• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digital Manga Publishing Sells Directly to Retailers

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
And so the fate of Enchanter and Knights remains in limbo...
Arcwave

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Umm... Am I looking at these titles wrong or does this place specialize in homosexual manga?

Shocked
LKK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Arcwave wrote:
Umm... Am I looking at these titles wrong or does this place specialize in homosexual manga?

Shocked

A large percentage of DMP's catalogue is devoted to boys love titles. However, they do not publish BL titles exclusively.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Diamond are everything that's wrong with comics etc. What's really needed is a rival to match them. I just wish some outfit would rise up to give everyone a better deal.

It could happen. Image comics were born out of necessity and look at them now. Perhaps all manga publishers need to get together and do their own trade magazine or website.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Cool

Last week I got the Cartoon Art Museum in San Francisco to order a pile of DMP titles from a distributor (I advise the store on their manga). Now they can go direct, which is something they like as the store manager wants to build better relationships with publishers.

BTW they just got in a nice sized box of Boys Love (aka YAOI) stuff from DMP with select volumes for a window display. After all the museum is in San Francisco.

My favorite DMP titles are IWGP and Worst. Neither of which are BL, but then I have yet to read a BL title.
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Makes sense, since Diamond won't be reoffering books anymore except for big sellers, which is the way a lot of smaller publishers used to do a fair amount of business. I noticed that their text format online catalogue doesn't even relist DC and Marvel's backlists with the most recent Previews, so they look to be concentrating on getting out newer books in their monthly cataloge. They're still doing a STAR system catalogue for backlists, so they're not getting rid of it entirely, just concentrating on the more popular items.

I'm guessing DMP setting up the site is a way for retailers who move a lot of their books to reorder older or less popular books, and offer another venue outside of Adult Previews [which is now PDF only] for comic shops and specialty stores to get their older titles [I think Diamond is also their bookstore distributor, though that unit is seperate from Direct Sales, so will probably remain unaffected]. DMP has been getting back into general audiences books with stuff like Vampire Hunter D, and continue to copublish some books with Dark Horse like Trigun, Berserk and Hellsing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1