• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Burn After Playing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
T vs C: Yeah I'm pretty sure it would offend someone, though I would imagine people would have grown up by now in comparison to when these things were causing everyone enormous butthurt. I mean did you see the controversy around Tom's owner in Tom and Jerry? Or Jinx from Pokeyman? Sheesh.

Sin and Punishment 2: All I know about the first game comes from the teeny info I learned from Smash Bros. Brawl. And the character designs don't look that bad.

FF4 AY: All right, let me be honest here. I loved FF4 when it was stupidly called 2. I played it obsessively, always starting new games and finishing them. Trying to find fun ways to enjoy each playthrough. After I gave it up to a Gamestop to move on to better RPGs, I never forgot how it helped me develop a love for JRPGs and the FF series (the first one was seriously too hard for me when I was a kid). I enjoyed the Gameboy Advance port of FF4. Helped me relive some good times. This After Years thing might be a way for these guys to keep milking the franchise the way they won't ever stop with FF7 (seriously, enough already Nomura), but I think taking an 18 year old game and continuing the story we grew up with and the characters we adored is a great thing in and of itself.

Flower, Sun and Rain: This wouldn't happen to be the same game whose soundtrack I bought years ago, is it? The soundtrack is called Water ~For Relaxing Time~ but Gamemusic.com put it under Flower, Sun and Rain Image Tracks.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:25 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
"Hardcore" gamers are the ones who shell out the bucks for "armored space marines vs ___ " first-person-shooters again and again and scoff at the idea that popular/good video games could be anything other than exquisitely rendered gorefests?
Troll bait for 200 points! You want to go there? I believe it's the opposite.We (the "hardcore" gamers) are the ones who know what games to buy and the ones to stay away from.Not your example of the mainstream who mistakenly fund games based on what is popular at the time.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:28 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
....HOW was TP in any way a disappointment?????????????? That was the best made Zelda since OoT

^ This.

Twilight Princess was a fantastic game in every possible way.

And more anything from the Soma Bringer team is good. It baffles me to this day why they're not translating that game. It was fantastic.
panzer.time

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
"Hardcore" gamers are the ones who shell out the bucks for "armored space marines vs ___ " first-person-shooters again and again and scoff at the idea that popular/good video games could be anything other than exquisitely rendered gorefests?
Troll bait for 200 points! You want to go there? I believe it's the opposite.We (the "hardcore" gamers) are the ones who know what games to buy and the ones to stay away from.Not your example of the mainstream who mistakenly fund games based on what is popular at the time.

According to Sony, hardcore gamers are the ones who "already have their PlayStation 2 units."

That's on this Wikipedia article.

Last edited by panzer.time on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
....HOW was TP in any way a disappointment?????????????? That was the best made Zelda since OoT

^ This.

Several Zelda veterans thought TP was unusually easy for a Zelda game.(and i somewhat agree) It had a pretty good start, but it got progressively easier. The last few levels were practically straight paths. I enjoyed the game, but I'd just wished the game maintained its challenging puzzle aspect through more than just the first half of the game. The other troubling aspect is that Nintendo already announced that they wanted to start making Zelda even more accessible for casual gamers AFTER TP was released. With that said, I will probably give the new Zelda game a rental first to see if it's worth playing through.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
panzer.time wrote:
According to Sony, hardcore gamers are the ones who "already have their PlayStation 2 units."

I bought Final Fantasy XI (B ig P.o.S.) just for that 40 Gig HDD,wayback in the day. I am playing Juuni Kokuki:Guren no Hyou Koujin no Mitsu (12 kingdoms RPG) on PS2 with HD Loader,as we speak.

Ryvius213 wrote:
BleuVII wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

^ This.

Several Zelda veterans thought TP was unusually easy for a Zelda game.(and i somewhat agree) It had a pretty good start, but it got progressively easier. The last few levels were practically straight paths. I enjoyed the game, but I'd just wished the game maintained its challenging puzzle aspect through more than just the first half of the game. The other troubling aspect is that Nintendo already announced that they wanted to start making Zelda even more accessible for casual gamers AFTER TP was released. With that said, I will probably give the new Zelda game a rental first to see if it's worth playing through.
I agree.It was.It was more for the mainstream crowd,not the oldschool Zelda fans.IMO Wind Waker a.k.a. spoiler[ Oot 2 depending on it you beat the game or not ] was the last great Zelda and everybody seemed to hate that,so....whatever.Zelda fans are too damn divided.I blame the N64.
Sutibaru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:12 am Reply with quote
I think it's pretty clear the guest character in the LOZ concept art is either some sort of guardian or fairy dressed like the Master Sword or even a living and humanoid version of the sword itself. Notice link does not have a sword in his hand and the girl is... well she is dressed like the sword.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:11 am Reply with quote
Good eye.The old master sword sounds plausible.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:29 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

Don't get me wrong, it was still a good game and Midna was a great new character. The main reason it was a disappointment for me was that the game was almost completely made of recycled parts, with precious little new. Unlike MM and WW, that managed stand on their own, Twilight Princess in many ways just felt like a rehash of Ocarina of Time. Add to that the limited and underutilised shapeshifting and two-worlds mechanics (when compared to likes of Metroid Prime 2 and the series own previous efforts), the afore mentioned overeasiness and weak sidequests.

