• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Fall 2012 - The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Crunchyroll's added their fall simulcast page now. In addition to the 4 shows announced so far, it looks like we got at least 6 more announcements coming. I'm hoping that list will grow a little.

It's been up for almost a week now.
And they've announced 5, not 4, they just haven't added Ixion Saga DT to the list yet because they're not completely ready with all the terms.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Crunchyroll's added their fall simulcast page now. In addition to the 4 shows announced so far, it looks like we got at least 6 more announcements coming. I'm hoping that list will grow a little.

It's been up for almost a week now.
And they've announced 5, not 4, they just haven't added Ixion Saga DT to the list yet because they're not completely ready with all the terms.

Really? I had been checking their main page, but a link wasn't there, unless I am completely blind.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Really? I had been checking their main page, but a link wasn't there, unless I am completely blind.

They wiped last season and started the new season when they announced Hiiro No Kakera S2

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-777033/new-fall-titles-hiiro-no-kakera-season-2

Don't know how long the link has been on the front page, but the best thing to do is bookmark the Lineup page.
That way you're never behind when they wipe it and start anew.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Key wrote:
And calling PMMM "the best anime series in an entire decade" is going overboard.

So what are your top ten Anime for the decade 2002-2012? You're so eager to attack others, but not so eager to actually back it up.

Apologies for not replying on this earlier; I honestly completely forgot that I had posted in this thread.

If we were just talking about the 2010s then I'd be hard-pressed to come up with a better series (I was really tempted to say Hanasku Iroha just to get your goat Wink), as the last couple of years have been kinda thin on series with A-rated writing. Go back to the second half of the 2000s, though, and there are several options that would be competitive; for instance, Asatte no Hokyou (aka Living for the Day After Tomorrow) and Spice and Wolf II lose nothing to PMMM on writing merits, though I'll certainly understand in both cases if you prefer PMMM based on personal taste, since neither series is for everyone.

As for which 5-6 series from that time period I'd definitively rate higher? You'll just have to bide your time on that one. I'll get to it at some point after the upcoming Preview Guide is done, and in much greater detail. Just not here. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Spice & Wolf is a great franchise which I do like very much, but both seasons are straight 'A' shows rather than 'A+' shows. I rated both seasons as Excellent whereas PMMM was an easy Masterpiece.

I have just started a torrent for Living for the Day After Tomorrow and have added the show to my to-watch list. I'll get around to it eventually, I promise you that.

There have been many great series (as in, A- or better) in the last two or three years. I don't know if it is just because I've watched so many series in the last three years, but my spreadsheet tells me that 2010 and 2011 are the two strongest years ever for Anime (out of all the Anime I have seen).
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I have just started a torrent for Living for the Day After Tomorrow and have added the show to my to-watch list.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/fEj=A0w-6jK1q2IlkI/browse/item/86524/4/0/0
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
No offence, but I'd rather not buy an out-of-zone DVD.

Don't worry, I always buy anything I watch more than three episodes of using fansubs (or rips of official streams and home video discs). That is, providing it comes to Australasia.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Spice & Wolf is a great franchise which I do like very much, but both seasons are straight 'A' shows rather than 'A+' shows. I rated both seasons as Excellent whereas PMMM was an easy Masterpiece.

I have just started a torrent for Living for the Day After Tomorrow and have added the show to my to-watch list. I'll get around to it eventually, I promise you that.

There have been many great series (as in, A- or better) in the last two or three years. I don't know if it is just because I've watched so many series in the last three years, but my spreadsheet tells me that 2010 and 2011 are the two strongest years ever for Anime (out of all the Anime I have seen).

I think you and I will not see eye-to-eye on this, but Guin Saga is also a recent Masterpiece, if you ignore the rather uninspired dub. The sheer magnitude of the story, the awesome world-building, and most of all the complex characters make it a great series to watch.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Well dragon695, the Guin Saga dub is not just "uninspired" but outright offensive. Needless to say, I stayed well clear of it.

As for the show itself, I certainly found it fascinating and competently-told, but spoiler[in many ways the real story was just getting started by the end of the series. That hurt it a bit. I also felt the prince suddenly getting a personality transplant to be rather jarring. Yeah, it was nice of him to get some balls, but character development has to be earned, not just handed out on a platter.]
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Yes, whatever else I or others may say or think about you, dtm42, I do at least respect you for that firm policy. (I have a somewhat similar one: I always delete any fansubs I have of a series if/when I can get my hands on a hard copy.)

As for your comments about A-rated series: You have to remember that I'm very selective about giving out A+ grades. In nearly eight years of reviewing for this site and several hundred reviews, I've only given them out three times: once for Story, once for Art (a grade that, in retrospect, I wish I could retract), and once for Music. For me, a full A is a Masterpiece rating and an A- is an Excellent, while an A+ means "not conceivably beatable." While I may be a little liberal with the A- grades, I am quite strict about assigning the two higher levels. Thus I'll acknowledge that there have been several A- series in the 2010s but hardly anything that I'd consider full A level (and thus Top 10-worthy).

Now AFAIC, the peak years in the last decade for quality anime were 2004, 2006-2007, and 2009, especially that middle period.

