• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Discusses Leaked Episodes

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
LordRedHand:
I sincerely hope you at least rent titles which have you curious despite the reviews.

Just wanted to point out the one little keyword there. I am amazed daily by the amount of "fans" who complain about buying anime or listening to friends and getting a crap show or any other number of excuses to not buy anime yet seem to just completely overlook this little option. Renting. If your friend's tastes in anime suck according to you, or you're unsure about a show, rent it. I know this is an old fuddy duddy concept from us geezers back in the day but seriously why do more fans not simply use Netflix or other very cheap and easy means to rent and preview anime? Netflix has saved me a lot of money by renting shows first and deciding they're not worth it. Or at least not until a box set is out and in the bargain bin at Right Stuf anyways. if you don't trust your friends or are just strapped for cash the plethora of rental services out there are a lifesaver.

To respond to the question yes after reccomendations and reviews, if I'm still unsure then the rental option comes forward (or if the volume 1 is reatively cheap I may purchase it if the unsure is leaning towards a net positive.) So I have all legitimate options on the table, it's just that the see it before you buy it is not the first option, more accurately it's my last option.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Brass2TheMax wrote:
But it's not going to happen. As we have learned, companies never do what makes more sense.

*applauds*

A more true statement has never been spoken.

But, the sad thing is that we, as either employees or consumers of said companies don't get the full picture of how and where companies spend money, and when technology continues to grow at such an accelerated rate that it threatens to make your job or business obselete overnight, companies can't really be faulted for experiencing fear of newer things. Its only natural for people, doubly so if its just not your own skin you are gambling on, but possibly all the guys who work with you.

Its not a defense, just reality. Anime companies, any company anywhere, if they posess any kind of business acumen try to predict changes in the market, figuring out how to reach as many people as possible, make their market as happy as possible and, of course, make money.

Sadly, us in the boxseats, that only see the front face of things most of the time, tend to come up with solutions on our own and not think of all the behind the scenes moving and shaking leaving us out in the cold, clutching our DVDs or online content screaming "The way you do things are stupid! We can do better!"
But of course, without a whole picture, any armchair business planning tends to fall on deaf ears, since it hasn't been proven yet. Unproven things tend to be treated with contempt, since it does tend to come with some degree of risk, and as we all know, risk without gain straddles the fine line of genious and insanity.

(Of course, I'm not trying to bring up the whole dismissive argument line of "You think its hard doing X, but since you have no experience, shut up" thing, no no no. Discussion of ideas is how things grow and develop. But sitting there and looking down your nose at others for the faults you see in them without trying to see it from both sides isn't a good thing at all.)
Miitan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
LordRedHand:
I sincerely hope you at least rent titles which have you curious despite the reviews.

Just wanted to point out the one little keyword there. I am amazed daily by the amount of "fans" who complain about buying anime or listening to friends and getting a crap show or any other number of excuses to not buy anime yet seem to just completely overlook this little option. Renting. If your friend's tastes in anime suck according to you, or you're unsure about a show, rent it. I know this is an old fuddy duddy concept from us geezers back in the day but seriously why do more fans not simply use Netflix or other very cheap and easy means to rent and preview anime? Netflix has saved me a lot of money by renting shows first and deciding they're not worth it. Or at least not until a box set is out and in the bargain bin at Right Stuf anyways. if you don't trust your friends or are just strapped for cash the plethora of rental services out there are a lifesaver.

Not everyone is in the US and has an option to rent.
Dr.Lazarus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to go "on-topic", but I just wanted to mention that Funi has apparently removed everything relating to Phantom from their site, so I'm guessing they won't be resuming the streams even when the server problem is fixed, and I only assume that due to the fact that they didn't remove the One-Piece or FMA-B stuff from their site after the leaks, so I'm suspecting the plug has been pulled on Phantom.
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Gladly edited, after hearing about FUNi's plans to launch the Shodojo website.

Last edited by The_X_box_360 on Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:01 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
LordRedHand:

Because anime is available to rent everywhere right? I have to travel 30 mins to get to the nearest wall-mart what makes you think ANY video rental store is going to have any anime whatsoever?
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:05 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
what makes you think ANY video rental store is going to have any anime whatsoever?

Why is it people relate renting with a brick and mortar store when there are online rental services available?
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
animehermit wrote:
what makes you think ANY video rental store is going to have any anime whatsoever?

Why is it people relate renting with a brick and mortar store when there are online rental services available?

if you feel like having paypall go into your bank account. which i don't its WAY too easy for something like that to fudge up with a transaction and end up costing you way more than it should
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:46 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
if you feel like having paypall go into your bank account.

