• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eden of the East Gets Two Theatrical Films Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh great, we have to wait until 2010 to see the conclusion. That's really milking a project. Laughing
grapeofdeath

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm sort of confused. Your *sigh* seems to indicate you are bummed that there may not be a legal way to watch the movies. However, nobody outside of Japan has been able to legally watch the broadcast episodes. That includes you. So why do you care about a series that - because of your scruples against non-legal viewing - you have not seen yet?

Actually, you can. The Keyhole TV program was put out by the Japanese government and the four original channels put on it are legal to watch, one of them being Fuji TV which Eden was aired on. That's how I've been watching the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Ah, that's cool. I've never heard of Keyhole TV before. Mind you, I'm assuming you'd actually have to know Japanese to take advantage of this.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:34 am Reply with quote
Well, this is good and bad news. Good because it's a great show and more of it is certainly welcome but bad that us fans over here are going to have to wait so long to see the films. Crying or Very sad
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:27 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Well, this is good and bad news. Good because it's a great show and more of it is certainly welcome but bad that us fans over here are going to have to wait so long to see the films. Crying or Very sad

And also bad for the distributor because whoever is brave enough to get this one also has to license both films in addition to the series and music rights to include the series OP and movie music.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Well, this is good and bad news. Good because it's a great show and more of it is certainly welcome but bad that us fans over here are going to have to wait so long to see the films.

To me, that just means that when it's close to the release date of the movies, it's time for a handy re-watch of the series. No harm at all!

hikaru004 wrote:
... whoever is brave enough to get this one also has to license both films in addition to the series and music rights to include the series OP and movie music.

This is a series that, if translated and released right with some sort of TV backing, could be huge. While there are lots of Japanese-specific idioms throughout the show, there aren't as many anime-specific ones. So the show can be enjoyed by people who aren't normally into anime.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
I'll look forward to this Anime hyper!
RhinoX753

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I cant believe that they could have made such an abrupt ending... which ends nothing, if those movies are the remake instead of a sequel then this is the worst ending they could have come up with.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how I feel about this. In fact, I really would have preferred a longer series with a conclusion as opposed to a two part film sequel. It's not unusual to have a movie for a series in any medium, but usually it's a remake or has a separate storyline from the series. Feature films and television series are two such different film formats that the jump is going to be jarring. I still think the movies are going to be brilliant, however. They'll probably be better than the series since the series seemed to want to be a movie.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
dunse dog wrote:
If the title of the first movie is King of Eden, then does this reference to Mr. Outside, the Supporter or some other high figure (or is it just another reference to the movie "East of Eden"). Seeing as the title of the second is "Paradise Lost" then this must be a reference to the book. Will they play on the themes of evil guy sympathy or something

I'm sorry, I'm too hyped not to speculate. Even though its only the title of a movie, lol.

If you've seen the last episode, it's pretty obvious who it refers to and why (spoilerific), which implies very heavily that it is a continuation, rather than a retelling.
yellow ledbetter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm confident these are a continuation and not a remake. If you've seen the last episode you will be able to understand the title "The King of Eden" very easily with the events of the episode.

Funni had included Eden in one of their recent surveys asking about what current airing shows would people buy if they came out on dvd so maybe it's possible they are looking into it...at least I hope they are. Full series box set with blu ray movie releases would be nice for this quality of show.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:45 am Reply with quote
Going by the last episode, I would be SHOCKED if the movies were anything other than a continuation of the story. The first movie could be a retelling in movie form I suppose, but the second one would have to be a continuation.

I think it is more likely that the first movie, King of Eden, is in reference to spoiler[ his newly purchased status as the King of Japan ] than to anything else. It makes perfect sense that way.

East of Eden has the best original plot I've seen in years. I can only hope that we get a Blu-Ray release, and that the Japanese release of the movie on DVD is sometime this decade.

Oh, and if spoiler[ the taxi driver isn't Ato Saizu ] I'll eat my proverbial hat.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:05 am Reply with quote
Original Plan from the start was 11 episodes and 1 film to finish it... looks like they are going with two films now though.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
I just love that spoiler[Japan was saved by 20,000 NEETs and a Hikkikomori]. I will definitely be buying this series and the movies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3