• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Umineko no Naku Koro ni Anime's Promo Video Streamed [2009-06-15]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anath_19

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Here's a random question, and someone can PM me with an answer, but how do you guys play these games? Are you all fluent in Japanese? Are there fan-made translated versions easily available? Because heaven knows there are a number of VN games like Higurashi and Tsukihime that I'd like to play but can't because of which side of the Pacific I live on...

There are quite a few visual novels that have been fan-translated, and the list of titles keeps growing (although the list is still pretty small). All four episodes of Umineko released so far have been fan translated by the Witch Hunt, and have Ryukishi07's acknowledgement/approval. And funny enough, the ones you mentioned have fan translations, too! Mirror-Moon translated Tsukihime (and there's even a non-ero option for the translation patch), and the Sonozaki Futago-tachi are working on Higurashi, although there's only a full release of Onikakushi at the moment. On a side note, the Higurashi project has Ryukishi07's acknowledgement/approval as well.

For a more complete list of translation projects for visual novels, check out Shii's list.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Anath_19 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Here's a random question, and someone can PM me with an answer, but how do you guys play these games? Are you all fluent in Japanese? Are there fan-made translated versions easily available? Because heaven knows there are a number of VN games like Higurashi and Tsukihime that I'd like to play but can't because of which side of the Pacific I live on...

There are quite a few visual novels that have been fan-translated, and the list of titles keeps growing (although the list is still pretty small). All four episodes of Umineko released so far have been fan translated by the Witch Hunt, and have Ryukishi07's acknowledgement/approval. And funny enough, the ones you mentioned have fan translations, too! Mirror-Moon translated Tsukihime (and there's even a non-ero option for the translation patch), and the Sonozaki Futago-tachi are working on Higurashi, although there's only a full release of Onikakushi at the moment. On a side note, the Higurashi project has Ryukishi07's acknowledgement/approval as well.

For a more complete list of translation projects for visual novels, check out Shii's list.

Thank you so much! Most of these titles are never going to see the light of day in America thanks to less interest in the genre...
ani12

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
A preview, finally ^^ Looks pretty good, too, though Kinzo(the old guy who threw the ring for those who don't know) sure looks REALLY old up close Anime hyper

Also, its "When Seagulls Cry", not "When They Cry-Seagulls". That just sounds...odd.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
ani12 wrote:
A preview, finally ^^ Looks pretty good, too, though Kinzo(the old guy who threw the ring for those who don't know) sure looks REALLY old up close Anime hyper

Also, its "When Seagulls Cry", not "When They Cry-Seagulls". That just sounds...odd.

It's an extrapolation from Geneon's choice of translating "Higurashi no Naku koro ni" as "When they Cry: Higurashi" rather than "When the Cicadas Cry." Yes, I know, higurashi are a specific kind of cicada, but they're still cicadas! My only guess as to why Geneon resorted to the translation they did was because they knew enough fans recognized the word "higurashi" and thus decided it needed to be in the title somewhere.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
ani12 wrote:

Even if they brought it statesde, they already have it handled.

The series is know as When They Cry here in the states, followed by (hopefully) When They Cry Answers or something of the like.

The Kai on the end, IIRC what someone told me, stood for answers, which made up most of Kai, the answer arcs, as well as original answer arcs just for the anime.

I expect then if Umineko gets picked up for an english release, it'll probably be titled When They Cry- Umineko, much like the Higurashi title, When They Cry- Higurashi.

No need for fear of oddity. Though, it is confusing.

@Evelas: I imagined it would, but I've yet to read any of the others as I lack the proper supplies to read them... I have no desire to deprive 07th Expansion of the money they deserve, so I'm hoping to snag physical copies at some point... Crossing my fingers that Otakon may have some dealer who caters in visual novel imports, otherwise I'ma have to order them myself.

But you mention the spoiler[red and blue text, is there something I missed in chapter 1? I thought everything was pretty straight forward and I've read my fair share of spoilers, especially concerning some of the tea parties and the truth behind what Higurashi 'really' was which absolutely blew my mind, but do I pretty much 'need' to read the other novels to understand what is going on?

I mean, assuming you've read the novels and/or summaries, could you direct me somewhere? I know it's kind of impatience on my part but I've just gotten too few tidbits from Wikipedia that it's left me confused, like the stuff concerning Angie-Beatrice, The Siesta's, The stakes of purgatory, the meta world, I've read so much and know very little, I'd really prefer not to go into this as confused as I was in Higurashi, which I came to understand after finally doing enough research...]

Just reply in a PM if you don't mind, no need to fill up the thread here with our back and forth, plus I figure I don't wanna spoil anything else for the other potential viewers.

@vashfanatic: You know it is kind of a bummer when I think about how I'd love to give various visual novel companies a hefty bit of cash for purchasing their games, but without the translations, it's such a waste...

