with flashy giant robot parodies. Unlike a lot of the other shows out there, you aren't supposed to think Megas is anime, your supposed to think it's an American show having waaay too much fun poking fun at anime.

Emerje
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LightNightmare148



Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Posts: 37
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Ughh. Why don't they air real anime instead of trying to copy it?? They could compete with Adult Swim putting their own anime block. That way I could atleast watch Nickelodeon ay night, not just pay for that stupid channel that I never watch.

Edit: They could get rid of that dumb [email protected] block that way too. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
darkchibi07



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 5211
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Because late at night, they show Nick at Nite where they show old comedy sitcome shows (I can't believe Fresh Prince and Full House is in Nick at Nite Shocked ).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 4317
Location: Ottawa... now I'm an ex-Anglo Montrealer.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Uhh... Nickelodeon doesn't show anime at night because they'd rather target a wider mainstream audience with old sitcom reruns. They aren't going to mess with what works.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Utils



Joined: 30 Dec 2004
Posts: 14
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Actually, that IS the extent of Megas, that's the point of the show. Flashy giant robot action coupled with flashy giant robot parodies. Unlike a lot of the other shows out there, you aren't supposed to think Megas is anime, your supposed to think it's an American show having waaay too much fun poking fun at anime.

Emerje


Exactly. Megas is a goof. It's camp. It's fun to watch and doesn't apoligize for it. I don't know why people compare Megas to Teen Titans. Actually, it's probably because they never watched the show.

It's like people that say Howard Stern is all about ass 'n' titties. Clearly they've never listened.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
midori kou



Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 468
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ughh. Why don't they air real anime instead of trying to copy it?? They could compete with Adult Swim putting their own anime block. That way I could atleast watch Nickelodeon ay night, not just pay for that stupid channel that I never watch.


I don't know why people get anal about North American animators simulating the Japanese animation style. No one ever said a style should be restricted to one area which it was developed from. They are only designing their characters to cope with what is in, which in Japanese animation. If people saw things draw in the tradiational American style, it would be often veered away from because it's not longer appealing.

Nickelodeon did air anime before, if you have forgotten. They were the remakes of Astro Boy and Speed Racer. Personally, I kinda like the shows air on Nickelodeon. They have a surreal style to them. Now, if only they could has some plot and character development with the comedy still intact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
midori kou



Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 468
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Utils wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Actually, that IS the extent of Megas, that's the point of the show. Flashy giant robot action coupled with flashy giant robot parodies. Unlike a lot of the other shows out there, you aren't supposed to think Megas is anime, your supposed to think it's an American show having waaay too much fun poking fun at anime.

Emerje


Exactly. Megas is a goof. It's camp. It's fun to watch and doesn't apoligize for it. I don't know why people compare Megas to Teen Titans. Actually, it's probably because they never watched the show.

It's like people that say Howard Stern is all about ass 'n' titties. Clearly they've never listened.


I remember watching Megas and they spoofed a character based off of Captain Harlock. Bishounen sparkles~!! So classic. Anime hyper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anti-Mainstreamist



Joined: 21 Jun 2004
Posts: 85
Location: Away from the sun and other outside threats.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Hee, they went to a gaming con. That was hilarity. Volleyball game, great graphics. Graphics that made the, uh...backrounds look amazing. And when the power went out, everyone pulled out handhelds.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wizard55



Joined: 10 Oct 2003
Posts: 198
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:54 pm Reply with quote
well i just watched the clip for this show and I have to admit, it looks pretty neat. The animation looks very anime-like to me and I want to see this now. I do hate companys copying the anime style but this still looks really interesting. it reminds me of Naruto for some reason
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
midori kou



Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 468
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:08 am Reply with quote
wizard55 wrote:
well i just watched the clip for this show and I have to admit, it looks pretty neat. The animation looks very anime-like to me and I want to see this now. I do hate companys copying the anime style but this still looks really interesting. it reminds me of Naruto for some reason


It's more like of a combination of Hayao Miyazaki and Akira Toriyama, I say.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the_soultaker



Joined: 25 Mar 2004
Posts: 685
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:19 am Reply with quote
Utils wrote:
Exactly. Megas is a goof. It's camp. It's fun to watch and doesn't apoligize for it. I don't know why people compare Megas to Teen Titans. Actually, it's probably because they never watched the show.

