• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-06-12]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:
Cool. Simon Richmond's "A Rough Guide to Anime" is out. Gotta hit a store and pick it up.

I met Simon a few years ago, great guy, his "Rough Guide to Tokyo" is one of the best travel books on the city I've seen so I have good expataions for the anime book.

Hey Gilles! Good to see you alive and posting -- it's been a while!
Ashkah

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quote
panzer.time wrote:
Ashkah wrote:
sorry for the re-post. Anime hyper

Well, it seems now that you've deleted the original.

Well crap...
joystick1101

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I mean think about it, Naruto: Shippuuden is currently up to episode 112, okay? Lets say that your loyal amercan fanbase has only seen dubbed up to episode 98 of the original Naruto, yet here you are, simulcasting ep.112 of Shippuuden. You have just alienated your entire profitting demographic in one go. Why? Because they are watching this simulcasted episode going "What's going on? Who in the world are they? Why are those two fighting when they are supposed to be friends? Where did that move come from? And what do they MEAN such-in-such is DEAD?!" They have absolutely no clue what is going on. And it's not like they could go back and catch up, because ep.99 of the original thru ep.111 of Shippuuden is not legally available to them.

OK let me list whats makes this epic fail
1. EVERY Naruto episode is being streamed, EVERY!
2. Naruto wasn't even streamed until the dub was atleast waay into the filler-thon on TV, so anyone who hadn't seen since 98 probally lost interest.
Galaxydj

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:00 am Reply with quote
===========================================

hello there,

I got an awnser/opinion for your question.

I believe that an Anime opening should have Great music, a Great animation to it and a Good style.
When i see a opening that basicly makes my heart skip a beat or makes me all excited and willing to jump arround singing allong with it or makes me wanna cry for the drama in it, i will watch it even if the anime itself is only avaradge or just below avaradge (normaly i dont want to bother to much with those).

The opening basicly is the *promotion* for the anime itself.
If you start to watch an anime thinking *Wow, the plot realy sounds great and the images i found realy looked promissing* and it starts with an opening that would make *taking a dump* look and sound like the most beautiful thing in the world it realy doesnt help the actual anime one bit.
However if its (anything close) like i described above it would make people more excited about watching it and possibly even buying it when released.

So for me the music and animation and style are all three very important to the opening wich promotes the anime itself.

===========================================
loka

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I believe the combination of style and good music are needed for a good opener. I can't include animation, since I enjoy Gunslinger Girl Il Teatrino's opening theme, which has none.

Examples of what I consider to be good style would be the openings to Black Lagoon, FMP Fumoffu, and [naturally] Lucky Star.

An opening theme that had a particular impact on how I viewed the show was Druaga (1). I thought it was well executed.

Example of an opening with bad stye: Stellvia.

And then there are openings that are great for reasons that are difficult to explain. e.g. Moon Phase

NieA_7 is about the only instance where the music can be horrible but the result is still a decent opening.

I also agree that the music choice for Eden of the East ruined the opening.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I also agree that the music choice for Eden of the East ruined the opening.
I don't get it. How does it ruin the opening? Because it's not Japanese enough for you?

I mean, if you have some preexisting dislike for Oasis then that's a different issue (for the record, I had never heard of them until seeing this OP). But EotE's OP is very well done; there's no two ways about it. It is one of those rare OPs that warrants watching every episode because even though it doesn't change, every time you watch it with recent developments in mind, there's a good chance you might catch something new. Nevermind that the music fits the footage (timing wise) like a glove, the lyrics are somewhat relevant to the story (which is helluvalot more than can be said about some OP tunes), and the tune is catchy.
loka

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
as you noted, the Eden of the East opening is done very, very well... aside from music choice. yes, this me hating on Oasis. no, it is not because they are not Japanese.
omoikane

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I distinctly remember at an Otakon Q&A panel, when someone asked a GoH writer from Japan (and for the life of me I can't recall who...Tatsuo Sato maybe?) basically the same question as the one posed by the answerman column letter, the man answered that some shows have only one writer, while some shows have many. Depending on the project. Looking around at ANN's database would suggest as much. Some shows have over a dozen writers and some have only one and I don't know if there's a consensus of just "one or two." But I guess sometimes that's a limitation of data input and credit listed.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
as you noted, the Eden of the East opening is done very, very well... aside from music choice. yes, this me hating on Oasis. no, it is not because they are not Japanese.

Is there any chance you could explain, then, in what way the musical choice ruins the opening? Instead of, you know, just kind of being a troll about it.
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Personally, I think TV ads for anime is kind of a waste. As of right now, there is no "wider audience" for anime and manga. This has been proven time and again in recent years. Once I see proof otherwise, I might reconsider my statement.

