• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Metrocon Posts Statement After Founder's Arrest

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Heh, wow. Didn't know there was so much drama going on behind this small little con. Glad it's not canceled and I still have my ticket for next weekend. I'm not at all worried about the sort of people at this con. It's always been friendly and never once have I not felt "safe". Laughing
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't want to prejudge the situation, but if someone really did make a false accusation of statutory rape solely for the purpose of attempting to mess up an anime convention, that person needs mental help and/or jail time.

It seems to me far more likely this situation has absolutely nothing to do with the con at all.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
probably is completely unrelated to the con, but what i wanna know is what a "certain minor" is compared to just any minor and why it makes a difference. I thought everyone was equal :\

Last edited by Kougeru on Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
If the allegations are true, the CEO of a con, riddled with preteens and teenagers, having a sexual relationship with a teenager is incredibly inappropriate on all sorts of levels.
Raoh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
If the allegations are true, the CEO of a con, riddled with preteens and teenagers, having a sexual relationship with a teenager is incredibly inappropriate on all sorts of levels.

Did you read the story?

There was never any mention of an ongoing relationship, at all.

They accused him of having sex with a minor, whom, according to the story, was either 16 or 17 at the time it happened.

I won't go into discussing how inappropriate this is, because thats not the point of my post.

My post is to point out that you do not have your facts straight. One of the things that causes further harm on stories like this is people that don't get their facts straight, and then tell other people about it. Misinformation is a cause of alot of the worlds problems.
slickwolfie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
probably is completely unrelated to the con, but what i wanna know is what a "certain minor" is compared to just any minor and why it makes a difference. I thought everyone was equal :\

I wonder why they said that as well. Maybe they mean that the "certain" minor was 16 or older, since there are probably different laws for different ages. How old is this guy?
Slick
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote
You need a "sexual consent" law like in Europe.
Proman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
If you can marry a 16 (17?) year old you shouldn't be arrested for having consensual sex with them. This is much ado about nothing.
scrapps

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
If you can marry a 16 (17?) year old you shouldn't be arrested for having consensual sex with them. This is much ado about nothing.

If my understanding is correct, the law takes this into account. The "certain minor" is someone above the age of consent, but below the age of majority, who the accused isn't married to.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a false accusation to me - why wait this length of time, and why the ambiguity of "3 or 4 years ago"? This does not add up right at all. Hopefully the Sheriff's department will take another look at everything and say "hey, this doesnt look right" and drop it all.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:
Tofusensei wrote:

Did you read the story?

There was never any mention of an ongoing relationship, at all.

Did I say ongoing relationship? A one-time sexual encounter is a sexual relationship.

Quote:
re⋅la⋅tion⋅ship
–noun
1. a connection, association, or involvement.
2. connection between persons by blood or marriage.
3. an emotional or other connection between people: the relationship between teachers and students.
4. a sexual involvement; affair.

The fact you got so offended at what I said is disturbing. :X
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
slickwolfie wrote:
How old is this guy?

Doing a Google search for 'Roy Harms age' I found this:
http://forums.animecons.com/showpost.php?post/4675/

Seems like someone pulled up his arrest information from the Manatee County Sheriff's Office website.

He is currently 40 years old, so that would have made him 36 or 37 when the incident happened.

After seeing his mugshot, I seriously wouldn't be surprised if the girl flirted with him, wanted as well as consented to sex. Not that her consenting would really matter since even if she did, it would still be highly illegal under the law he is being charged with ("A person 24 years of age or older who engages in sexual activity with a person 16 or 17 years of age commits a felony of the second degree"). If this actually happened, it's his fault for not resisting the temptation and saying no. After a few years went by, the girl obviously is regretting the impulsive actions of her youth, and now he very well may be hit with a second-degree felony charge.

In other words, a total nightmare for this guy. Many people in this world have dirty secrets from their past that they never expect to ever see the light of day again. People can be fickle beasts though, and change their mind on a whims notice... Without knowing what really happened, you can't really pass judgment on either of them. Yet no matter if you feel the girl is justified or not in binging on the case years later, by default, Roy Harms is kind of screwed and has an uphill battle ahead of him which he will likely lose.

Last edited by cyberbeing on Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Calculusman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
OK, Just cause anime girls are 16 or 17 doesn't mean you can play with them in real life...
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Why are people assuming he even knew the girl's age? Not that it would justify or invalidate any of the legal matters involved but it's entirely possible he thought the girl in question was of legal age.

Are people really supposed to look at IDs and run background checks before having sex? Confused

Don't get me wrong, I'm not singing the man's praises but I'm not condemning him either. From a strictly personal standpoint, I disagree heavily with the current state of the law when it comes to age of consent laws and statutory crimes. (Especially since they tend to punish men disproportionately to women who break the same laws.)

The code section cited in the article doesn't even mention consent so this whole thing may be over a consensual act, which really makes you wonder why 3 or 4 years later it's suddenly so important. How did the story come out too? Is the current case based on gossip, the girl herself coming forward or her family?

There are some interesting variables in play.
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's not my place to judge it, but waiting until 8 days before this convention happens to place these allegations seems kind of lame.

Either way, I think it sucks for the convention, because whether or not he actually did commit a crime, people will jump to conclusions and condemn the convention, as well as him, even though he did his best not to have the convention associated with the crimes he's being accused of.

Even though he's not a part of this year's Metrocon anymore, I have a feeling this will still affect attendance levels and general convention atmosphere...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4