It's like people that say Howard Stern is all about ass 'n' titties. Clearly they've never listened.
Well to be frank, 75% of Stern's material focuses on "T&A" the rest is satire and (Anti) Social commentary. The latter is definetley worth the listen.

As for dumb and clueless chicks who would drop their clothes on a whim, it's too damn redundant. (Talk about "fan service" Rolling Eyes ) And i wouldn't call Teen Titans or Totally Spies Psudeo Anime, (that term goes to Korean animated series like Geisters or Bast of Syndrome. Razz ) But they are emulating alot of traits that are usually fond in Anime: Big head expressions,big eyes and camera pans and angles. Thus lack of orginality as oppossed to paying "homage' to Anime itself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Utils



Joined: 30 Dec 2004
Posts: 14
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
Stuff


Yeah, I REALLY hate to sound like a prude but parts when a girl striops naked are boring. Unless of course they talk about something funny. I mean, I canb't see the naked girl. I usually turn off the radio when he does a celebrity interview also. Those bore me. The rest is comedy gold.

As far as imitating anime, is anyone even surprised that it's happening? Afterall, they've been copying us for years, and the French too! It's all good as far as I'm concerned. My problem with Teen Titans will always be the writing. If it wasn't for Cyborg I'd have stopped watching it long ago.

I really don't understand people that hate the fact that it was obviously "copied". Even saying "copy" is sort of a negative. It's interesting to watch. But it can also turn out really ugly like Shaolin Showdown. Oh man are those some ugly kids.

One show that borrowed well from anime while staying unique was Jacki Chan's adventures. Actually, they borrowed from many sources both animated and live action. But it was forged it a unique and enjoyable product that could stand on its own. It didn't look like your typical american show nor did it look like anime. It was it's own show. One thing you could tell was that it was animated by Dongwoo. It's probably the soft lines and rounded surfaces but you can always tell a dongwoo animated show.

Although, TMNT doesn't look like the typical Dongwoo animated show. It's probably all the cg effects they use.

Oh crap, I'm rambling again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tenchi



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 4317
Location: Ottawa... now I'm an ex-Anglo Montrealer.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Utils wrote:

I really don't understand people that hate the fact that it was obviously "copied". Even saying "copy" is sort of a negative. It's interesting to watch. But it can also turn out really ugly like Shaolin Showdown. Oh man are those some ugly kids.


Ugly or not, some kids like it, since Xiaolin Showdown routinely beats the anime on Foxbox by a margin of about 2:1 in the Saturday morning ratings, though Nickelodeon currently owns Saturday.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wyvern



Joined: 01 Sep 2004
Posts: 1110
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Utils wrote:

Ugly or not, some kids like it, since Xiaolin Showdown routinely beats the anime on Foxbox by a margin of about 2:1 in the Saturday morning ratings, though Nickelodeon currently owns Saturday.


Of course, that may have more to do with the horrendous quality of the lame hackjob dubs 4Kids tries to pass off on kids on saturday mornings. I have a ten-year-old cousin who said he didn't like One Piece because "they don't let us see the blood and stuff." He doesn't know anything about the unedited versian of the show, but he can just tell that it's been altered. Kids are smarter than you think.

Avatar looks like it might be good, but I have a bad feeling that it's going to be one of those shows where nothing ever gets resolved. The kids will fight the bad guys every week, the bad guys will lose but get away, lather, rinse, repeat, until they get to 65 episodes at which point Nick will just rerun the same shows forever in random order while trying to pass them off as new. This is pretty much Nick's buissness model, and probably part of why Invader Zim was canceled despite good ratings (the creators of Zim intended it to have an evolving plot, which would make it harder for Nick to repeat the episodes forever and pretend they were new.) Maybe they'll make an exception for Avatar, though; they seem to be pumping more money into the animation budget than ever before, at least.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group