• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: S. California Digital TV Station Adds Haruhi Suzumiya

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zer0X

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:02 am Reply with quote
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle wrote:
otakubaybay wrote:
What? =O I live in SoCal and get no such channel!

...anyone know how to get it? Anime hyper

If you find out let me know because I am in SoCal with a cable box and still never even heard of this channel(or even get this channel for that matter).

you don't need cable to get this channel. its a free over the air channel that you get when you use a digital converter box (not the same as a cable box) to watch digital over the air tv. All you need to do is scan for channels and go to channel 18.2.

Last edited by Zer0X on Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:32 am Reply with quote
dribbly wrote:
Cloud668 wrote:
Now I seriously do hope that they will put this up on FTA satellite bands. Anyone know if the channel airs in Japanese or English?

The majority of the shows are Japanese. Anime is subbed.
Their engrish site if anyone is interrested.
http://utbhollywood.com/en/index.php

Wow, they showed a listing of the episodes they're showing! It goes:

June 19th :The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 6
June 18th :The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 5
June 17th :Live Alive
June 16th :The Day of Sagittarius
June 15th :The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 4
June 14th :Someday in the Rain
June 13th :Remote Island Syndrome Part 2
June 12th :Mystérique Sign
June 11th :Remote Island Syndrome Part 1
June 10th :The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 3
June 9th :The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya
June 8th :The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 2
June 7th :The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 1
June 6th :he Adventures of Mikuru Asahina

Well, that proves it. These clowns are just showing the first run; move along, nothing to see here...except that it IS the first time EVER Haruhi has been on any TV in the US!
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:55 am Reply with quote
UTB Hollywood on KSCI-TV (LA18.2) in the Los Angeles area has also aired ROOKIES, the 2008 live action television drama series based on the sports (baseball) manga of the same name by Masanori Morita which ran in Weekly Shounen Jump from 1998 to 2003.

Unlike other major Asian and Pacific Islander ethnic communities in the United States (Chinese, Filipino, Korean, Vietnamese, Asian Indian, etc.), the ethnic Japanese community in the US is predominately American born, with several generations on American soil. Most do not speak Japanese or hardly speak Japanese.

An aging population, little immigration, a low birth rate, and a high rate of intermarriage help explain why, according to the US Census, the number of people living in the United States who classify themselves as "Japanese" SHRANK from a little less than 850,000 in 1990 (the No. 3 largest Asian and Pacific Islander group in the US) to a little less than 800,000 in 2000 (the No. 6 largest Asian and Pacific Islander group in the US) - less than 0.3% of the total US population.*

For more information on the declining Japanese American population in the US and the growing overall Asian American population in the US, see Japanese American Market Demographics and Census 2000: Asian American Population, among many other sources.

Therefore, unlike the myriad of Asian language digital television stations in Southern California which broadcast in Mandarin and Cantonese, Korean and Vietnamese, mainly targeting ethnic Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese immigrants (and perhaps some of their American born children), to a substantial extent UTB apparently reaches out to English speakers of all backgrounds, and has much Japanese programming with English dialog, English subtitles and English voiceovers/dubs.

(Filipino and Asian Indian immigrants commonly know English before they emigrate to America, which may help explain the relative dearth of local television programming in Filipino {e.g., Tagalog, Visayan} and Asian Indian languages {e.g., Hindi, Gujarati}).

In addition to the anime series already mentioned, UTB telecasts daily live satellite feeds of NHK WORLD TV, which is aimed at English speakers around the world.

NHK WORLD TV programs which may be of interest to anime fans include imagine-nation (check out my March 1, 2009 post on the ANN forums, Manga, Anime & Game TV Magazine Airs in Southern California, for more info); J-MELO hosted by singers May J. and Shanti, the latter whose work may be familiar to anime fans; and digital Stadium, aka digista.

One of the curators at digista is none other than Satoshi Kon, director of Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, and Paprika. They showed his 2007 anime short Ohayou (Good Morning) on one of the digista episodes from 2008 that recently ran (reran?) on UTB, in which Kon served as the curator.

