• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - End of Summer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
I'm a huge sports fan, baseball mainly, but I enjoy basketball and American Armoured Wankball, and always catch the World Cup, the Euros. I hate, hate, hate, sports anime. The problem is drama. The drama of sports is the potential of what could happen. In prescripted sports shows, the outcome is already determined, and so this drama, this whole reason for watching, is missing. Basically, what makes sports worth watching is that it is unscripted. And you can't make an unscripted anime. Sports anime isn't really about sports at all, it's all about melodrama and burning passion and homosexual subtext, which is fine in its own, but doesn't appeal to your average sports fans.

Well, I don't really care for sports that much (I'll check out the World Cup, Super Bowl, Olympics, & an occassional Stanley Cup final... but that's really it) but I always love watching sports anime. To be honest, the whole idea of "You know who's going to win already" doesn't bother me, but at the same time I tend to find the idea of "It's about how something is resolved, not just the resolution itself" (i.e. it's the journey, not the destination) to be more interesting in titles like these. For example, Akagi is a prequel to the manga Ten, where Akagi himself is an old man, so you already know that Akagi can't lose any of his matches in this prequel... But the show is so amazing because you just want to know how he wins his matches. I know that in Ring ni Kakero 1 the main characters will win their fights, but I don't know exactly how the entire fights play out; that's what I want to know.

It's the same thing in most sports anime, because the leads tend to have to win due to a tournament bracket. Therefore, the result itself tends to be less important while the actual match itself & what happens in it takes center stage. That's where the drama of sports comes in to me, not in the mystery of who's going to win in the end, but instead in the mystery of how everything plays out in sequence... But, like I said, I don't really care for sports that much in real life, so that's just how I see it.

But, also, I don't know which sports anime you have seen but not all of them have homosexual subtext... And, really, if that stuff does appear I tend to not really put any personal focus on it, since that stuff isn't put in for someone like me, so I don't let it get to me.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
I never got the Kokoro Connect thing. Like, at any point. Sure, it's not nice that they did a Candid Camera-esque thing where they psyched him out by making him think he'd be getting an anime-original role. But what's important is that after that the guy took the job that was offered to him. He had a choice and he made it. From then on, he was employed and had a paycheck, which is a lot more than he would have had if he had just been rejected at the audition. After he finally made a statement about how he didn't think there was any ill will intended toward him and that he really likes the people around him and doesn't want to see them hurt by this, then my initial conclusion was proven: it was just anonymous idiots in a mob being idiots.

It's pretty amazing how much power a mob of idiots can have. There were people even here on ANN linking to pastebin that had text without any sources at all. How hilarious is that? How can somebody think anything written down is credible in the least without legitimate sources to back them up. And yet so many fell for it the mob mentality of idiocy and it got bigger and bigger.

After the damage was done by literally waving their private parts at a woman who wasn't at all related to the event then it got a bit smaller. Then after Yukichi made his blog and statement I have seen nothing but awkward silence from that once unruly mob. I hope that this is a lesson to those who followed the mob, but my experience tells me that's probably not too likely and that some probably have crazy conspiracy theories of how the Kokoro Connect staff threatened Yukichi to make that blog absolving them of all blame.

But yes, I definitely don't like seeing a mob of idiots having that much sway, but unfortunately they do. Until people learn to wait for more information and be reasonable.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
The problem with doing a "Worst of the Decade" series is obscurity. Those shows, TV, Movie or OVA that were really bad probably just quietly disappeared. Most would be hard to find in Japan and likely did not get licensed here.

You could do a worst of liscensed anime, or a worst of heavily hyped anime but the bottom of the barrel is likely way down there.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
The problem with doing a "Worst of the Decade" series is obscurity. Those shows, TV, Movie or OVA that were really bad probably just quietly disappeared. Most would be hard to find in Japan and likely did not get licensed here.

You could do a worst of liscensed anime, or a worst of heavily hyped anime but the bottom of the barrel is likely way down there.

Exactly. To see the truly bad, you're gotta dig hard and look for extremely unknown titles. Great Dangaioh is awful, but I doubt anyone knows of it compared to Seed Destiny.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
How about...2009. Didn't like anything from fall of 09.

