• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Grave of the Fireflies Blu-ray to feature new English dub.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:

But I've seen a few episodes of Guin Saga, that wasn't a parody.
It's about half-way through, IIRC, that Foster seems to stop caring about poor Guin Saga. This video contains most of the worst moments.

Steven Foster directing this dub really worries me. I thought he did a great job with Le Chevalier d'Eon, but didn't like his "interpretation" of Voices of a Distant Star and some others. I guess we'll see.....

As I cna't watch the video, so I wouldn't know, but someone told me the only rough stop was when they were singing. Honestly, Guin Saga's anime, it's covering a lot of ground in so few episodes, seeing as the series is 130 volumes and never finished because the writer passed away before she could finish it. There are far worse dubs out there...like PMMM's dub, that's one is bad for a 2012 dub, the English voices sound so dull.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote
he is also directing Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere and i fear it is going to be a complete disaster
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
As I cna't watch the video, so I wouldn't know, but someone told me the only rough stop was when they were singing.

Oh hell no, there were plenty of other scenes that got screwed up besides that one.

I don't know why you can't watch the video but when you are able to, watch it. Some parts are just weak, other parts are f*cking atrocious.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:46 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

But I've seen a few episodes of Guin Saga, that wasn't a parody. and honestly, I've seen World Only God Knows, that show isn't meant to be taken seriously in the first place, it's meant to be funny, I see nothing with that. Angel Beats was also fine, and as much as I hated High School of the Dead, the dub was fine.

Problem is that he doesnt seem to have respect for the source material at all. You could be loose and maybe even funny with a dub, especially if it is a comedy, but show that you have some respect for the source material. Even if its a bad show, show that you're at least trying

I REALLY hope Sentai can find better directors, or whip the guy into shape. I always feel a sense of worry when I hear a show I like has been picked up by sentai, cause there is a huge chance Foster will do the dubbing. I mean, c'mon Sentai, ya guys used to be ADV! Ya weren't perfect but ya had a lot of good dubs under your belt! So whats up?

And I dont wanna hate Sentai, or anything, I want to keep supporting them. But they gotta get their shit together when it comes to their dubbing
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Honestly, Guin Saga's anime, it's covering a lot of ground in so few episodes, seeing as the series is 130 volumes and never finished because the writer passed away before she could finish it. There are far worse dubs out there...like PMMM's dub, that's one is bad for a 2012 dub, the English voices sound so dull.

Trust me honey, once you get a chance to watch that video that got posted, you'll come to the indistinguishable realization that the second half of Guin Saga makes the Madoka dub sound like freakin' Bebop. Confused

It really is THAT. BAD.

Anyways, you really gotta wonder why Sentai is so giddy for Foster all the time. They've used other directors before like Matt Greenfield and Chris Ayres, and they've both produced solid dubs for the series they worked on.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:
As I cna't watch the video, so I wouldn't know, but someone told me the only rough stop was when they were singing.

Oh hell no, there were plenty of other scenes that got screwed up besides that one.

I don't know why you can't watch the video but when you are able to, watch it. Some parts are just weak, other parts are f*cking atrocious.

I can't watch it because I have dial-up...simple as that.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

Well that's very sad. Don't you have any friends with broadband?

Since you can't watch the video you'll just have to take our word for it; the dub in the second half of Guin Saga is absolutely atrocious.
SecretJustin1130

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Sentai redubbing Grave of the Fireflies with Steven Foster directing!?

Didn't see that coming....
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:

Well that's very sad. Don't you have any friends with broadband?

Since you can't watch the video you'll just have to take our word for it; the dub in the second half of Guin Saga is absolutely atrocious.

What's sad is that...the cable is right up the road and Comcast or whoever the hell set it up won't bring it down, and they have lied and said "we asked if anyone would buy it down here" no...no they didn't. AT&T said they're working on putting u-verse out here, but they said that like 2 years ago and the person over the phone told my mom her that they're putting it out here a few months ago. Yes, I live pretty far out, 15 minutes to get to a larger retail store (Walmart). I wonder if thye're working on it? I see those tall metal telephone poles sitting in the ditch.
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Saffire wrote:
Foster's track record with serious anime is actually pretty good. It'll be fine.

The Clannad and Angel Beats dubs beg to differ.

Well-I strongly disagree with you-both dubs were damn good and I really liked what Greg Ayers did with Sunohara.
noigeL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Saffire wrote:
Foster's track record with serious anime is actually pretty good. It'll be fine.

The Clannad and Angel Beats dubs beg to differ.

Well-I strongly disagree with you-both dubs were damn good and I really liked what Greg Ayers did with Sunohara.

Foster didn't even direct most of Clannad, just the first 12 episodes. The rest of the first series was directed by Janice Williams and After Story plus the movie had David Williams as ADR director. Foster's directing wasn't even the biggest problem with the first 12 eps; it was the script. Once Clint Bickham was brought on to adapt the dialog the dub sounded a lot smoother. One of my main beef's with Sentai's dubs is the tendency for the dialog to be near-straight readings of the subtitle script.

Angel Beats had some distractingly loose lip synch, inappropriate language and a downright unacceptable mispronunciation of Yurippe's name. However, there were some real strengths; lots of very funny line deliveries and a sense of camaraderie among the cast.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm not to familiar with some directors' names, so have to ask, who is this Foster guy? Will admit I've never seen the old Grave of the Fireflies dub, but that's because I don't like depressing stuff.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
While it being necessary or not is always an issue of interpretation, it is always interesting to see how people re-interpret work. Considering how old the original dub is, I'm not too surprised.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
While it being necessary or not is always an issue of interpretation, it is always interesting to see how people re-interpret work. Considering how old the original dub is, I'm not too surprised.

Its not so much the issue of it being redubbed, most people dont really even remember the old dub (and I'd personally say its the kinda show that should be watched in japanese anyway, and Im a dub lover). The issue comes more from the fact that Foster doesn't have the greatest track record and is the weakest choice that Sentai could have picked to redub
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
I'm not to familiar with some directors' names, so have to ask, who is this Foster guy? Will admit I've never seen the old Grave of the Fireflies dub, but that's because I don't like depressing stuff.

I think this tells you all you need to know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4