• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-06-19]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
In regards to what makes a good anime opening for me, the past couple of years, most of my favourite anime openings have the phrase "WASSHOI!" in there somewhere (i.e. Kemeko Deluxe and K-On!).

I know it's roughly the Japanese equivalent of "Heave Ho!" in English and it's not a new phrase, but the use of "Wasshoi!" seems to have become more endemic in anime as of late.

Then, if you haven't already done so, you need to watch the OP for Hidamari Sketch x365 - "Hatena de Wasshoi" You can get your entire recommended daily requirement of wasshoi in about 90 seconds. Laughing
Farix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The controversial debate of obscenity and free speech looks like it will continue for many, many years to come. What’s seems to have happened in the US is that the High courts have become more further bent toward the conservative right of the Bush years, allowing hard line rulings to be approved at the cost of your first amendment guarantees. One can only look towards Pres. Obama's administration to pull that more centre right, or left again to fix that. We here in the UK are on the threshold of getting a similar bill passed with the danger, or advantage, depending on one’s point of view, of having the same court cases ruled upon in future. It is unfortunate that Handley, didn’t have the bottle to fight his corner and handed the conservatives yet another brick in their wall. Handley could have won his appeal. Reference

I don't know how things are set up in the UK, but here in the US, the courts cannot charge or prosecute anyone. That is left up to a district attorney who is almost always an elected official. Since this is a criminal case, if it had gone to trial, it would be a jury trial with the judge acting as referee. The political views of the judge would have had little impact on the juries verdict unless he or she was completely incompetent. It is only at the applet level where you get into the politically oriented judges. But this case didn't get anywhere close to the applet level. But just because an applet judge is a conservative appointee doesn't mean that the judge will side with the obscenity laws when it conflicts with the First Amendment. In most cases, they don't.

Also, conservatives isn't the only group limiting free speech. Liberals are just as bad, if not worse. It is just that liberals want to limit free speech in different areas and in different more obtuse ways. Many liberals also won't think twice before attempting to "shout down" anyone that disagrees with them in order to the that person to "shut up", such as when someone goes to a university to speak about a conservative cause. Many of these the university speech codes that limit, if not prohibit certain political activities, by students are often backed by liberal interests. These codes gives the university officials discretion to prosecute students whose political activities they disagree with while giving political activities they do agree with a pass. Fortunately, groups such as the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) are trying to fight this.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Lies. Your drawing skills are awesome. I envy you, because all I can draw is generic anime girls, doing generic things, smiling generically, while giving the camera a generic peace sign. Maybe every once in a while, I can draw a generic glasses-wearing bishounen.

(Sure, some seizure-inducing background stuff is good, too. But when it comes right down to it, you're not actually watching the intro, are you? I never do -- I've seen it before and I know I'll be able to see it again, so I generally browse some blogs and hum along with the song.) - Bettina

Actually, I -am- watching the intro. A lot of the time, I'm not even listening to the music, I'm just watching for this one awesome part. I've heard it before, and I know I'll be able to hear it again.

Nobody else here thought that the animation and style made the opening, and the music sorta took a backseat to that? That's actually the reason I like most of the Bleach openings. The music is pretty meh to me, but the style and stuff is so pretty! I actually used to despise the first opening of Bleach, Asterisk, but then it grew on me after I watched the opening enough times for the animation.

For the record, I also decide what shows to watch based on the opening. The opening was the entire reason I thought to watch Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei. Same goes for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Is that Bubsy? I used to LOVE that game as a kid.

I'll admit, openings often do influence my decision to watch a series. Though, I do try to look beyond that...but first impressions really do count.
Key wrote:

Another series whose opener sets up the story is Scrapped Princess. If you ever pay attention to that opener in light of what's said in the first episode, you'll see that it's actually the prologue for the series. (And it's a damn good song, too.)

Wow, you're right. I never noticed that before. I never paid much attention to the details because a lot of it is just the three main characters staring into the distance, but it actually is a prologue.

Altorrin wrote:

I actually used to despise the first opening of Bleach, Asterisk, but then it grew on me after I watched the opening enough times for the animation.

I still think that's probably the best Bleach opening because it so perfectly captured the style and feeling of the manga pre-Soul Society arc. If he were an animator, it seems like Kubo himself could've made that opening.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say I really dig New Answerman's weekly Answerfan questions. They're very creative and interesting.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
An elf???

that was supposed to be Milon, from the NES game Milon's Secret Castle.

he fights with bubbles too.

