• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Fall 2012 - The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:12 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

I think it's merely proof that the creators of this show have never actually seen a real woman's naked body in their entire lives.

This is something that seriously turns me off from these shows. Even if the premise is cute or fun, the fact that they seem to have no freaking idea of how the female body works -and if they do, they clearly pretend not to- annoys me to no end. Seriously, Japan, girls' boobs don't bounce all over the place all the freaking time.

Its drawn in a way thats most sexually attractive. Like someone else said, real humans don't have big anime eyes either... its not MEANT to be super realistic. I would much rather have a "Perfect looking girl" in anime than one with the faults that come with what real girls have.
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
So, wonky musculature and collarboob is "perfect looking"? Razz
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
RapidEyeMovement wrote:

I'm not sure what picture she was talking about, but it just sounded like a general complaint about how anime girls don't look realistic to me.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
RapidEyeMovement wrote:

They are RyanSaotome's favourite fetishes, didn't you know?
Draneor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I would much rather have a "Perfect looking girl" in anime than one with the faults that come with what real girls have.

But don't you also come with flaws? Why have a different standard for others than yourself? Plus, having flaws make us human, different, and interesting . Anime is often idealized, and I wouldn't think idealization is necessarily wrong per se (although many interesting anime characters also have flaws). But if idealization encourages such bitterness towards real human beings maybe it is.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
It is an intregueing phenomenon about why I like the big eye's on anime girls, but find it grotesque on a real girl, or guy for that matter.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
RapidEyeMovement wrote:

Reminds me of a segment in Kyou no Go no Ni where one of the boys convinces his classmates that collarbones are actually really sexy.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I would much rather have a "Perfect looking girl" in anime than one with the faults that come with what real girls have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOgvlfWKw-I
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
RapidEyeMovement wrote:

Reminds me of a segment in Kyou no Go no Ni where one of the boys convinces his classmates that collarbones are actually really sexy.

Well sure, collarbones are sexy. "Collarboob", as in "breasts that look like they're attached to the girl's collarbone", on the other hand...

Last edited by RapidEyeMovement on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I've always valued the character behind the appearence. You can show me a pic of the hottest anime girl you can find but if I have no idea who they are it does nothing for me.

So when I look at a new show and the character designs I think "I'm looking forward to getting to know these girls!"
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
So when I look at a new show and the character designs I think "I'm looking forward to getting to know these girls!"

That's assuming the girls even have any personality at all, let alone a pleasant-enough personality that is worth you spending five hours of your life watching.
rheiders

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
RapidEyeMovement wrote:

I'm not sure what picture she was talking about, but it just sounded like a general complaint about how anime girls don't look realistic to me.

I was referring specifically to the third picture in the second row of the picture gallery for OniAi. My complaint is less about how "anime girls don't look realistic", and more about how several of the frames used in that picture gallery are pretty obviously off-model. For example, while that picture of the sister in the bath has collarboobs, the one before it (same character, same scene) does not. I do have some issues with the overall portrayal of women in many visual mediums, mostly with the lack of variety in body types compared to men, but that wasn't what I was talking about in this specific case. I'm just a bit annoyed because the art a show's creator uses for promotional artwork should be some of the best-looking art in the show, so using clumsy off-model frames like this seems unprofessional somehow. Unless, of course, your show always looks like that, which does not appear to be the case here.

But in direct response to your comment, bad anatomy and stylization are not the same thing. Have you ever heard the saying, "You have to know the rules to break them"? Never has that been more true than when it is applied to art. Things like getting the position of the muscles wrong in the shoulders or drawing a woman's breasts as originating from the collar bone have nothing to do with attempting to increase the character's sex appeal. It's an issue with the underlying structure of the drawing, suggesting that either the artist doesn't know their basics very well, or they just don't care. (In this case I don't know that either of these is the problem- I think they just had a few frames where the character went off-model.) They're getting the position of body parts wrong. It's the same type of problem as if somebody drew their character with eyes on their chin and a nose on their forehead. There's a difference between giving a female character an unrealistically thin waist, large head, and disproportionately large hips and chest as part of a show's style, and just not knowing what human anatomy actually looks like.

I'll give a couple of examples to illustrate my point, one male design and one female design, both from anime and both clearly stylized to be more "attractive" than is possible in real life. I'm rewatching Star Driver right now, so I'll use the (ridiculously bishounen) main character of that show as the male example. Takuto's design is by no means realistic- large head, large eyes, small nose and mouth, sharp chin and eyebrows, gravity-defying technicolor hair, rail-thin, body too long and lean, Ken-doll anatomy (if you get my meaning), and simplified anatomy overall. But it's clear the animators know what the human figure looks like and how it moves (it's Studio BONES after all, and if there's one thing they're known for, it's high-quality animation). The muscles, bones, and joints are all in roughly the right spots, all the joints illustrate roughly the right range of movement, and nothing sticks out as amateurish or inaccurate. For girls, and specifically female character designs stylized in a cute or "moe" way like this imouto character, I have no problem with the anatomy of any of the girls in KyoAni's shows (well, TMOHS, Kanon and Clannad, those being the only KyoAni shows I've seen any of^^; ). The style doesn't necessarily appeal to me personally (I think their faces make them look like Martians), but there is a clear understanding of how the human body works behind those designs and how they move. Let's take Asahina from TMOHS because I'm most familiar with that show. She is heavily stylized to look much younger than she is, with giant, shiny hamster eyes at almost the same level as her tiny mouth, while still retaining an attractive figure (i.e., unrealistically thin waist and disproportionately large hips and chest). Still, her body moves in a way that we can recognize as accurate for a human. Taking the stylized aspects into account, everything is right where it should be. Her breasts are large, but they aren't attached to her collar bone. The hourglass shape of her waist is exaggerated, but her waist angles in and out at the right spots.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
That's assuming the girls even have any personality at all, let alone a pleasant-enough personality that is worth you spending five hours of your life watching.

In the 1000+ anime I've seen I've never encountered a girl with no personality (unless that itself was a trait). People always complain about one note personalities or whatever but they usually judge that on first impression. Even in real life you'll only get one or two aspects of a person you've just met. You gotta get to know them and you'll see that there's a lot more to them than initially appeared.

As for pleasentness, yeah, that's a sticky point. However no matter how bitchy the lead is I often find one or two secondary girls that catch my interest.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Really? Perfect characters have this tendency to be boring and annoying as fudge. Else recall the criticism towards Medaka and Kirito, both annoyingly flawless
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
For a second there I thought the male lead for Pet Girl was acted by the same voice actor who acted Shu from Guilty Crown, and then the female lead was by Ai Kayano who did Inori from Guilty Crown, then I thought oh shit it was the dual again but then ........I was wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 39