• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rightstuf changes Free Shipping policy for Canadians.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote
I don't think that the extra shipping fees for a reshipper would significantly reduce the savings of an R1 set compared to a JP one; thus we see a lack of export restrictions on most items because it probably doesn't really matter and the only sales it would stop wouldn't've bought the pricier native release. Aniplex USA's releases have a much smaller discount, so the reshipment costs are more likely to dissuade a fan from importing over buying native.
firehawk12

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:03 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Hmm, I wonder. See, I'm pretty sure when I ordered stuff from DeepDiscount last year, I got charged the handling fee PLUS their shipping fee PLUS the applicable sales taxes. I suspect the same is probably true of TRSI, but I'd love to know for sure.
I work for a place that ships to Canada and I can tell you for certain our shipping fee doesn't cover any tariffs, sales tax or handling fees. I don't even know if it's possible for an exporter to cover those for you.

Amazon.com does for Canadians at least. What they do is charge shipping and collect brokerage fees on your behalf, so if it is held up at customs, they deal with the government and you just get the package normally. They're the only ones I know that do that though.

manicli wrote:
firehawk12 wrote:
Even if I wait until the next publisher sale, it's still very unlikely I'd have that much from one publisher. Maybe if I hold off for two years.

But yeah, a lot of the Japanese companies aren't letting licensors do HD now, so it's almost moot for some shows.

Well I guess it depends on how much you buy. I'm going to make an order ever 2 months instead of every month so it's not that big of a deal to me but to some who don't buy a lot I guess that's a huge increase.

I honestly hate Japanese companies that don't let us release things in BD, RightStuf could easily just limit the shipping countries which would mean most Japanese who couldn't speak English would be screwed in even trying to import it another way.

Maybe if the market grows, they'll see it as a good investment.

The big reason why Rightstuf was worth it was because of the discounts. It becomes a bit tighter when you're buying sets at regular prices 250 dollars a time. Still cheaper than Amazon.ca, but at that point, you could go to Amazon.com and buy other stuff as well.

I dunno, I know they have to make money so I understand... but it makes me wonder if I'll buy much anime in the near future any more.

And you know, some Aniplex sets aren't allowed to be shipped outside of North America, so there is that limitation already. But I figure they just want to make it even harder. So you have the "crippled" Persona 4 set that only has the English dub if you buy the BD version... if you get BD versions at all. It's all pretty stupid, but they have to maintain their crazy business model.
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:27 pm Reply with quote
via TRSI
Quote:
Right Stuf Implements Canadian Shipping Changes Starting 1/21/2013
Posted on: Monday, January 14, 2013

In order to better serve our customers to the north, we are implementing changes to our current Canadian shipping policy that will go into effect with all new orders starting at noon on January 21, 2013. Starting on this date, we will pre-collect all taxes, duties, customs, and processing fees prior to shipment as part of your order total. Your invoice will show these as "Canada Surcharge." This saves all our Canadian friends the hassle of having funds on hand to pay these at delivery, as well as the inconvenient $9.95 fee that Canada Post was charging to collect them. We will be partnering with FedEx for deliveries, which we hope will also considerably shorten delivery times. No customs, duties, taxes, or other fees will be due upon delivery - everything will be prepaid as part of this surcharge - and tracking will be sent to you by FedEx via email when the product leaves our warehouse. The current posted shipping rates and free shipping minimums will remain unchanged.

Any orders currently in the system or placed before noon on January 21 will still ship using our previous Canadian shipping practices, regardless of item release dates. To change an existing order to have these fees pre-collected, customers will need to either contact customer care to modify their order, or cancel the existing order and reorder items after January 21. Please note that modifying or completely cancelling an order may affect your position in line for items with limited quantities.

If you have any questions, concerns, or would like assistance with an order, please don't hesitate to contact our customer care team.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Interesting changes. Can't wait to see if the 9.95$ is in fact eliminated in the process, or if it'll be replaced by Fedex's own handling fee.
One thing seems sure though, it sounds like partial shipping to Canadians will be less of a hassle for the customer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting, indeed. I actually talked about this change with Shawne on the phone a while back when it was still something he was considering. I gave it my enthusiastic endorsement. Potentially shorter shipping times and no C.O.D.? Sign me up.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Interesting changes. Can't wait to see if the 9.95$ is in fact eliminated in the process, or if it'll be replaced by Fedex's own handling fee.
One thing seems sure though, it sounds like partial shipping to Canadians will be less of a hassle for the customer.