Animation filmmaker Kunio Kato, who won the Oscar in the Best Animated Short Film category at the 2009 Academy Awards with his Tsumiki no Ie (La Maison en Petits Cubes), has appeared in the past on digista as one of Japan's promising independent animators.

Some of my favorite things to watch on UTB are various works of independent animation from Japan.

Japanese manga, anime, and games frequently pop up as topics on other Japanese programs airing on UTB. Recently, they aired a program on veteran manga artist Tetsuya Chiba of Ashita no Joe (Tomorrow's Joe) fame. Once in a while they rebroadcast a short segment exploring Akihabara hosted by American otaku Patrick Macias that was filmed a few years ago.

(They showed Gundam SEED Destiny figurines of Kira Yamato, Lacus Clyne, Athrun Zala, Shinn Asuka, Cagalli Yura Athha, Lunamaria Hawke, Meyrin Hawke, Meer Campbell, etc., so it may have been filmed in 2005.)

NHK WORLD TV, via UTB, also features a number of programs dealing with science and technology, particularly as they relate to Japan. Among other things, these programs did not fail to mention the names of four Nobel Prize winners Japan produced in the sciences for the year 2008: three native-born Japanese citizens - Toshihide Maskawa (Physics), Makoto Kobayashi (Physics), Osamu Shimomura (Chemistry) - and a Japanese-born naturalized American citizen, Yoichiro Nambu (Physics).

*In reality, the number of people living in the United States who had at least partial Japanese ancestry almost surely was higher than 800,000 in 2000.

Would Americans like actor Dean Cain aka Dean Tanaka (Clark Kent/Superman on Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman), actor Chad Michael Murray (Lucas Scott on One Tree Hill), actress Reiko Aylesworth (Michelle Dessler on 24), singer and guitarist Bianca Ryan (winner of the first season of America's Got Talent in 2006 when she was only eleven), musical artist Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park, lead singer Douglas Robb of Hoobastank, singer-songwriter Rachael Yamagata, indie singer-songwriter Meiko, October 2002 Playboy centerfold Teri (Marie) Harrison (a Barker's Beauty on The Price Is Right from 2002 to 2005), decathlete Bryan Clay (gold medalist in the men's decathlon at the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympic Games), etc., count as "Japanese" in the US Census since they are either one half Japanese or one fourth Japanese? More than likely, no.

By the way, although not American, the stunningly gorgeous latina actress Bárbara Mori Ochoa is part Japanese: her paternal grandfather came from Japan. Born in Montevideo, Uruguay to a Japanese-Uruguayan father, Yuyi Mori, and a Mexican mother, Rosario Ochoa, she primarily grew up in Mexico after her parents had divorced when she was only three. She has an older sister, actress Kenya Mori, and a younger brother, Kintaro Mori.

Bárbara Mori's breakout role was playing the "mala mujer" ("bad woman") titular lead in the 2004 hit remake of the 1968 Mexican telenovela (soap opera) Rubi, available in the US as an abridged version on a Region 1 3-DVD set from Televisa HOME ENTERTAINMENT, distributed by XENON PICTURES, in Spanish with English subtitles at Amazon, Tower, and other retailers at very affordable prices. Since then she has turned her back on television soap operas and has focused on theatrical movies.

She is not only beautiful - she looks good even without makeup (left photo, without makeup; right photo, with makeup) - but Bárbara Mori can actually act.

She shares the same exact Japanese surname as Riyo Mori of Japan, who won the title of Miss Universe 2007. Bárbara Mori, her father and her two siblings all have a Japanese kanji tattoo of their family name "Mori" (which means "forest" in Japanese) somewhere on their body, Bárbara's "Mori" kanji tattoo being on her lower back...

