• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Queen's Blade's 2nd Season Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:03 am Reply with quote
(looks at calander) Nope, long past April. Shyte like this has absolutely sweet FA to do with trying to increase the birth rate in Japan. Understanding its target demography will tell you that. Problem is it's the wankers, what toss to this by the bucket load, won't have other mouths to feed and so have a disposable income to spend on it. Where there's muck, there's brass. Wink
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:33 am Reply with quote
Well what are you going to do about it?

Fly to Japan and start whipping Otakus everytime they try to buy Queen's Blade? If it sells than the market wants it, look anime has been full of crap since like 2000. Eiken , DearS, Hands Maid May all where crap, so what's so different about Queen's Blade other than the fact that its aggresivaly stupid, and knows it's crap.

The fact that a franchise popular with Otaku sold well enough that a series that was obviously always supposed to have a sequel has that sequel shouldn't be treated as some tragedy.

Plus it's made by ARMs makers of such fine work as La Blue Girls Return and the Ikkitousen sequels, they are not exactly going to make the next masterpiece.

It's not like how Kyoto Animation could make the next masterpiece but are constantly fine just adapting what someone else worked on.

Oh look at how cute Mio is! I am going to buy all the songs, all the figurines, and buy a bass.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:45 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
it happens to be bad for the industry in the long run on top of being wrong.
Stop crying.You do not represent the majority,whatsoever.I'll purchase more copies if it pisses off the non-ecchi going crowd.

Otaku and anime fans will never see eye to eye.

Again,It's a different culture,stop comparing it with your personal morals.

Last edited by Shadowrun20XX on Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:48 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
so Queen's Blade gets a second season yet K-ON! doesn't? Something is very wrong here if Japan is striving for "quality" anime recently.

Both go in the same bin as far as I'm concerned Razz

I actually pretty much agree with this. K-ON! isn't blatantly offensive (Or not nearly as much, I find retard moe annoying at best.) like Queen's Blade, and it has better production values, but it's utterly vapid. Look, the cute girls are doing cute things in a cute way. Repeat for 13 episodes. If you aren't prone to sit there basking in the cuteness, there's very little by which to be entertained. The ED is about the only thing I like, and it might as well be pulled from another show given how little it has to do with the rest.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:00 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Big Hed wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
so Queen's Blade gets a second season yet K-ON! doesn't? Something is very wrong here if Japan is striving for "quality" anime recently.

Both go in the same bin as far as I'm concerned Razz

I actually pretty much agree with this. K-ON! isn't blatantly offensive (Or not nearly as much, I find retard moe annoying at best.) like Queen's Blade, and it has better production values, but it's utterly vapid. Look, the cute girls are doing cute things in a cute way. Repeat for 13 episodes. If you aren't prone to sit there basking in the cuteness, there's very little by which to be entertained. The ED is about the only thing I like, and it might as well be pulled from another show given how little it has to do with the rest.

Hell Episode 10 was a repeat of Episode 4 except with one new character because they need to make a swimsuit figurine of her.

It's Kyoto Animation's uniwillingness to take risk is why I have never considered them the equals of Sunrise, Bones, or other anime studio's who do try to make great works of art.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:22 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Fly to Japan and start whipping Otakus everytime they try to buy Queen's Blade?
Hmm! That sounds like a good marketing ploy. Well done! Wink

Quote:
The fact that a franchise popular with Otaku sold well enough that a series that was obviously always supposed to have a sequel has that sequel shouldn't be treated as some tragedy.
Well it is a tragedy that shyte like this is the only thing that sells well; don't you think? What does that say about anime, and what it's only good for?
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:25 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't think K-On is all that good myself. I'd take it in a second over this cultural sewage, though.

Charred Knight wrote:

Fly to Japan and start whipping Otakus everytime they try to buy Queen's Blade? If it sells than the market wants it, look anime has been full of crap since like 2000. Eiken , DearS, Hands Maid May all where crap, so what's so different about Queen's Blade other than the fact that its aggresivaly stupid, and knows it's crap.

By now, you're doing nothing but making my point for me. You aren't refuting what I've said so much as demanding "so what?!" So, I think we're pretty much done talking to each other.

As for you, Shadowrun, you clearly haven't been paying attention. It isn't just my personal morals. The industry is becoming more and more aware that favoring otaku-exclusive appeal over mainstream appeal is a problem. So don't go basically telling me "it's their culture, get over it." A substantial component of that culture doesn't like this either.

