• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-06-17

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K.o.R

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:03 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Haha, how deliciously tragic! This whole arc started off so positively for Kevin!
(image)
Drosselmeyer grin! (of slight disturbance and utter delight)!

Argh, I could not help but read that post aloud in Drosselmeyer's voice.
atlanime

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:12 am Reply with quote
Fangirls are freakin' crazy! I mean like "not playing with a full deck" crazy!
atlanime

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:13 am Reply with quote
Fangirls are freakin' crazy! I mean like "not playing with a full deck" crazy!
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:45 am Reply with quote
I did not see that one coming at all. Holy crap!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
I dunno, for some reason this just didn't make me laugh. I'm fine with dark comedy, but this came out a little too gruesome for my tastes. For one thing, no way would I call it a bluff, I don't care if they're bluffing or not, the minute I see something physically threatening to kill themselves, I'd immediately make my move to restrain them and have someone call the police. Psychotic or not, it's still a fellow human being, and I don't gamble when it comes to lives.

And since it was obvious the girl was a few fries short of a Happy Meal, why did Paola think she was bluffing? A normal person, sure, but in this case.....

I apologize, I know I took this way too seriously. Smile
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:18 am Reply with quote
It's like the plot of a bad movie, the writer did'nt knew how to unentangle the mess made, so makes a quick exit.
ZZalapski

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:20 am Reply with quote
Uh, wow. That got dark fast.

dtm42 wrote:
Well, the choice was between Crazy Girl and that figurine; I would pick Crazy Girl, assuming she made it, ah, "worth my while". But yes, Nina trumps both of those options; too bad she and Kevin are "just friends". As for Paola, she's nice too, but I don't think she's interested in Kevin (he certainly isn't interested in her, not with Nina around).

Public service announcement: No matter how hot a girl is, there's always a guy who's sick of her shit.
irishninja

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:30 am Reply with quote
Shocked

At first I thought Robin was just totally twisted for making it go that way, but since (apparently) that emulates a scene from the anime, well... Robin's still pretty twisted for making it go that way. Laughing
nickelwit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote
"Brevity is the soul of wit" - Shakespeare

HI-LAR-IOUS! Loved the abrupt dark comedy to wrap things up. If it was animated, I can totally imagine the Family Guy-esque cut with the SFX of the ambulances siren being heard before the image of the trio coming into view.
Kalgar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:41 am Reply with quote
O.O

I was already enjoying this arc... but wow... that was the last thing I expected.
My life is complete Razz
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:49 am Reply with quote
Unexpected turn of events, got my heart pumping.
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:51 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I wonder if Funimation or somebody else would ever be in the mood to give FY a re-release. (I mention Funimation first because they might be able to market reverse-harems/pretty-boys to the Ouran crowd.) It never got a cheap release in the Geneon/Pioneer days, so 2 collections at $50 MSRP per set might work. I know some are opposed to "splitting a series into 2 releases," but consider its history:

Sometime in the late 1990s -- VHS release, likely 16 tapes at $30 apiece = $480. $960 if you wanted both languages.
1999-2000 -- Original DVD release, 2 26-ep sets at $200 apiece = $400. (I got each of those used for ~$100 apiece)
2004 -- Single DVD release, 8 x $25 = $200.

Then again, even the ultra-expensive boxed sets are going for much less than what I paid for them in 2005 Crying or Very sad

The price of the boxsets for that series was absolutely ridiculous. I lucked out though, and managed to get the whole series in singles for $40.
But I agree, someone should look at doing a re-release of Fushigi Yuugi - it's a classic. It's one show that I know that I'll be able to re-watch over and over again (despite the fact that the majority of the characters drive me absolutely insane) However, I think regarding Funi's releasing schedule, it might be split up into four sets, since it is a 52-episode series.
Also, speaking as a woman who knows fully just how mental some chicks are - crazy chicks are not worth it, even if you're getting tons of sex. Once the sex is over, you have to deal with her issues. Not fun. I'd rather have the shiny.
Omega13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:00 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
I wonder if Funimation or somebody else would ever be in the mood to give FY a re-release. (I mention Funimation first because they might be able to market reverse-harems/pretty-boys to the Ouran crowd.) It never got a cheap release in the Geneon/Pioneer days, so 2 collections at $50 MSRP per set might work. I know some are opposed to "splitting a series into 2 releases," but consider its history:

Sometime in the late 1990s -- VHS release, likely 16 tapes at $30 apiece = $480. $960 if you wanted both languages.
1999-2000 -- Original DVD release, 2 26-ep sets at $200 apiece = $400. (I got each of those used for ~$100 apiece)
2004 -- Single DVD release, 8 x $25 = $200.

Then again, even the ultra-expensive boxed sets are going for much less than what I paid for them in 2005 Crying or Very sad

The price of the boxsets for that series was absolutely ridiculous. I lucked out though, and managed to get the whole series in singles for $40.
But I agree, someone should look at doing a re-release of Fushigi Yuugi - it's a classic. It's one show that I know that I'll be able to re-watch over and over again (despite the fact that the majority of the characters drive me absolutely insane) However, I think regarding Funi's releasing schedule, it might be split up into four sets, since it is a 52-episode series.

Why does it need another re-release? RightStuf currently has all the singles available at $8 a pop ($64 for the whole thing). If you want the original half-series boxes, they're available for $80 each.
panzer.time

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:09 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
I'd rather have the shiny.

I love the way that became a noun so quickly.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
Shocked

At first I thought Robin was just totally twisted for making it go that way, but since (apparently) that emulates a scene from the anime, well... Robin's still pretty twisted for making it go that way. Laughing

I thought it was just Robin getting sick of the story arc and trying to get it over with as quickly as possible. But yeah, now that I know it's from the anime, it's pretty ingenious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6