• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1+ Million Bakemonogatari/Nisemonogatari DVD/BDs Sold

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoraChanShadow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
That great.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
hopefully the USA sales will be good enough that we get nisemonogatari on BD
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
hopefully the USA sales will be good enough that we get nisemonogatari on BD
Considering the price, good luck with that >.<

Of course they dont need very many sales for it to be a "success" over here, at those prices. AoA ftl....

But, I find this franchise hugely overrated anyway, it's still good for the industry so it's still good news.
aereus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah, there has been a penchant in Japan ever since Haruhi came out, for this sort of "bandwagon" effect to skyrocket sales into a single title in a season. Just look at how it's basically only been in the last 5 years that popular series have started consistently cracking 25-30k sales per volume. Before that, even breaking 10k was considered a large hit.

My guess is as more of the fandom became interconnected on forums online like 2chan, that they tended towards all piling their purchases onto the same series in a season.

The downside to this, is that it can absolutely ruin everything else running that season, and cause stuff that normally would have earned a 2nd season to not get picked up. Since the media is so expensive over there, most of them only buy 1-2 series per season, etc.
-MgZ_

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:41 am Reply with quote
Nekomonogatari incoming!
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:06 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
My guess is as more of the fandom became interconnected on forums online like 2chan, that they tended towards all piling their purchases onto the same series in a season.

What about the simplest explanation; that there are more Anime fans than ever before?
elscar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote
I'd love to import Bakemonogatari to have it on blu-ray but I cannot justify spending £140 on it. if it was half that price I would definitely consider picking it up
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
Yeah, there has been a penchant in Japan ever since Haruhi came out, for this sort of "bandwagon" effect to skyrocket sales into a single title in a season. Just look at how it's basically only been in the last 5 years that popular series have started consistently cracking 25-30k sales per volume. Before that, even breaking 10k was considered a large hit.

The downside to this, is that it can absolutely ruin everything else running that season, and cause stuff that normally would have earned a 2nd season to not get picked up. Since the media is so expensive over there, most of them only buy 1-2 series per season, etc.

DISCLAIMER: I do not have proof to back up my statement. This is my SUBJECTIVE opinion.

I do not buy it. I think that Japanese otaku find a way to keep buying other anime even if more Monogatari is released that week. Besides, it is not like if every month a Monogatari volume was released. And I think that Japanese otaku buy more than 2 series per season, even if they are expensive.
aereus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
aereus wrote:

What about the simplest explanation; that there are more Anime fans than ever before?

Because I really doubt something like tripling of total sales just magically happens in the last 5 years in a mature market like anime thats been around for 30+ years. Production doubled between 1995-2005, but sales didn't, hence why the market took a huge dive around that time period.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
aereus wrote:

Because I really doubt something like tripling of total sales just magically happens in the last 5 years in a mature market like anime thats been around for 30+ years. Production doubled between 1995-2005, but sales didn't, hence why the market took a huge dive around that time period.

Then why are there like twice as many series now too if its so unprofitable? Back in the early 2000s, you saw maybe 15 series a season.. now its at least 30 new series. The sales in the last 5 years are far better than the industry has ever seen, all around... its become a much more successful industry in that time. Catering to the hardcore fanbase that isn't afraid to spend money does that.

I may agree that the overall average sales per anime has gone down slightly, due to all the anime that comes out now... but its a bigger market, so more niche anime that couldn't be made in the past as anything more than a 1 episode OVA are now allowed to be done as TV series. I really can't understand why anyone would think the anime industry isn't in the best shape its ever been, since theres plenty of different types of anime for people with every taste, instead of just a few shows a season now like during the "Golden Age" of the 90s.
kanechin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Great...now make a official H-OVA with Tsukihi & Nadeko.
aereus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I never said it wasn't in a better position overall. Or that the industry was failing. I said that when a huge bandwagon effect happens, it tends to kill off otherwise worthy shows that would have seen decently higher sales. There never used to be such huge swells in sales where the #1 would sell as much as everything else that season combined, etc.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure there's more variety neither. It's like most noteworthy anime went to the "Adult Swim" of Japan - that is, otaku late nights - so it's either that or merchandise anime in day times, with less in between kinda like 8-10pm primetime Emmy stuff. Reminds us back in the 90's when American comics went for the profitability of collectors' mentality but in the expense of insularity, so it's either Archie comics or X-men crossover #313, with less in between for outsiders to get into.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1