Last edited by Siegel Clyne on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:03 pm; edited 16 times in total
Jkid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
It's good thing that MBC America and UTB has launched in America. Here's the problem, by the looks of things, it will not be available in the DC area at all. I would love to watch them, but I don't live in either New York or Los Angeles

Where I live (Washington, DC) the subchannels are either useless weather radars or old repeats. Even their pbs subchannel offerings suck.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote
Their variety is pretty impressive. Stuff like True Tears would never get shown on something like Sci-Fi channel or Adult Swim, but I think it's the type of show that could introduce ALOT of people to anime. Anyone who watches stuff like Gilmore Girls, Dawson's Creek and basically any show on the CW or WB network would fall in love with True Tears in one episode.
uLTraCarL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
here's the coverage map

if you are in San Diego try tuning your digital tuner to 48

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KSCI
http://www.la18.tv/Landing/Default.aspx?PI=1019
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime
Altorrin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
You mean there are U.S. stations that air Haruhi?

[Wow! I wish they would set up shop in South Florida!]

This.

[that would be mainstream, mainstream, mainstream, mainstream, mainstream, mainstream , mainstream, mainstream, main/stream and mainstream note] - game

Fixed.

[The majority of the shows are Japanese. Anime is subbed. ]

Nevermind then. What the hell? Who (in America, anyway) broadcasts subs? Especially when dubs exist?!

[I was checking out their site and Haruhi is in original Japanese TV order]

Win.

[Not to rain on parades or anything but it just seems... odd that they would have rights to air this so easily. ] - Kyogissun

I believe they're airing the first season.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:45 pm Reply with quote
game wrote:
MetatronM wrote:
Haruhi, Eureka, and Fantastic freakin' Children?

Why do these guys have the best anime lineup in the country?
i disagree with you about the best anime line up comment

that would be naruto, bleach, gundam, sailor moon, yugioh, pokemon , one piece, yu yu hakusho, DBZ/DB kai and death note

I'm not aware of any network on US television that has such an anime lineup.

Of course, that list also reads as "One Piece, plus a whole ton of crap" to me.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Siegel Clyne wrote:
STUFF

I did not know that Dean Cain was Japanese.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rascalking

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:56 am Reply with quote
FOR GOD'S SAKE CAN SOMEONE PROVIDE INSTURCTIONS ON HOW TO VIEW THIS CHANNEL? I HAVE TIME WARNER AND A DIGITAL CABLE BOX. HOW DO I VIEW SUB CHANNELS???
bleuster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:49 am Reply with quote
Finally, something worth stickin' around for in this grubby town!
Too bad I don't watch TV Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
These are the same guys sponsoring AX09, right? If they got a booth set up I'd like to thank them, anyway. Last year, the news station of UTB did a good coverage of last year's AX.

The original channel aired anime. It wasn't subbed or dubbed as it aired in the morning for children.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zero_Shinji

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
Haruhi, Eureka, and Fantastic freakin' Children?

Why do these guys have the best anime lineup in the country?

because it's California? lol just joking, its the manager of the station who is broadcasting it. You can watch by usinf vai internet television. works like a sattelite T.V. awesome huh? that's how I got hooked on gunslinger girls, lol it was in italian and I had to watch it in english subtitles. My computer is jam-packed with auto-translator for videos and websites. :3 "High-Five"for your friendly ,lazy, and spirited anime/game lover Shinji Razz
Thomas de Modena

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I spoke the other day to someone at the local Time warner office in Orange and they told me that if I were to switch from Co axel cable ($25 per month) to Fiber optic ($50est.per month) I could see all of the new Sub channels such as 18.1, 18.3, and UTB's 18.2 But from what I'am reading here ( rascalking ) that's not Happening! Does anyone know whats really going on? I know that if I install a decoder and a UHF antenna that I could see UTB's 18.2 But until then I'am catpoop out of luck!
Eric10301

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
All you need is an antenna (most people should already have one on their home) and a digital tv or a digital converter box.
GaryPotter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
uLTraCarL wrote:
here's the coverage map

if you are in San Diego try tuning your digital tuner to 48

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KSCI
http://www.la18.tv/Landing/Default.aspx?PI=1019

KUAN-LP only broadcasts KSCI's main channel on analog. Those subchannels are not available in San Diego.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4