Oh, and I disagree with drgon695 about Guin Saga being Masterpiece level, problematic English dub or not. It's certainly one of the best for closer and character designs, and I think it's a good series overall, but it was too mired in classic fantasy molds for my taste. (And I'm someone who spent his middle school years reading every Conan the Barbarian story that I could find.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex also came out in the last 10 years, which is something I would personally consider a masterpiece. It also has probably the best dub(giving Cowboy Bebop a run for it's money) of all time and one of the best soundtracks ever recorded.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I've only given them out three times: once for Story, once for Art (a grade that, in retrospect, I wish I could retract), and once for Music.

Slight tangent here, but actually, excluding duplicates from reviewing multiple volumes of the same series, you've given out A+ scores 4 times. Story for Koi Kaze, Music for Princess Tutu, Art for Gankutsuou, and Art (and Animation) for Karas: The Revelation. (And no, I'm not a creepy stalker, I only knew the Princess Tutu and Koi Kaze ones off the top of my head and used google to find the rest.) I'm curious, is it the Karas on or the Gankutsuou one you've changed your mind about? And which one have you forgotten about?

As for my own view, I'd rank Madoka Magica as one of the best series of the past decade (that I've seen of course), but not necessarily THE best. I'm not sure what my ranking would be. My favorite series of all time is probably Princess Tutu, but speaking from a more objective, critical perspective, it does have some notable, although minor, flaws.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Well dragon695, the Guin Saga dub is not just "uninspired" but outright offensive. Needless to say, I stayed well clear of it.

As for the show itself, I certainly found it fascinating and competently-told, but spoiler[in many ways the real story was just getting started by the end of the series. That hurt it a bit. I also felt the prince suddenly getting a personality transplant to be rather jarring. Yeah, it was nice of him to get some balls, but character development has to be earned, not just handed out on a platter.]

Without getting too much into it, spoiler[I thought the abrupt change in character was interesting in how it changed the group dynamics with respect to the other characters and Guin, but I can see why you feel differently. It remains to be seen to what extent it is influence and what extent it is Remus himself changing, which is also part of the intrigue. I also agree about the anime only just beginning the story, but to be fair we're talking only 15 out of 130 volumes of light novel here. Alas, the untimely death of the author sort of put it limbo, but I believe volumes 127-130 published posthumously have wrapped up the story and side-stories according to final wishes. Perhaps there will be motivation to continue it now.]

Interestingly enough, I recall reading in a couple of places and here that it was a story many anime/manga artists and writers enjoyed, including Beserk's mangaka and even Urobuchi, with the former even drawing his inspiration for his magnum opus from it. I can only hope that spoiler[more of the story will be animated, but I won't hold my breath.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Now AFAIC, the peak years in the last decade for quality anime were 2004, 2006-2007, and 2009, especially that middle period.

My spreadsheet agrees with you about 2004 and 2009, not so much about 2006-07.

2004 is the third highest-ranked year on the spreadsheet (after 2011 and 2010). It had strong shows like Master Keaton (the OVA version), Koi Kaze, Samurai Champloo, Zipang, Kurau: Phantom Memory, Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Gankutsuou, Elfen Lied, Fantastic Children and Samurai 7. Pretty fantastic list if you ask me.

2006-2007 wasn't as good a year, mainly because I do not agree that shows like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and TTGL were as great as others have made them out to be. Death Note is the only title that I rated Masterpiece out of the entire two years, whereas I rated four shows as Masterpiece in 2011 alone. 2006-07 does have plenty of fine shows such as the first Code Geass, the first Nodame Cantabile, FLAG, Dennō Coil, Moribito, NANA, Le Chevalier D'Eon, Romeo X Juliet, Heroic Age, Clannad, Ghost Hound and Baccano!. It's a strong lineup, but of course that list is spread over two years rather than one.

2009 is the fourth-best year on my spreadsheet. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Bakemonogatari, the second Spice & Wolf, the second Natsume Yuujinchou, the second Birdy the Mighty, Sora no Manimani, Guin Saga, Eden of the East, Cross Game, the first Kimi ni Todoke, the first Letter Bee, and Summer Wars. It's a list that any year would be proud of.
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Guin Saga (...) The sheer magnitude of the story, the awesome world-building, and most of all the complex characters make it a great series to watch.

And don't forget the music Wink
Well, I really liked what I've read of the books for now and I so hoped Guin Saga would be the 4th really great high fantasy anime to add to my list, but they kinda messed up the anime adaption. It could have been so much better. Granted, given its length it was a really hard series to adapt, that would have needed a lot more episodes to do the source material justice (maybe a movie series, adapting each arc separately would have been a better choice). In the end they squeezed way too much content into 26 episodes, left out good parts (which at times resulted in plot-holes or "abrupt changes") and sometimes replaced them with inferior storytelling. It wasn't a bad series overall, but it had the potential to be so much more, which ultimately made it quite a big disappointment for me. Btw, the novels have even more detailed world-building.

From the New World's first episode was good. Guessed what was going to happen, but the story and setting are intriguing and have lots of potential. Somehow it feels more like a fantasy show for now. The animation is stylish and the soundtrack is really pretty as well. Love the kanji font ...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 35 of 39