Eh, I can't say anything bad about a season that gave us A Certain Scientific Railgun, by far the better half of that franchise (just tsundere schoolgirls with superpowers, not weird-looking mystical nun lolis with amnesia).

Don't remember anything else that aired that season offhand, though I was already watching far less current anime in 2009 than I had been a year before.

As for Autumn 2008, I enjoyed Kannagi and Kemeko Deluxe, and autumn 2007 brought us the godly first season of Minami-ke, one of my favourite shows of the decade past, and I will also admit to enjoying Kodomo no Jikan.

I don't remember anything that aired in autumn 2006 or any autumn before offhand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people drop Humanity has Declined? I'm really surprised to hear that because it was the only new show of the season that I actually watched all the way through, and I plan on buying when it is released state side. Oh well I guess it's not everyone type of humor.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Justin called Sherlock a low budget show since I actually think it looks fantastic, but then again I was completely lost on all their talk about aspect ratios and computer specs so maybe I should hide behind the sofa.
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Yorozuya wrote:
I'm surprised Justin called Sherlock a low budget show since I actually think it looks fantastic, but then again I was completely lost on all their talk about aspect ratios and computer specs so maybe I should hide behind the sofa.

The budgets of most BBC shows are fairly low unless they have massive global appeal like Top Gear and Doctor Who. Even Doctor Who has a very low budget in comparison to a US TV show of its size, they scrap episode plots every year do to budget issues. Oddly my favorite BBC show is Copper which is not shown in the UK, is produced by BBC America and filmed in Canada.
ianiceboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:23 am Reply with quote
050795 wrote:
A lot of people drop Humanity has Declined? I'm really surprised to hear that because it was the only new show of the season that I actually watched all the way through, and I plan on buying when it is released state side. Oh well I guess it's not everyone type of humor.

I really enjoyed the first two episodes, and I would have liked it to have been consistent the whole way through. I wouldn't unwatch it, but I was generally disappointed.

Sword Art Online is pretty good (again, especially the first few episodes), and I've been enjoying Kokoro Connect. And Tari Tari hasn't been too bad. It remains to be seen which of them, if any, will stand the test of time.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:23 am Reply with quote
I'm probably a little late to the party for asking this, but I had wondered if they had taped this before the license announcement of The Rose of Versailles. When I saw they put this podcast out, I was hoping Justin or Zac were going to comment on it, but alas not. There's always next time.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised Justin lumped Sherlock in with Sci-fi and fantasy shows. Wink

I'm also surprised that he says he doesn't take Doctor Who seriously. Are you supposed to?

I'm still loving Sword Art Online and Humanity has Declined. Really, I expected to totally dump all summer shows by now.

I looked through the summer anime of the past, and I think they have the same good/bad ratio so far. Maybe somewhere in the early 2000s there'll be a real stinker.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
I'm surprised Justin lumped Sherlock in with Sci-fi and fantasy shows. Wink

I'm also surprised that he says he doesn't take Doctor Who seriously. Are you supposed to?

I'm still loving Sword Art Online and Humanity has Declined. Really, I expected to totally dump all summer shows by now.

I looked through the summer anime of the past, and I think they have the same good/bad ratio so far. Maybe somewhere in the early 2000s there'll be a real stinker.

I've always best been able to describe Doctor Who as "indecisively serious", meaning that in a way it's both serious and not at the same time, if that makes any sense. For me, that's where most of the show's charm comes from.
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Zak, have you even watched the Japanese Ring movie? It has a lot of goofy crap in it. I have ESP, let me tell you expositions though ESP. My ex-Wife didn't have ESP but now she does and learned something important that way! I really think the U.S. Ring movie works a lot better then the Japanese one. Now Ring 2 is a different story, talk about a franchise killer.

Also try sticking around for a few more episode of Azumanga if you can. I thought the first few were not that interesting when I watch the first time but I thought the series got better over time. It is one of my favorite shows to watch when I am depressed, it's like a warm blanket of silly.

Also the Lychee Light Club anime isn't adaptation. It is a series of comic shorts. Honestly, I'm even more confused by that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I think Doctor Who has its serious moments and episodes, but at it's core it's a show about a nerd with odd fashion sense riding around in what appears to be a police box.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm suprised Zac didn't mention the reaction people had to Mass Effect 3, when talking about how scary this kind of crowd thinking is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3