• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: S. California Digital TV Station Adds Haruhi Suzumiya

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I want this TV station. I wonder if it will be available in San Francisco.

They operate out of San Diego as far as I know. Although they might have a branch in LA. The only thing is you can't have cable and have this stuff at the same time, so I'm told. I was wondering the same about why they showed Haruhi first in April and then are saying that this Saturday is the official premier. Perhaps they're adding the new episodes?
Cloud668

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Now I seriously do hope that they will put this up on FTA satellite bands. Anyone know if the channel airs in Japanese or English?
dribbly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Cloud668 wrote:
Now I seriously do hope that they will put this up on FTA satellite bands. Anyone know if the channel airs in Japanese or English?

The majority of the shows are Japanese. Anime is subbed.
Their engrish site if anyone is interrested.
http://utbhollywood.com/en/index.php
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:41 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Wow! I wish they would set up shop in South Florida!

Whole-heartedly agree.
erod24

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I was checking out their site and Haruhi is in original Japanese TV order.Also has anyone watched the show Bloody Monday is it any good.
roesnail

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote
ok so i live in san diego. how do i get this channel? or is this shown everywhere in s. california besides san diego. because that happens alot
dribbly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
roesnail wrote:
ok so i live in san diego. how do i get this channel? or is this shown everywhere in s. california besides san diego. because that happens alot

First turn on your TV. Then change the channel to channel 18. If nothing happens, I guess you don't have it.
GaryPotter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
First off, KSCI is a Los Angeles station. So it's only being broadcasted in that area.

Second, it's not on KSCI itself, but on a digital subchannel of the station. So you need either an OTA tuner or a TV with a digital tuner.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Now this is a station I'd shell out $7/month for!!

24 hours? My DVR would melt with all the recordings I'd do.

Hey, Brighthouse! Drop TANOD and pick up UTD!

You know, I've yet to see the new show. Weird, eh?
baisengan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote
erod24 wrote:
I was checking out their site and Haruhi is in original Japanese TV order.Also has anyone watched the show Bloody Monday is it any good.

Bloody Monday was Bloody Good ^^...
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
I'm just... gonna chime in here...

Is this... channel like... legal?

Not to rain on parades or anything but it just seems... odd that they would have rights to air this so easily.

It's just... odd. Not that it matters to me but eh...

It just seems really, really odd.
Arcwave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote
Gahh! I'm so jealous -_-;; Come to Seattle!!!
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
otakubaybay wrote:
What? =O I live in SoCal and get no such channel!

...anyone know how to get it? Anime hyper

If you find out let me know because I am in SoCal with a cable box and still never even heard of this channel(or even get this channel for that matter).
dylandog

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote
I've been watching KSCI/UTBHollywood 18.2 since it started test broadcasts. It is a digital over-the-air subchannel, I don't think local cable carries it. It officially started May 1, with Haruhi, though it played D.I.C.E. before that. D.I.C.E. is dubbed, the other anime have all been subbed. Haruhi was broadcast in original (not chronological) order, and the Sola broadcast included the 2 OVA episodes. All in beautiful widescreen HDTV. Everything from the subtle palettes of Fantastic Children and True Tears to Haruhi's saturated colors looked great, no smearing or bleeding. I'm surprised (but happy) that Sola and True Tears were shown before their R1 DVD releases.

The subchannel also shows subbed live-action J-TV shows (Partners, Dondo Hare, Bloody Monday, Tenchijin). And NHK's English-language news and some dubbed cultural and tourism-related programs. All the movies (both the primetime and the midnight ones) I've watched have been raw.

Here's a link to their broadcast schedule:
http://utbhollywood.com/en/programlist/story/weekly/index.php

KSCI has Korean shows on their 18.1 and 18.3 subchannels, including subbed K-dramas like Cain & Abel and period drama. There are also Chinese, Vietnamese, and Armenian subchannels. They're all listed in the "Program Guide" on their website. http://www.kscitv.com
dylandog

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:51 am Reply with quote
It's an FCC-licensed, over-the-air, digital subchannel, broadcasting only in the Los Angeles area. Cable doesn't carry it AFAIK.

All the anime has been subbed, except for D.I.C.E. which is dubbed. MoHS was broadcast in original (not chronological) order, and the Sola broadcast included the 2 OVA episodes. I'm surprised (but happy) that Sola and True Tears were shown before their R1 street date.

BTW the anime is shown in two timeblocks, daily 10-10:30pm (MoHS starting 6/6) and a "kids" block 6-8am (repeated 10am-noon) on weekends (currently Eureka 7, D.I.C.E., and a Japanese lesson). Why Eureka is lumped with D.I.C.E. as a "kids" show is beyond me.

The live action programming includes subbed J-Dramas like Bloody Monday and Tenchijin. Their movies have all been raw.

KSCI also has Korean 18.1 and 18.3 subchannels with subbed dramas. And other Chinese, Vietnamese, and Armenian subchannels too. Check the "Program Guide" on their website.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4