• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Basquash Director Shin Itagaki Reportedly Replaced

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote
Can't say I'm surprised. The series so far has felt uneven. The first episode was epic but since then it's been uneven and not much of a sense of direction. Overall it's still a decent fun series, it's just that it hasn't left up to it's full potential that the first episode showed.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:52 am Reply with quote
I didn't see anything wrong with it so far.

He got replaced by someone who worked on Kissdum. RIP Basquash. Laughing
Jacut

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:52 am Reply with quote
Good thing, the series had such a good potential and was so utterly bullshit on screen I somehow felt bad for the production team. I hope that the current scenarist and one of my fav directors, Tatsuo Sato, takes up the directing spot!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I didn't see anything wrong with it so far.

He got replaced by someone who worked on Kissdum. RIP Basquash. Laughing

Except that wasn't he's fault that Kissdum was such a disaster it was doomed to failure before it aired. The original director/script writer of Kissdum bailed during pre-production but because satellite already had sign with advertisers for this series they had to go through it, production was far behind schedule and the original director/screenwriter of the series gone so they had to make up the story without him thus kissdum all around was a disaster.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
The series had potential but just hasn't lived upto it.
Also doesn't help the whole mecha+basketball thing is just a weird combo in the first place.
Anyway, guess this will either make or break the series.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I never liked this series in the first place. I just could not get "into" it. This and one other series are the only two from this season that I am NOT watching. So personally, I am not too surprised - maybe the changes will make the anime more palatable or something....
David.Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Isn't it true that one episode of anime take months and months of production time until its ready for TV? If this is accurate, then wouldn't it be safe to assume that despite the fact he left the show, there are still going to be plenty of finished episodes directed by him?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
This was one of the better series this season and it's a Kawamori Satelight project. I really hope it doesn't go down the drain since it has the potential to be much better. They even essentially have the Macross team on this project Crying or Very sad

Quote:
Isn't it true that one episode of anime take months and months of production time until its ready for TV? If this is accurate, then wouldn't it be safe to assume that despite the fact he left the show, there are still going to be plenty of finished episodes directed by him?

I believe the series is 26 episodes long so yes there's a lot of stuff left.
Valetina

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
That is no surprise, the series was to ADD like. There was nothing exciting about it, execpt for the first episode. Hopefully yhe new director would add something more to it.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:

Overall, yes, but most of the time episodes aren't truly finished until a week, or sometimes days, before airing.
In that sense, yes, the director's influence will still be seen for at least a handful more eps, but since there's still along way to go, there's more than enough time for the new director to put his stamp on the series.
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I've been really enjoying this series. I hope this only makes it better.
*crosses fingers*
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I never watched Basquash, even after the glowing reviews of episodes 1-2 on this site, along with the reactions of people I know who watched the early episodes.

I just knew that it would be hard for that type of show to be able to maintain any sort of balance. It just seemed like eye candy, and while eye candy may be pretty, it's just not what I like to watch.

Now Cross Game on the other hand... talk about a series with proper balance Wink

Anyway, hopefully the new director can help the series improve. If I hear good things once it's over, I just may give it a watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1