• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-06-10

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
v1cious wrote:
how would they have a secret weapon, when they only found out what was going on a couple minutes ago?

No doubt they had always expected Kevin to do something crazy, so they were prepared.

Maybe they just ran and bought it ... or they had bought it for themselves earlier ~ who knows Smile
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
glad somebody else noticed goodwin's... but does that count in manga?
Eh, if it's good enough for the Internet it's good enough for manga. Cool

I do wonder what Megan's response will be. Eager for the next comic. This arc isn't quite as thrilling as what is going on right now in the other web-comic I read, Order of the Stick but then there are no undead Lich sorcerers in this comic.

Yet. Twisted Evil

You know, I'd actually like to meet someone who is an otakukin in person. It seems like such a joke of a belief system it would be fascinating to hear them rambling about it in person. (Plus, I really want to see them try to prove they can do Naruto's moves or something.)
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
Anime hyper This can only end with fire.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Anime hyper This can only end with fire.

No, that's not true. It can only end with someone being sent to the hospital. Hah.
nqm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:44 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
EireformContinent wrote:
Mikuru wrote:
I love when you try to show otakin reality and they call you "closed minded bigots" Anime hyper

Did you have such a situation?
Once I was called Judas because I said that not every Japanese comic is better than western one Smile

Awww, buddy. I feel your pain. I mean, I hate it when comic book fans refuse to read something 'cause it's manga, but that doesn't mean manga fans can't acknowlege there's more to Western comics than superheroes (such as Bone and Scott Pilgrim).

I'm ashamed to say I've never heard of the Good Smile company . . . probably 'cause I don't collect figures.

Agreed im more of a Western Comics guy but I spend more money on anime dvd's than non anime ones. But it's all comics or if you wanna get fancy "Sequential art" there's good things between both Western and manga. I remember one indy comic book creator said "Superhero comics are like pizza. Great and tasty but you wouldn't want to have it everyday." I think both sides are too quick to judge and not open their minds.
Shirogane

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:04 am Reply with quote
That UMD statue is pretty cool looking and it is a rare variant too! Go for it, Kevin.

But yeah, as much as I'm enjoying this Tamahome/Miaka section, I'm still missing Myoopi. Is he staying in the hotel room?
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:27 am Reply with quote
Shirogane wrote:
But yeah, as much as I'm enjoying this Tamahome/Miaka section, I'm still missing Myoopi. Is he staying in the hotel room?

Probably chatting up plushies, not knowing (or perhaps not caring) that they aren't real. Either that or he's set up a booth selling the candy he, uh, excretes. Such real entrepreneurial spirit.
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:25 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
You know, I'd actually like to meet someone who is an otakukin in person. It seems like such a joke of a belief system it would be fascinating to hear them rambling about it in person. (Plus, I really want to see them try to prove they can do Naruto's moves or something.)

I know it's kind of goofy, but I'm actually a bit concerned for these people. If they have this much of a disconnection from reality, it likely means they have a serious mental problem of some kind. They probably need serious help, and may or may not be dangerous to themselves or others. Raise your have if you wanna meet up with the nut who thinks he is someone out of Ruroni Kenshin...
Shirogane

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
It depends; does the person think they are Kaoru or Shishio? Laughing

Cosplaying and roleplaying are fine, but if they truly believe they are that character...then it is a little worrisome.
heavyweather

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
"Closed-minded Bigots"!? If you think Nina and Paola are bigots (or Nazis), than you need to stop watching anime for a few moments and read/watch/listen to the news.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
vtnwesley wrote:
I know it's kind of goofy, but I'm actually a bit concerned for these people. If they have this much of a disconnection from reality, it likely means they have a serious mental problem of some kind. They probably need serious help, and may or may not be dangerous to themselves or others.
I doubt most of these people are actually dangerous. Really I doubt most of them are even all that disconnected with reality. They've taken a fantasy WAY too far but I figure the vast majority are about as dangerous as this guy. More likely than not if they TRULY believe they have powers like their "past lives" then they might get themselves hurt/killed but I think most of them are connected enough with reality to understand that they can't actually do these things. (At least not in this life.)

Not arguing they couldn't use some help but then again, it's hard to pull a person out of a fantasy life that gives them a sense of meaning and purpose. I mean, the real world isn't exactly a paradise. If they can function in life without major impairment, the medical community and legal community will mostly leave them be anyway. It's actually rather hard to get people treatment against their will.

vtnwesley wrote:
Raise your have if you wanna meet up with the nut who thinks he is someone out of Ruroni Kenshin...
Sure, why not. Unless they actually know martial arts I think I'll be fine. Cool
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
Although the disconection is worrysome, what truly is concerning is what happens to these people once them become adults and when they become elderly.

I know this is good fun, but eventually a person is going to have to grow up and find a stable job to earn income. I can't really imagine the parents being able to provide the funds or housing forever.

I know anime is a fantastic hobby. This is one hobby I hope to have for several years to come, but losing sight reality is going overboard.
Olliff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Although the disconection is worrysome, what truly is concerning is what happens to these people once them become adults and when they become elderly.

I know this is good fun, but eventually a person is going to have to grow up and find a stable job to earn income. I can't really imagine the parents being able to provide the funds or housing forever.

I know anime is a fantastic hobby. This is one hobby I hope to have for several years to come, but losing sight reality is going overboard.

Anything in excess is a bad thing, and anime is no exception. Not exactly sure if it was the author's intent to hammer this point as seriously as you state it, but it is referenced at the very least. Like fans for other similar fantasy hobbies, escapism strongly appeals to a certain demographic of fans, and when taken to excess this can lead to distorted view of reality. Make no mistake, escapism can be healthy in moderation and it can even encourage creativity, but at the same time it's important to never become too obsessed to the point where you distort your sense of reality or become distanced from real people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4