• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Old Boy Publisher Sues Korean Studio Over U.S. Film Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fcheze

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
The_X_box_360 wrote:
In my opinion, the only thing worse than narrow-minded fanboys is, obscure uninformed CLOSED-minded fanboys.

Pretty much, MOST that you fear would be changed from your "precious" Korean "masterpiece" was actually a complete bastardization of what was in the original manga.

I'm not sure what's more interesting.... calling a Korean movie I fell asleep on a "masterpiece", or implying that some Korean "hardcore" HACK has even a fraction of the level of talent of Spielberg and that the current Will Smith is in anyway inferior to any K-actor anywhere... ever... -_-

I'm guessing, a lot of obscure, close-minded, uninformed fanboys are going to be taken by surprise with the finished product of this project.

novel<->movie adaption not being true to the original source? that's a laughable point to argue.

the original manga was dragged out and it had a crappy lame ending. an extra main character (the teacher) didn't help much either.

from wiki:

Code:
The film won the Grand Prix at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival and high praise from the President of the Jury, director Quentin Tarantino, who could not persuade the members of the jury to give it the Palme d'Or over Fahrenheit 9/11.[citation needed] Critically, the movie has been well received in the United States, with an 81% "Certified Fresh" rating at Rottentomatoes.com.[2] Film critic Roger Ebert has claimed Oldboy to be a "...powerful film not because of what it depicts, but because of the depths of the human heart which it strips bare".[3] In 2008, CNN named it one of the ten best Asian films ever made.

Quentin Tarantino must be a hack director too, and all those reviewers must be all bogus.

without the korean movie, there probably wouldn't have been a hollywood remake or even attracted spielberg/smith.

you keep going on about "fanboys" but you sound like a giant weeaboo and very biased. judging by your alias, i guess you're a xbox fanboy and dislike ps3/wii too? quite hypocritical for someone who goes on about narrow mindedness.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Dickishness of Mr. XBox aside (now that's a clause I never imagined I'd write Laughing), if the Korean movie really is a massive departure from the manga, then an American movie that returned to the original manga and came up with its own story out of it the same way the Korean film did, especially in the hands of Spielberg, could be quite good.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Dickishness of Mr. XBox aside (now that's a clause I never imagined I'd write Laughing), if the Korean movie really is a massive departure from the manga, then an American movie that returned to the original manga and came up with its own story out of it the same way the Korean film did, especially in the hands of Spielberg, could be quite good.

are you implying that maybe Spielberg and Will Smith are going to make a good movie? thats funny.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Old Boy had one of the best movie fights ever filmed, and I sincerely doubt that a Hollywood production would be as good. Not just regarding the fight scenes but in virtually every category. The only things Steven Spielberg and Will Smith will bring is a higher budget, explosions, giant man-eating beasts, snappy one-liners, and an easier marketing campaign. The first four won't help such a gritty and realistic story (assuming they even keep those), and a big and visible marketing campaign doesn't make a great film.

Still, Infernal Affairs was remade into a decent Hollywood flick (The Departed), so who knows?
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Old Boy had one of the best movie fights ever filmed, and I sincerely doubt that a Hollywood production would be as good. Not just regarding the fight scenes but in virtually every category. The only things Steven Spielberg and Will Smith will bring is a higher budget, explosions, giant man-eating beasts, snappy one-liners, and an easier marketing campaign. The first four won't help such a gritty and realistic story (assuming they even keep those), and a big and visible marketing campaign doesn't make a great film.

Still, Infernal Affairs was remade into a decent Hollywood flick (The Departed), so who knows?

The reason why The Departed was such a good film was because it had a good director, was well cast and a well written script.

Will SMith hasn't done a good movie in forever and Spielberg hasn't made a decent film in 10 years.
yojimboray

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
The_X_box_360 wrote:
In my opinion, the only thing worse than narrow-minded fanboys is, obscure uninformed CLOSED-minded fanboys.

Pretty much, MOST that you fear would be changed from your "precious" Korean "masterpiece" was actually a complete bastardization of what was in the original manga.

I'm not sure what's more interesting.... calling a Korean movie I fell asleep on a "masterpiece", or implying that some Korean "hardcore" HACK has even a fraction of the level of talent of Spielberg and that the current Will Smith is in anyway inferior to any K-actor anywhere... ever... -_-

I'm guessing, a lot of obscure, close-minded, uninformed fanboys are going to be taken by surprise with the finished product of this project.

Ironic that you sound like the most closed-minded of all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2