And contrary to your delusion, you are not the majority and you never will be the majority. Your beloved ecchi anime will never stand the test of time and enjoy enduring success compared to the titles that everyone in the know naturally thinks about when they think of anime. Go ahead and like whatever you like but this is a fact, and you might as well make your peace with it.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:34 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
The industry is becoming more and more aware that favoring otaku-exclusive appeal over mainstream appeal is a problem.
That nothing new,noob.I'm one of the hardcore otaku that supports Queens Blade.I'll take eroge over moeblob.

I've been a collector since 1981.Titles like these come and go.It will pass.Give it time.

Heh,You sound jealous that ecchi titles like Ikkitousen,Strike Witches and Kanokon,outsell saccharine rich go-nowhere mainstream garbage.Happens all the time.Queens Blade got a second season green lit for a reason,but I don't think you have seen enough Queens Blade to pass judgement on it.(Unless,you fear nudity?).Who do you think will win Queens Blade? Hmm? Take your time.
Liclac Atra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:09 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Yeah, I don't think K-On is all that good myself. I'd take it in a second over this cultural sewage, though.

Charred Knight wrote:

By now, you're doing nothing but making my point for me. You aren't refuting what I've said so much as demanding "so what?!" So, I think we're pretty much done talking to each other.

As for you, Shadowrun, you clearly haven't been paying attention. It isn't just my personal morals. The industry is becoming more and more aware that favoring otaku-exclusive appeal over mainstream appeal is a problem. So don't go basically telling me "it's their culture, get over it." A substantial component of that culture doesn't like this either.

And contrary to your delusion, you are not the majority and you never will be the majority. Your beloved ecchi anime will never stand the test of time and enjoy enduring success compared to the titles that everyone in the know naturally thinks about when they think of anime. Go ahead and like whatever you like but this is a fact, and you might as well make your peace with it.

No matter what happens with the anime industry, people with a wide range of intrest for both niche and mainstream will always have things to watch. I think instead of aggresive arugments can't we just say there are guilty pleasures and while some people might think that this is the cancer that is killing anime or something along those lines, there are a lot of new shows out and comeing out that tend to get overlooked with relatively new ideas (given the fact that this is media in general thats impressive), as well as lots of different niches.

I suppose want I want to say is, while large amounts of people (like the anime fandom) will never all agree on what is good, I think people should try and get along and try too branch out into new things. Let's all just be glad that we have something we can all enjoy as a community and not bicker over what show is garbage and which show is ruining anime, etc.

Peace & Love
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:32 am Reply with quote
My initial reaction was: WHHHYYYYYYYY!? But I realized the answer quickly and now don't really care much, except that maybe some of the seiyuu could be doing something less garbage-y with their time, but it's not like they don't already do several shows at once.
loka wrote:
Liclac Atra wrote:
I consider this to be on the same entertainment value level as Kanokon...

Kanokon had far more comedy. The 'guessing-game' episode. The 'cake' episode. The hotspring and alcohol episode. To only name a few.

Yeah. Kanokon was at least funny.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
So many amazing series that deserve continuations yet something like this gets another season...
Just goes to show fanservice sells over plot and general quality.
A sad day indeed...

Indeed. Instead of making another season for well done shows such as Genshiken or Azumanga daioh garbage like this get's another season.

I'll never understand why fanservice sells more than a show with a fantastic plot and steller quality. This is indeed mindbloggling.
muppsatan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:41 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
My initial reaction was: WHHHYYYYYYYY!? But I realized the answer quickly and now don't really care much, except that maybe some of the seiyuu could be doing something less garbage-y with their time, but it's not like they don't already do several shows at once.
loka wrote:
Liclac Atra wrote:
I consider this to be on the same entertainment value level as Kanokon...

Kanokon had far more comedy. The 'guessing-game' episode. The 'cake' episode. The hotspring and alcohol episode. To only name a few.

Yeah. Kanokon was at least funny.

Yeah because lots of loli characters wanting to rape a 8 year old boy or whatever is obviously superior to Queens Blade?
luckyxmas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Stop crying.You do not represent the majority,whatsoever.I'll purchase more copies if it pisses off the non-ecchi going crowd.

Well I'll be importing the Blu-rays when they're out... I'm a believer in voting with your wallet, pricey as these things are Smile
muppsatan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:00 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Exactly, look if your in the Kyoto Animation or Sunrise category of beloved creator than your studio can take risk, for the rest they have to play it safe and make what sells.