Try using the bank account debit card instead. I don't ever use Paypal. It's not a legitimate bank and only a fool would allow such a company access to their financial institution.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
Miitan wrote:
Not everyone is in the US and has an option to rent.
Quite right. Those who aren't old enough, to qualify for a credit card, or are old enough, but not making enough income to qualify for a credit card, (though that didn't stop the banks from practically stuffing one down your pants damanding that you use it now and use it hard, hence the depression), or have a post address, those people will not be able to qualify to open a DVD rental by post account.
Ichigo069

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:20 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
animehermit wrote:
if you feel like having paypall go into your bank account.

Try using the bank account debit card instead. I don't ever use Paypal. It's not a legitimate bank and only a fool would allow such a company access to their financial institution.

Screw the bank account, just use a prepaid VISA/MC that you can get at most grocers and chemist shoppes. You can register them online and use them exactly like a VISA/MC
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:23 am Reply with quote
The_X_box_360 wrote:
I'll say it again....

Seriously, it looks like Funimation's gross negligence will end up having a negative effect on Crunchyroll (who's doing it the RIGHT way) and any other legal streaming anime providers that might emerge in the future.

I dare to wonder how much of this was truly an honest mistake on Funimation's part.
Has anyone even thought of whether CEO Gen Fukunaga would view a situation, where the Japanese animation industry drops it's support for legal streaming anime, as a good or bad thing for Funimation?

...This could truly end up becoming a terrible setback for legal streaming anime.

I doubt it. Only with Funimation does that seem to be the case. Hulu, YouTube, and Crunchyroll all appear to be generally unaffected. Funimation's servers appear to be down for maintenance indefinitely, but maybe when they come back they'll finally have features like 128-bit encryption of URLs and such, stuff that they should have been doing to begin with.

On the other hand, it may convince anime companies in Japan unsure about offering their products for other companies to legally stream to think twice about it. We might not see as many new series as we would have without this absurd fiasco. So I would say it may have a negative effect, but it won't be the death penalty.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:51 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
animehermit wrote:

if you feel like having paypal go into your bank account. which i don't its WAY too easy for something like that to fudge up with a transaction and end up costing you way more than it should

I've NEVER ONCE had paypal screw something up. I've had other websites through their own internal services screw things up but not once has paypal ever done so. As it stands now though I just have Netflix charge my bank card every month with my plan. No running to a store and I can keep the rentals however damn long I want. So brick and mortar rental stores aren't even needed. If you can walk to your mailbox, or get to a PO box, you can rent anime.

And yes of course not every has the means as they are underaged or live in areas where services such as this are unavailable. We all know that so no need to be anal retentive and nitpick. The point being made was quite clear (that being that the vast majority of people do have option available). Even the excuse of being a kid really isn;t a good one anymore. I mean shoot if you you told your parents they could save a shit load of their money signing up for Netflix over buying you dvds they'd have a party. Plus they could use it too and get a 4-5 dvd option and get some movies for themselves too. Cheaper then Blockbuster. Obviously not all people have as many options available to them but the ones that do should use them.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:10 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
animehermit wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
animehermit wrote:

if you feel like having paypal go into your bank account. which i don't its WAY too easy for something like that to fudge up with a transaction and end up costing you way more than it should

I've NEVER ONCE had paypal screw something up. I've had other websites through their own internal services screw things up but not once has paypal ever done so. As it stands now though I just have Netflix charge my bank card every month with my plan. No running to a store and I can keep the rentals however damn long I want. So brick and mortar rental stores aren't even needed. If you can walk to your mailbox, or get to a PO box, you can rent anime.

And yes of course not every has the means as they are underaged or live in areas where services such as this are unavailable. We all know that so no need to be anal retentive and nitpick. The point being made was quite clear (that being that the vast majority of people do have option available). Even the excuse of being a kid really isn;t a good one anymore. I mean shoot if you you told your parents they could save a shit load of their money signing up for Netflix over buying you dvds they'd have a party. Plus they could use it too and get a 4-5 dvd option and get some movies for themselves too. Cheaper then Blockbuster. Obviously not all people have as many options available to them but the ones that do should use them.

still not an option for me, its either buy or don't buy, and Iam not buying blind. I do the same thing with movies, i do research read maybe 10 or so reviews before going to see the movie/buy it. But anime is a little different, the only persons opinion i trust on anime is my own. There a lot of stupid people out there reviewing anime, that think bleach or naruto are the "teh best animus evah!!!" or even good for that matter.

as for the whole charging the debit card thing, i've been burned before,by excess charges to the account, one time they even froze it, so the way i see it, it wasn't worth it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 17 of 17