There will be no handling fee from Fedex. The package will be delivered to you with no fees due whatsoever.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:35 pm Reply with quote
@ Shawnek - will there be a $9.95 handling fee collected by TRSI as part of the Canada Surcharge? When we discussed this on the phone, it sounded like this change was going to be revenue neutral (i.e. not cost any more or any less than the old arrangement). Is that true, or are we Canucks going to be saving $9.95 per package (assuming we qualify for free shipping)?

And if we amend an order by removing an item, will our CCs be refunded whatever amount of the Surcharge that item represented?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:
fireaxe wrote:

There will be no handling fee from Fedex. The package will be delivered to you with no fees due whatsoever.

So what will we pay? I get that we won't pay anything upon delivery but what exactly are you charging ahead of time? Can you give us a breakdown of how that number will be calculated?
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Shawnek - will there be a $9.95 handling fee collected by TRSI as part of the Canada Surcharge? When we discussed this on the phone, it sounded like this change was going to be revenue neutral (i.e. not cost any more or any less than the old arrangement). Is that true, or are we Canucks going to be saving $9.95 per package (assuming we qualify for free shipping)?

And if we amend an order by removing an item, will our CCs be refunded whatever amount of the Surcharge that item represented?

Should be revenue neutral to you. Should save your $9.95 fee. Will not be charged until a shipment processes, so there should be no need for refunds.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Should be revenue neutral to you. Should save your $9.95 fee. Will not be charged until a shipment processes, so there should be no need for refunds.

Sounds pretty awesome to me. Thanks for working this out for use Shawne!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ssandulak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Sounds pretty nice. Just so I understand, we'll be charged ahead of time for the customs fee correct? It's not getting waved like the Fedex 9.95? The original statement is a bit ambiguous in this sense. Like ikillchicken I'd love a breakdown of exactly how it's going to work.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
This is sounding even better than I first realized. Right now, we Canadians are charged whatever sales tax amount applies in our respective provinces plus a $9.95 handling fee. Assuming nothing changes under this new arrangement, we pay our sales tax to TRSI, but right now, it sounds like we duck that old $9.95 handling fee.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
If I read this properly, in addition to the cost to TRSI to ship the item to Canada, the Canadian post office charged $9.95 to deliver it. Fed Ex operates in both countries so the entire Fed Ex fee is paid by TRSI up front.

This new policy means they have to be current on your custom dues and sales tax for every Canadian State. However it appears they may soon be required to figure and collect sales tax for all the different localities in the US so this may be a trial run for that disaster.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
@ Alan45 - actually, what Canada Post charged $9.95 for was to helpfully collect the sales tax from us and give it to the gumnimint. Now TRSI will be performing that delightful service.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
@ Blood-

OK, but the principal remains the same. From some of your prior comments, I bet the post office would have tried to double collect the sales tax and the $9.95 fee if they were still involved.

The US post office (and any other branches of the Federal Government) does not in any way concern its self with state taxes. Technically if you buy anything out of state, or buy from an online service such as TRSI, here in Virginia you are honor bound to declare these purchases when you file your state income tax return. You can imagine how well that works. The only exception is cars or other vehicles which need a state license. In order to get the license, you have to prove the other state collected that much sales tax or prove how much you paid and pay the necessary sales tax.

Our governer's current budget is based on the assumption that congress will pass (and the president sign) a law requiring all online stores to collect sales tax in all states. Currently they only have to do so if they have a physical presence (store, shipping center etc.) in the state. If in fact that does pass, or even gets significent congressional consideration you will see a firestorm in a couple of threads here.

This would be a terrific burden on small operations. We have 50 different states and all but a couple have sales tax, I've been informed that in some states individual cities have additional sales tax on top of what the state charges. Keeping up with this will be a nightmare. And then there is Ebay. Charging sales tax there will be a real mares nest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10