Here's the thing most people aren't getting

WHAT YOU HATE IS WHY THE BUY IT!

They don't buy it because it's the only thing out there, they buy it because they like it.

Nobody is going out there and look at Queen's Blade and be sworn off anime. At least not in Japan. Crap like Queen's Blade has been being made for years, remember Ikkitousen?

Well, to be fair, I looked up the animation company (ARMS) and they haven't done very much. This isn't representative of current anime by a long shot (just look at the other spring 2009 series). Still, it is a perfect example of the direction things shouldn't go. It's a "big deal" because Queen's Blade is particularly shameless and niche, not to mention overwhelmingly sexist.

The trouble is, you're still not dealing with the fact that "why they buy it" is why people who are worried about the state of the industry are concerned about the pandering and the lack of mainstream appeal in a lot what's getting made. This is given weight by the fact that those who are worried are in the industry.

To respond to another point, I don't demand that people should only like what I like. I am saying that people should at least have a minimal set of standards. It's one thing to say "well, some sad otaku out there want this" and quite another to accept it. Because again, here's the thing, it happens to be bad for the industry in the long run on top of being wrong.

Frankly, if even a series like this doesn't get laughed at and condemned by some people, I have to wonder where the line gets drawn here. What you're basically arguing is that anything is fair game so long as it makes a little money, which is one heck of a low standard to have. You're also knocking down a bit of a straw man when you imply that the choice for the industry is between making exploitative, otaku-only pandering crap and not making money by making a show that doesn't suck.

Finally, I'm really stunned that you told me via PM that there's no practical difference between this and what Kyoto Animation does since K-ON gets marketed a certain way. Maybe there is some questionable merchandising out there and maybe quite a few otaku like it for the wrong reasons, but the content and context of the actual show matters. Even if one believes that K-ON itself is too narrow and that there's too much moe in anime these days, there's no comparison between that and even five minutes of what goes on in Queen's Blade.

Sure, this news isn't the end of the world. But it isn't a good thing.

K-ON is as much otaku pandering as Queens Blade, while most people might agree K-ON to be less objectionable that's not the point it is the same crap a.k.a "Otaku pandering". To be more on topic: The anime companies has always relied quite heavily on that niche demographic to recoup losses and in my opinion that has made them lazy, personally i think they need to revise their marketing strategies badly and try for some innovation rather than iteration of anything that works, and to close this off i think Otaku pandering anime can co-exist with other anime just fine but that the industry has just skewed a bit to much towards the niche for now and should start doing something to appeal to a broader audience (Simply creating quality stories isn't enough for financial success).
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
GWOtaku wrote:
The industry is becoming more and more aware that favoring otaku-exclusive appeal over mainstream appeal is a problem.
That nothing new,noob.I'm one of the hardcore otaku that supports Queens Blade.I'll take eroge over moeblob.

I've been a collector since 1981.Titles like these come and go.It will pass.Give it time.

Heh,You sound jealous that ecchi titles like Ikkitousen,Strike Witches and Kanokon,outsell saccharine rich go-nowhere mainstream garbage.Happens all the time.Queens Blade got a second season green lit for a reason,but I don't think you have seen enough Queens Blade to pass judgement on it.(Unless,you fear nudity?).Who do you think will win Queens Blade? Hmm? Take your time.

I haven't watched Queen's Blade except few clips from Youtube, so I can't comment how good or bad the show is. Let me ask you this: How do you know that shows like Strike Witches outsells mainstream? Do you have reliable fact that supports your words?

I'm collector myself too, but I try not to blow money something worthless. Granted that Japanese Otakus loyally buy Anime DVD's and other merchandises. Like everyone else, I'm pretty sure that they have limits as in personal budget and demographic strength. I just don't want Japanese producers focusing manpower and talent on titles that only sells to Moe/Eroge Otaku demographic and never bother to reach out to other demographic groups.

I'm not mainstream, but there are different communities of people who don't waste time watching some distorted fantasy. To me, Eroge and Moe are just cheap, mass produced distorted fantasy that completely lack uniqueness. At one time, one of my video game-loving friends call them "Cookie Cutter anime". Why is that? From broad point of view, there isn't much difference among those titles.

So do we need another season of "Queens Blade"? It'll feed starving animation artists for few months, but they won't get anything good out it in long run.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10