I ran a panel at Anime Boston where I talked about this: basically, look at the figures: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime_boston

con attendance jumped 50% since 2005, while DVD sales are down a corresponding 50%

it's not that "the audience shrank", it's that the audience rapidly expanded in size....at the same time that internet downloading became easy for even the most technologically illiterate fangirl. Meanwhile, the anime companies are fighting digital downloading with strategies for physically stopping the shipment of VHS tapes.

They have no idea how to combat digital piracy; oh, some will always download; I'm talking about "the man on the street" who can easily find things off of YouTube or by entering basic keywords into google.

Their reaction was to say "the audience isn't there anymore"

quite the contrary, the audience is bigger than ever, they just don't know how to market to them.

Further, I once read this idiotic rant on AnimeNation in an "Ask John" column where he said that basically "fans got tired of Evangelion and all fan interest in it petered out by 2004".....which is simply insane, given that it didn't air on TV on Adult Swim until 2005.

Rather, I think the problem is that both fansites and anime companies consider "actual fans" to be those who were buying anime on the convention circuit as imported DVDs and fansubs in the late 90's/early naughties. Over 10 years, many of these older fans dropped out of anime, and they simply didn't WANT to market to the new "screaming fangirls and obsessed fanboys" who watched anime off of TV. The people in charge WANT it to remain a "niche market" because they simply did not have the vision to take it on to greater horizons.

Yes, the economy is bad now, post-2008 in particular, but this does not explain the discrepancy that national convention attendance jumped 50% in the same period that DVD sales plummet 50%.

The problem, was a failure in leadership, by both the anime companies and fansites.

Think about it: everything is online these days; even *Anime Insider* was canceled; ProtoCulture Addicts has been on hiatus, but they're still planning to bring that back as a *print* magazine....when if they had any sense, they'd post it online as advertisement supported columns.

Everyone "in charge" keeps acting like its perpetually 1999.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
Actually, I was under the impression that the fans want anime to remain a niche market. It also appears to me that the companies are listening but the "internet generation" isn't buying because they expect everything to be free. Plus, whenever the companies do put anime on the internet, everyone complains about how it isn't good enough.

Personally, I think anime companies should try harder to market to the mainstream and the older fans who will buy stuff. I can understand their hesitation about the mainstream but I think it would be worth it. And it could work if they went about it the right way. Anyway, that's what I would do if I was in charge.
Galaxydj

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:36 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Actually, I was under the impression that the fans want anime to remain a niche market. It also appears to me that the companies are listening but the "internet generation" isn't buying because they expect everything to be free. Plus, whenever the companies do put anime on the internet, everyone complains about how it isn't good enough.

Personally, I think anime companies should try harder to market to the mainstream and the older fans who will buy stuff. I can understand their hesitation about the mainstream but I think it would be worth it. And it could work if they went about it the right way. Anyway, that's what I would do if I was in charge.

I'm going to be honest with you, i also stream the anime often and 5/10 times i also am annoyed by the crap like quality.
However i dont realy have the right to say so... or do i?
I live in The Netherlands. Unfortuantly there is only one place in this country that has a wide selection of Anime on DVD, and it happend to be a city that i cant stand.
I think that the Anime Companies should take a different approach on all of this together. You probably know how long it actualy takes for an anime to be released on DVD's and i think they should speed that up in some way. Also i think that Anime needs to be more Globalized then it is right now.
Again im speaking about the netherlands right now, but the Anime Market here is crap. Most likely that counts for more country's.
If you ask me they should just release the DVD's about 1 or at most 2 months after the Airing date of some of the Anime episodes. That way more people may think "wel i may as wel wait a couple of days and buy it on dvd, better quality anyways" or "hm wow that anime would look great in higher quality, luckily it releases soon".
If its done like that people are still in the mood of the anime itself and the chances of people buying it are alot higher. Unlike when they already finished it and started on a other anime.

Again something about the Netherlands,
There are quite some people here that want to watch anime but hardly can. I realy want to see the market expanding itself here more. so far you can only find the more popular anime movies like "appleseed" or "vexille" and thats about it, unless you go to that one place i mentioned before. I would love to support the industry and buy the dvd's but there is hardly any to find here and the ones that you can find are often pretty old aswell or kinda expensive.. shame realy if you ask me. Right now all the people of the internet generation are targeted even though alot dont have a choice other then watch it online, and cant support the Anime Industry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3