• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rightstuf changes Free Shipping policy for Canadians.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Rukiia - you only get charged sales tax if you order directly from Amazon.ca itself. Or at least how that works for me. I just checked 8 orders I've placed in the last six months where I ordered from an Amazon.ca marketplace seller and not once was I ever charged sales tax. Only the $3.49 s&h fee.

Sorry, by marketplace I meant Amazon.ca seller. Embarassed But regardless, seems you can only pre-order stuff from them and they do charge taxes.

Jon182 wrote:
If you're talking about buying in bulk, at the $250 threshold, I'm going to wait...or maybe just stream anime.

That is exactly what I was talking about. And I have had times where I bought single sets from Rightstuf and Canada Post didn't charge me taxes. They mostly get you for bigger orders and occasionally small ones from what I have seen/experienced.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firehawk12

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm extremely late to this, but I just noticed the bump to 250 today. I already thought 150 was pushing it, but jeez...
Timesplitter 01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
firehawk12 wrote:
I know I'm extremely late to this, but I just noticed the bump to 250 today. I already thought 150 was pushing it, but jeez...

Hey at least you guys get free shipping Razz

Everyone outside the USA and Canada has to pay for shipping regardsless of the spend.

I was bored over the weekend and added up the amount of money I spent on shipping this year. I have spent around about US$450 on shipping this year Confused
firehawk12

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Hah, that's fair. It's just something that I've taken for granted for the last couple of years, so seeing this big jump was a bit shocking.

I think the worst part is that it becomes pretty much impossible to take advantage of any of the weekly sales unless you are willing to spend 250 on a single publisher's offerings.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
By the way, does any Canadian happen to know this ... if you order from TRSI and you DON'T get free shipping, do you get charged a handling fee on top of the shipping fee, or is that handling fee only for packages that have free shipping? I've never not gotten free shipping from TRSI in the past, so I don't know from personal experience.
firehawk12

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
By the way, does any Canadian happen to know this ... if you order from TRSI and you DON'T get free shipping, do you get charged a handling fee on top of the shipping fee, or is that handling fee only for packages that have free shipping? I've never not gotten free shipping from TRSI in the past, so I don't know from personal experience.

It's usually by the declared value of the package and just random luck. The lower the declared value, the less likely it'll get picked out to be taxed (or worse, opened).

Like, when I order from ebay, all my packages are correctly declared, but I haven't had a packaged from ebay taxed in ages. Same with smaller Asian orders from Play Asia or AmiAmi.
manicli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
firehawk12 wrote:
Hah, that's fair. It's just something that I've taken for granted for the last couple of years, so seeing this big jump was a bit shocking.

I think the worst part is that it becomes pretty much impossible to take advantage of any of the weekly sales unless you are willing to spend 250 on a single publisher's offerings.

Unless you're willing to wait and let your backlog accumulate until you have $250 then get it when it's on sale.

I'm going to start doing that since I've noticed funi's recent releases are DVD only. Once you go HD you can't go back Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
firehawk12 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

It's usually by the declared value of the package and just random luck. The lower the declared value, the less likely it'll get picked out to be taxed (or worse, opened).

Okay, but I'm not talking about the sales tax here. What I'm talking about is the (now) $9.95 handling fee that all free shipping packages to Canada from TRSI are supposed to be given. What I'm asking is if there is any Canadian here who has had to pay for shipping from TRSI (because of being under the free shipping limit) AND also been assessed the handling fee on that same package.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
firehawk12 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Okay, but I'm not talking about the sales tax here. What I'm talking about is the (now) $9.95 handling fee that all free shipping packages to Canada from TRSI are supposed to be given. What I'm asking is if there is any Canadian here who has had to pay for shipping from TRSI (because of being under the free shipping limit) AND also been assessed the handling fee on that same package.

I can't speak from experience since I've never payed for shipping at TRSI, but my guess is you have better odds to escape both fees and taxes if you order, say, 100$ of stuff or less BUT you it would be within CBSA's rights to inspect and charge on top of that if you're importing for 20$ CDN or more

I might be wrong, but that's my understanding after reading the content of this page.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I wonder. See, I'm pretty sure when I ordered stuff from DeepDiscount last year, I got charged the handling fee PLUS their shipping fee PLUS the applicable sales taxes. I suspect the same is probably true of TRSI, but I'd love to know for sure.
Jon182

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I've always been charged the Canada Post handling fee, UNLESS I spent $20 or less. Maybe I've just been unlucky, but that's been the case without fail, for me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, thanks Jon182.
firehawk12

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
firehawk12 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Well, it's sales tax collected by the government instead of by the retailer. They charge the handling fee so that they can charge you the GST/HST. lol

I think under 20 is fine and under 100 should be okay... since the daily limit for border crossings is 100 iirc (could be higher).

But yes, every time I have ordered from TSRI, I have had to pay the handling fee. That's what I meant by paying taxes, unless I'm mistaken, you'll never get charged one without the other.

I had no idea they upped it to 10 bucks recently though. But go figure.

manicli wrote:
firehawk12 wrote:

Unless you're willing to wait and let your backlog accumulate until you have $250 then get it when it's on sale.

I'm going to start doing that since I've noticed funi's recent releases are DVD only. Once you go HD you can't go back Smile

Even if I wait until the next publisher sale, it's still very unlikely I'd have that much from one publisher. Maybe if I hold off for two years.

But yeah, a lot of the Japanese companies aren't letting licensors do HD now, so it's almost moot for some shows.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:19 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Hmm, I wonder. See, I'm pretty sure when I ordered stuff from DeepDiscount last year, I got charged the handling fee PLUS their shipping fee PLUS the applicable sales taxes. I suspect the same is probably true of TRSI, but I'd love to know for sure.
I work for a place that ships to Canada and I can tell you for certain our shipping fee doesn't cover any tariffs, sales tax or handling fees. I don't even know if it's possible for an exporter to cover those for you.
manicli

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote
firehawk12 wrote:
Even if I wait until the next publisher sale, it's still very unlikely I'd have that much from one publisher. Maybe if I hold off for two years.

But yeah, a lot of the Japanese companies aren't letting licensors do HD now, so it's almost moot for some shows.

Well I guess it depends on how much you buy. I'm going to make an order ever 2 months instead of every month so it's not that big of a deal to me but to some who don't buy a lot I guess that's a huge increase.

I honestly hate Japanese companies that don't let us release things in BD, RightStuf could easily just limit the shipping countries which would mean most Japanese who couldn't speak English would be screwed in even trying to import it another way.

Maybe if the market grows, they'll see it as a good investment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10