• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Grave of the Fireflies Blu-ray to feature new English dub.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
Picture of back cover.

Notice under "Special Features."

The Good News: The new dub will be in DTS-HD Master Audio. The original CPM dub will also be included.

The Bad News: The new dub is directed by.... Steven Foster. Shocked

This has the words "possible disaster" written all over it.

[EDIT: Turned your pic into a link so as not to take up as much screen space. -TK]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Geeze....what is up with people in the entertainment world!? >_>

"If it's not broken, don't fix it."

I mean, really. (yes, I'm referring to remakes of movies too)
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Foster's track record with serious anime is actually pretty good. It'll be fine.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Foster's track record with serious anime is actually pretty good. It'll be fine.

The Clannad and Angel Beats dubs beg to differ.

But to be fair, he also did the Gilgamesh and Le Chevalier D'Eon dubs, and those were good.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, the previous English dub wasn't that great. Why not?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GDFan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
The Clannad and Angel Beats dubs beg to differ.

I like the Angel Beats! dub, and the only thing I thought was wrong with Clannad was Greg Ayres' Sunohara. I haven't been able to listen to him in anything since Clannad. Him being cast as Seita would be the only reason I wouldn't double-dip for this new dub.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm slightly worried about this...Sentai, don't you have any other directors to call upon? Please? But come on...Even he can't be insensitive enough to mess this one up...I mean he can't! ...Right?

But hey, the Chevalier dub was decent, and I have to believe that even Foster isn't dumb enough to give a gag dub to GotF, so I'll try to remain optimistic! Try... In any case, I'm used to watching this movie in Japanese, so I'll be fine if the new dub isn't great. But I really wish Sentai would find some new ADR directors.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Why the Steven Foster hate? I loved the No.6 dub, nothign was wrong with it and they even got a lesser known VA for Rat, which was refreshing.

If you hate him for Clannad's dub, Greg has said that was dubbed back in 2008, but they didn't put it about because it around when ADV was shutting down.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:

I'll never forgive him for what he did to Guin Saga.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Why the Steven Foster hate? I loved the No.6 dub, nothign was wrong with it and they even got a lesser known VA for Rat, which was refreshing.

If you hate him for Clannad's dub, Greg has said that was dubbed back in 2008, but they didn't put it about because it around when ADV was shutting down.

He just has a weird tendency, especially of late, to turn nearly every show he gets his hands on into a parody. In particular I was thinking of Guin Saga, Angel Beats!, High School of the Dead, and to a slightly lesser extent, The World God Only Knows. Inserting random Sarah Palin jokes into a dub gives the impression that he doesn't have any respect for any of the shows he works on, so when he gets handed a project like GotF that requires the utmost respect to pull off without coming across as very insensitive, it's a little worrying. He is capable of pulling off a decent dub (though I haven't ever seen a truly great dub from him)--I liked what I saw of No. 6, and as I said Chevalier's dub was pretty solid--but you just never know which Foster you're going to get.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I found the English dub that CPM gave Grave of the Fireflies to be mediocre, which isn't enough for a film like this. I'm actually pretty curious to hear what this new one sounds like.

Having Stephen Foster be the director makes me a little worried, but I recognize a Good Stephen and a Bad Stephen, or perhaps it's 'gives a shit' versus 'doesn't give a shit'. Whatever the cause, he has done good work, but he's marred his record conspicuously too. Sometimes he just doesn't seem to try or care about what he's doing. I often wonder why Sentai Filmworks gives him so much work when he seems to be genuinely, as opposed to rhetorically, unprofessional. They can't be unaware of his reputation and there's surely good replacement talent available.

I think we can trust that Sentai Filmworks wouldn't be stupid enough to let a Blu-ray release of Grave of the Fireflies feature an egregious English dub. That doesn't mean that it must be a good one, only that it shouldn't be wantonly disrespectful of the source material.

Although, to tell the truth, there's an evil bastard in me that would love to see what would happen if Foster were to indulge his worst habits and passions. Who wouldn't want a Grave of the Fireflies where Seita's aunt admonishes him to, "stop being such a f**king faggot?"*

*Rhetorical question. RHETORICAL QUESTION!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Having Stephen Foster be the director makes me a little worried, but I recognize a Good Stephen and a Bad Stephen, or perhaps it's 'gives a shit' versus 'doesn't give a shit'. Whatever the cause, he has done good work, but he's marred his record conspicuously too. Sometimes he just doesn't seem to try or care about what he's doing. I often wonder why Sentai Filmworks gives him so much work when he seems to be genuinely, as opposed to rhetorically, unprofessional. They can't be unaware of his reputation and there's surely good replacement talent available.

Maybe he works for relatively cheap? That's the only reason I can think of why they seem to be so intent on using him for everything. It's really a shame; I can't honestly look forward to any Sentai dubs anymore because there's such a strong chance of ending up with "Bad Stephen". Confused
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
He just has a weird tendency, especially of late, to turn nearly every show he gets his hands on into a parody. In particular I was thinking of Guin Saga, Angel Beats!, High School of the Dead, and to a slightly lesser extent, The World God Only Knows. Inserting random Sarah Palin jokes into a dub gives the impression that he doesn't have any respect for any of the shows he works on, so when he gets handed a project like GotF that requires the utmost respect to pull off without coming across as very insensitive, it's a little worrying. He is capable of pulling off a decent dub (though I haven't ever seen a truly great dub from him)--I liked what I saw of No. 6, and as I said Chevalier's dub was pretty solid--but you just never know which Foster you're going to get.

But I've seen a few episodes of Guin Saga, that wasn't a parody. and honestly, I've seen World Only God Knows, that show isn't meant to be taken seriously in the first place, it's meant to be funny, I see nothing with that. Angel Beats was also fine, and as much as I hated High School of the Dead, the dub was fine.

Could just be me from someone that never watches the Japanese track, the English is the original to me when duel-audio releases hit the market. but I can still tell when they try to make a gag-dub and not. I also know he directed Saiyuki and I do love how that was dubbed.

rheiders wrote:
Maybe he works for relatively cheap? That's the only reason I can think of why they seem to be so intent on using him for everything. It's really a shame; I can't honestly look forward to any Sentai dubs anymore because there's such a strong chance of ending up with "Bad Stephen". Confused

It's a non-union studio, of course he's working for cheap. the VAs for Funi and Sentai get $40 a recording hour (maybe half hour, not sure)
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Wait didn't he do the script as well as being director for Loups-Garous? You know where they got the gender of one of the characters wrong.

Hmmm...I really would like to see a better dub than the original, but do I want to double-dip for it? I guess I'll wait to see what some reviews say about the new dub.
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

But I've seen a few episodes of Guin Saga, that wasn't a parody.
It's about half-way through, IIRC, that Foster seems to stop caring about poor Guin Saga. This video contains most of the worst moments.

Steven Foster directing this dub really worries me. I thought he did a great job with Le Chevalier d'Eon, but didn't like his "interpretation" of Voices of a Distant Star and some others. I guess we'll see.....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4