Though I didn't reconize some of the drawings, I liked the monster that was blowing a bubble. Your pretty taleneted though.

But I really hope this discussion doesn't retrail because of the subject mentioned this week.
panzer.time

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Aw, I can't see the flake cartoon. Could someone give me some guidance?
Liclac Atra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Good article.

On a separate note, as usual, why the hell are we promoting Craftsmen saws? Here? On this site? Saws?

I am aware of the concept of bling, but seriously! Saws?

Is there going to be a new carpenter anime coming out soon? A Jesus anime?

Coming This Fall, Craftsmen Presents: Super Power Saw Daigon Jesus! The Crucifix Chronicles

I don't know exactly where the Jesus part came from; all I know is if you make a commercial for that, I'll go out and buy any Craftsmen product there is.

Am I the only one who think that anime could be kind of awesome just for the novelty factor?
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:17 am Reply with quote
farix wrote:

Also, conservatives isn't the only group limiting free speech. Liberals are just as bad, if not worse. It is just that liberals want to limit free speech in different areas and in different more obtuse ways. Many liberals also won't think twice before attempting to "shout down" anyone that disagrees with them in order to the that person to "shut up", such as when someone goes to a university to speak about a conservative cause. Many of these the university speech codes that limit, if not prohibit certain political activities, by students are often backed by liberal interests. These codes gives the university officials discretion to prosecute students whose political activities they disagree with while giving political activities they do agree with a pass. Fortunately, groups such as the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) are trying to fight this.

telling someone to "shut up" is just as much a part of free speech as anything. "liberal" professors at universities =/= valid 1st amendment issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:19 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
farix wrote:

telling someone to "shut up" is just as much a part of free speech as anything. "liberal" professors at universities =/= valid 1st amendment issue.

Yeah maybe. Sometimes it seems to go a bit further than that though. I don't doubt the conservatives are a lot worse. However, they're also the ones who are generally more likely to have the actual power to limit free speech in the US. As liberal values become increasingly dominant in America, I think you might just see some of those 'shut ups' turning into 'you aren't allowed to say that'. In fact, I've found up here in Canada that there have been a number of cases where it's decidedly anti-liberal cases of free speech that are limited.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote
On the Handley case it is important to remember that the word "child" here means any character that is or looks under 18.

Look at your anime and manga collection, even the non-erotic titles.

Any sex scenes with a character that looks under 18, is under 18 in the story or wears a school uniform and is therefore in high school?

If you have sexually explict dojinshi either in print or on your computer. Do you have any from shows with a significant number of underaged characters such as Evangelion, Sailor Moon, Chobits, Ranma or Revolutionary Girl Utena?

If so you could get in trouble if your stuff gets searched for any reason.

I urge you consider a membership or donation to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund.

http://www.cbldf.org/
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:

Very true. I've dealt with many people charged with federal crimes, and most of them were completely surprised at how it came to pass and the subsequent consequences.

Just as happened with Handley, there are many charges you might be arrested for (rightfully or not) which can lead directly to a subsequent search of your home and computer. Even an illegal search (such as a wrong address on a search warrant) can still stand-up legally if something illegal is found in that search. As long as the agents believe they are executing that warrant in good faith it is the law of the land that such a search is valid.
togarmah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if manga publishers would donate loli books to the public library?
bucko

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:08 am Reply with quote
No-one mentioned the Kaiba intro.

That intro was fantastic. Mind you, so was the series...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:24 am Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:
Look at your anime and manga collection, even the non-erotic titles.

Any sex scenes with a character that looks under 18, is under 18 in the story or wears a school uniform and is therefore in high school?

If you have sexually explict dojinshi either in print or on your computer. Do you have any from shows with a significant number of underaged characters such as Evangelion, Sailor Moon, Chobits, Ranma or Revolutionary Girl Utena?

Taking this by the letter, current ruling would render presumingly legal releases -such as this- in fact somewhat illegal: school uniforms are worn by some characters depicted, and some external sources suggest their ages are somewhat lower than the legal one, despite their bodily appearances suggesting otherwise.
I suppose things like this will be sold outside of Japan with an "all characters depicted are over the age of 18" disclaimer, as in commonplace for some US publishers. The problem arises from the thousands of adult doujin which aren't published with such legal text.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4