• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Death Note DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:54 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Ryuk is a Shinigami, and therefore not bound by human morality.

Exactly. You forget that a non-human entity can be a villain; we humans do not have complete dominion over being antagonists. Just look at Trigun, War of the Worlds, Animal Farm, Alien, Blade Runner, Terminator, The Matrix, Kang and Kodos (from the Simpsons). The list goes on. Indeed, in fiction it is often the non-humans who are the villains, no matter how "evil" they may or may not be (or how nice the humans who are facing off against them).
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:02 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Exactly. You forget that a non-human entity can be a villain; we humans do not have complete dominion over being antagonists. Just look at Trigun, War of the Worlds, Animal Farm, Alien, Blade Runner, Terminator, The Matrix, Kang and Kodos (from the Simpsons). The list goes on. Indeed, in fiction it is often the non-humans who are the villains, no matter how "evil" they may or may not be (or how nice the humans who are facing off against them).

Except Ryuk isn't seen as a villain so much because all he was was an observer. He may have dropped the death note out of boredom, but it was never in his plan for Light specifically to find it. When Ryuk decided it was over at the end then it was over, and it was all Light's fault for using the Death Note in the first place. Ryuk took no active part in both criminal and non-criminal people being used and then wasted or killed off for being in the way of the 'Path of Righteousness', or in influencing a flawed human being who thinks of himself as a perfect god ruling the world populous in fear and darkness, especially with his threats of liquidating all future people for the most minor offenses--it was all Light. So in that regard, don't be surprised if many people easily interpret Light as the 'villain,' even though he's the main character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5