But hey, I consider Wind Waker to be the best Zelda-game ever made, so what do I know, right?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:35 am Reply with quote
Re: TvC. Figures the Sneezing Magician might not be politically correct. No fanbase in the U.S. AFAIK, unless that English dub on Cartoon Network Asia got around farther than I thought.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:28 am Reply with quote
Hey, Windwaker was fun and once you got over the change in design, a great game too. After a while you got a bit tired of all the sailing but luckily they introduce the wrap feature just in time. I loved the combat in Wind Waker. The only part that annoyed me was the ice stage and some puzzle I had the hardest time just trying to find. Not solve. FIND. But it was a great game.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
I agree.It was.It was more for the mainstream crowd,not the oldschool Zelda fans.IMO Wind Waker a.k.a. spoiler[ Oot 2 depending on it you beat the game or not ] was the last great Zelda and everybody seemed to hate that,so....whatever.Zelda fans are too damn divided.I blame the N64.

Wind Waker is very underrated compared with the other 3D Zelda games. I remember the first screens showing an Adult Link dueling Ganondorf and how shocked I was later on like a lot of fans when they switched the graphic style and revealed that it will once again star kid Link.

The gameplay was a bit easy and straightforward at times, but I thought the quirky visual style gave room to a lot of ctreativity and allowed the team to experiment with many different ideas. Much like the earlier two 3D Zeldas and unlike TP, I found little fault in it and consider it an example of video game 'art'.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
Wind Waker is very underrated compared with the other 3D Zelda games. I remember the first screens showing an Adult Link dueling Ganondorf and how shocked I was later on like a lot of fans when they switched the graphic style and revealed that it will once again star kid Link.

The gameplay was a bit easy and straightforward at times, but I thought the quirky visual style gave room to a lot of ctreativity and allowed the team to experiment with many different ideas. Much like the earlier two 3D Zeldas and unlike TP, I found little fault in it and consider it an example of video game 'art'.
Yeah,you are talking about the spaceworld tech demo for zelda.True it did look amazing,but I was never one of the many who were hung up on it though.I have no qualms with any of it.I love all of the games released.TP could have been better.

I want a remake of Link to the past.This might be it.

Did you ever get into cell shading? It's got to be the most insane tool to work with,and look how well nintendo did with WW.

Super under appreciated.
sfried

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
panzer.time wrote:

I bought Final Fantasy XI (B ig P.o.S.) just for that 40 Gig HDD,wayback in the day. I am playing Juuni Kokuki:Guren no Hyou Koujin no Mitsu (12 kingdoms RPG) on PS2 with HD Loader,as we speak.

Ryvius213 wrote:
BleuVII wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

^ This.

WHAT?!

Don't go hatin' on Majora's Mask. My most favorite Zelda IMO. Definately trumps OoT in terms of challenge, and a cast I could finally care about. (People who are having trouble with it are those who didn't know spoiler[REVERSE SONG OF TIME! What idiots!].
darcerin wrote:
Phantom Hourglass was truly boring, and made me angry, going through the whole temple each time I had to retrieve something/go down to a new level, whatever. What happened to shortcuts to spare me some time on the hourglass? Sheesh. I hope this new game is better.
I enjoyed Phantom Hourglass! What are you talking about?
What happened to the shortcuts? spoiler[You're suppose to use your new fangled tools from other dungeons to find them stupid!].

On that record, I also liked Link's Awakening and Oracle of Ages. Yes, stomping-hard Zeldas is my forte.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
But hey, I consider Wind Waker to be the best Zelda-game ever made, so what do I know, right?

Nothing wrong with that, aside from Link to the Past (where's the SNES love in this forum? Sad ), WW is my favorite Zelda as well.

A big turn-off to me in the adventure genre is puzzles. I don't mind them, but when they get too numerous and challenging, I get irritated, so this is actually why I rank OoT a bit lower on my Zelda ranking compared to most other gamers. So if Nintendo wants to make the puzzles less challenging in order to reach a wider market, I'm definitely okay with that.

To me, the adventure genre's point is to, well, have an adventure! If I'm having to halt my adventure and spend way too much time in the same room trying to solve a complex puzzle, I feel we've missed the point of the genre. Same would apply to staying in a particular room to fight off countless waves of enemies, but that's pretty much never been a problem in the Zelda games.

As for Todd calling the Wheel of Time books "boring", hmmph. Book 10 and part of 8 aside, I've loved all of them, and they're my favorite recent fantasy series (I consider A Song of Ice and Fire to be superior, but not genuine fantasy, and I enjoy Harry Potter, but not on the same level as most). Can't wait for the last one, and thanks for a great ride, Robert Jordan, RIP.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4