• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Chances In Hell

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I did. Having "High standards" has nothing to do with limited time. It just means you're putting priority on watching shows in genres you prefer.

You really think it just boils down to genre and nothing else?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
I did. Having "High standards" has nothing to do with limited time. It just means you're putting priority on watching shows in genres you prefer.

You really think it just boils down to genre and nothing else?

Yes, I do. If you won't watch fanservice shows for example, its not about having "Standards". Its about not liking fanservice shows. And even within the genres themselves, not liking a show because it deals with things you aren't interested doesn't make it bad... it just means you're not interested in those specific themes. Nothing is factually "Better" than anything else, it just comes down to what you personally want out of the medium.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, ...if that's seriously the way you see it and you reject any other possible notion, then fine.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
It sort of boils down to genres. Some people don't want to watch harems, ecchi content, moe characters, etc. Once you eliminate those genres, then maybe you don't like 100+ episode shounen fighting shows or slice of life.

Basically, having high standards is not giving every single anime a try. Some people are all about anime, all day, every day.

I don't think that having high standards and having good taste are one and the same. It's how much you're willing to let in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bonham

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
With what TitanXL and RyanSaotome have said, you'd think fans of popular/mass entertainment were victims.

Taste in anime or anything else can be liken to taste in, well, food. Fast food, or any food easily and cheaply acquired, is commonplace. McDonald's, KFC, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, etc. are popular. They're easily identifiable, and, for the most part, taste pretty good to most people. And that's fine. I still occasionally eat Taco Bell and Pizza Hut, mostly when I'm out with friends. But if your diet almost entirely consists of these fast foods, or cheap foods that, say, college students go for, then it's not healthy for you. Eating healthier foods, or treating yourself to a different and/or more expensive, well-prepared meal is also important. And diveristy is good, too (so I think it is good to be aware of and immerse yourself in many different national industries and artistic mediums, and not just Japanese animation).

Of course, these aren't one to one comparisons: afaik, there's no scientific study that argues watching or reading a lot of easily-digested, so-called "vapid" entertainment is bad for your health*, and watching/reading more high-brow, unconventional works isn't necessarily more expensive than consuming the aforementioned entertainment. But I still think the metaphor largely holds up. It is open to the idea of merely consuming accessible objects (be it fast food, big dumb action movies or ridiculous fanservice anime), but also demands awareness and critical-thinking, as well (watching, reading and listening to things that may be outside our comfort zone, and being aware of why we like and dislike what we do).

*Although there is a study that says, if people watch dumb people/characters in a show or movie, they're likely to be less-intelligent in the short-term. See here. Whether there's any real credibility to this, I'm not certain.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
The problem is the assumption that people only watch those sorts of shows.

Which is patently untrue.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Studies say a lot of things, including things that contradict other studies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bonham

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Yet my post acknowledges this, and Brian does, as well, so I'm not sure what you're protesting...?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Yet my post acknowledges this, and Brian does, as well, so I'm not sure what you're protesting...?

Except this entire thing just comes down to self-congratulatory back-slapping by people who don't watch those shows.

I just goddamn watch anime. Some is great, some is terrible. Some are classics for the ages, some will be forgotten five minutes after the last episode. Who [expletive] gives a shit?
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
The people with high standards. I thought what this was about.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
...And even within the genres themselves, not liking a show because it deals with things you aren't interested doesn't make it bad... it just means you're not interested in those specific themes. Nothing is factually "Better" than anything else, it just comes down to what you personally want out of the medium.

You and I both set out to draw a line. Your line looks a little wavy, but is basically straight. My line looks like a seismograph reading during a major earthquake. Is one a better line than the other? Yes. Your line would be *objectively* better than mine. There are aspects of anime that can be valued objectively, and naturally there are parts of it that can only be judged subjectively.

If you use a perfectly drawn line as the Standard for a line, then it is possible to determine which line most closely meets that standard. If you have various standards for anime, then you can decide how closely a show meets those standards.

However, when it comes to stuff like anime, people often have different standards, so how they view the anime will be different because while an anime might meet one person's standards, it could completely fail to meet those of another person. This *is not* the same as saying that "nothing is factually 'better' than anything else." You can say that different people want different things out of an anime, but not that something can't be factually better than something else.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm not elitist, I'm elite. Elitist is acting like you're better than others. Elite is actually being better than others. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
The people with high standards. I thought what this was about.

Why should anyone else care?

Who says that their "standards" are objectively high? What makes having "high standards" for animated entertainment aimed at 18~35 year old Japanese males such an important thing?
Bonham

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Except this entire thing just comes down to self-congratulatory back-slapping by people who don't watch those shows.

Okay, but people can be just as dismissive of things that are "artsy" or unconventional, and dismiss them as things that only "critics" enjoy. We can play the "this group is close-minded" game for any given side, and point to generalized instances of elitism, but it doesn't get us anywhere. And I still don't see what specific points of mine you have a problem with.

Quote:
I just goddamn watch anime. Some is great, some is terrible. Some are classics for the ages, some will be forgotten five minutes after the last episode. Who [expletive] gives a shit?

So are debating and analyzing entertainment pointless, and those that enjoy doing so fooling themselves? Why are you on the forum, then?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Someone else beat me to it and said it better than I could, but this isn't the first time you've said something like this. If this is your attitude, why do you bother engaging people at all on the subject? Talking about relative quality is apparently totally pointless and stupid and nobody should waste their time with it, so why do you do it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6