I really wish these companies would look into inexpensive solutions to allow american consumers to purchase these titles. I tell you, if I had a way to get a complete english translation for Air, I'd buy one of each available versions for the PC. Original and 10th Anniversary copies. Anime hyper

*sigh* Such an untapped market waiting to be cashed in.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:53 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:

@vashfanatic: You know it is kind of a bummer when I think about how I'd love to give various visual novel companies a hefty bit of cash for purchasing their games, but without the translations, it's such a waste...

I really wish these companies would look into inexpensive solutions to allow american consumers to purchase these titles. I tell you, if I had a way to get a complete english translation for Air, I'd buy one of each available versions for the PC. Original and 10th Anniversary copies. Anime hyper

*sigh* Such an untapped market waiting to be cashed in.

hmm.. can't you just buy their games and apply the patch? (and considering how the patches have the makers' blessings)

In any case though, I would like doujin games to remain as doujin games. If by tapping this untapped market means bringing corporate publishers, I think that will basically ruin this niche industry which doesn't have the volume to sustain it like more mainstream games, especially internationally. When you buy doujin products or any self-published works, all of your money goes straight to the creators, who also retain the full rights. In addition, the products (games, music, VNs) are usually sold at a lower price.

The current local solution is basically an importing service like http://jlist.com . Of course, you'd still be doing the same thing (buy and patch). To have them officially sell an english translated version would mean a larger operation, employing the same people who are currently doing it for free, plus extra QA work. Easier for print doujinshi than games. It would be great if such solutions do work out though.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
hmm.. can't you just buy their games and apply the patch? (and considering how the patches have the makers' blessings)

For those that are actually translated, yes, but I'm sure you're aware of the vast, VAST amount that go completely unnoticed--whether due to popularity or simply so much time spent translating another title.

I can think of a ton I'd love to buy, but there's no translations...Fate/Hollow Ataraxia, Polyphonica, ef, most Key works (which I'm amazed -aren't- translated in full, but w/e)...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Temuthril

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

I can think of a ton I'd love to buy, but there's no translations...Fate/Hollow Ataraxia, Polyphonica, ef, most Key works (which I'm amazed -aren't- translated in full, but w/e)...

First part of first ef vn has been translated, F/HA has a translation project going on, and from Keys stuff, Clannad is translated, and Little Busters and Kanon have translation projects going on. Don't know about the status of Air.

I guess it's just a matter of time.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I have ef, but I'd like all of it. Anime hyper

I can't seem to find any concrete information on F/H A at all, despite hearing about a project. Everything I can track down just seems to be hearsay on a random forum.

As for the others...I'm all for translation projects, but I guess I'd just like to be sure progress is being -made- on anything. Anyone can say they have a project going that doesn't actually get anything done. xD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to it! Battler looks a bit more bishonen than I remember, but ah well, not important.
robtf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
ani12 wrote:

It's an extrapolation from Geneon's choice of translating "Higurashi no Naku koro ni" as "When they Cry: Higurashi" rather than "When the Cicadas Cry." Yes, I know, higurashi are a specific kind of cicada, but they're still cicadas! My only guess as to why Geneon resorted to the translation they did was because they knew enough fans recognized the word "higurashi" and thus decided it needed to be in the title somewhere.

No. The name of the full game series in Japan is "When They Cry"... in English.

Heck, the titles on the game boxes in Japan are subtitled with "Welcome to Hinamizawa. When they Cry - Higurashi no Naku Koro ni" in plain English (for Umineko it was changed to "Welcome to Rokkenjima When they Cry 3 - Umineko no Naku Koro ni").

For proof of the fact that the series is called "When they Cry" in Japan, go here.

Quote:
アニメ・コミック・ノベル・実写映画・コンシューマゲーム…今や絶大な支持を受け、幅広いメディア展開にまで拡大した07th Expansion・竜騎士07先生原作の「ひぐらしのなく頃に」。その前作「ひぐらし」に続く“WHEN THEY CRY”シリーズの完全新作が満を持して登場! 前作を凌ぐ圧倒的な推理劇は、原作者の竜騎士07先生曰く“「ひぐらし」は卑怯でしたが、「うみねこ」はもっと卑怯です”とのこと。正解率1%と銘打った前作以上に練り込まれたストーリーがユーザーの考察欲求を掻き立てる。推理は可能か不可能か、新たな謎に挑め!!
4nBlue

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:20 am Reply with quote
Temuthril wrote:
Don't know about the status of Air.
Air translation status:
* Scripts currently at 39.31%, 19,497 out of 49,603 lines.
* Images currently at 50%, 59 out of 118 images

The current situation was pure fantasy few years ago when everyone treated fantranslation of a visual novel as an impossible job. And with AGTH (Anime Games Text Hooker) even people with limited understanding of Japanese language can play untranslated games. Current situation for visual novel fans is heaven compared to what it used to be.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh so this is finally happening? I'm late but not too late which is funny. So looking forward to this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2