• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Chances In Hell

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I thought you meant shunning their opinions.

I don't agree with excluding actual people from the community. TitanXL - the person who claimed that anyone who dismisses Accel World is not a "legitimate fan" - is an arse and their opinion is wrong. I like Accel World, but I would never condone shunning someone just because they didn't like it.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
I did. Having "High standards" has nothing to do with limited time. It just means you're putting priority on watching shows in genres you prefer.
You really think it just boils down to genre and nothing else?
Yes, I do. If you won't watch fanservice shows for example, its not about having "Standards". Its about not liking fanservice shows.

The Most Interesting Man in the World disagrees; you can be an elitist dork and not have it be about genre.

He doesn't always watch mecha anime, but when he does, he watches Evangelion.
He doesn't always watch iyashikei anime, but when he does, he watches Aria.
He doesn't always watch mahou shoujo, but when he does, he watches Cardcaptor Sakura.

(And if he were to post on ANN threads, he'd troll about dubs, fanservice, aniplex pricing, blu-ray upscales, bootlegs, and fansubbing, all at once. And do it so well Zac would have to agree with him.)
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Now I could be reading into that stuff completely wrong, but even when I appeared on episode 96 of ANNCast (a call-out show) & talked about some obscure anime that I felt deserved more appreciation, Justin even outright stated that I don't seem to have "high standards". I highly doubt that Justin meant that as an insult, nor did I take it that way, but at the same time it just reaffirmed my feeling that if having "high standards" means that I shouldn't be able to enjoy stuff like Godzilla, Ring ni Kakero 1, Zaizen Jotaro, or Clockwork Fighters: Hiwou's War, then I'd rather not consider myself as having "high standards"... I'd rather just have "standards", i.e. I enjoy what I enjoy & I don't like what I don't like.

Amen. "High Standards" seems like such a drag if I have to limit what I like in order to keep that badge of 'honor'. I think I'd rather watch stuff I enjoy rather than what someone else thinks is 'good'

dtm42 wrote:
Oh, I thought you meant shunning their opinions.

I don't agree with excluding actual people from the community. TitanXL - the person who claimed that anyone who dismisses Accel World is not a "legitimate fan" - is an arse and their opinion is wrong. I like Accel World, but I would never condone shunning someone just because they didn't like it.

Funny, I don't remember saying this. I remember saying anyone who would dismiss a show based on it's premise or a setting used (i.e Accel World takes place in a school, making it a 'school anime') isn't a legitimate fan because they seem way too close-minded to be immersed in such a vast medium. Especially if, in their own words, they care what 'critics' think, yet refuse to check out an anime based on a critically acclaimed light-novel series to judge it for themselves. I said nothing about actually 'liking' anything, just keeping an open mind and not dismissing things on petty reasons like 'it takes place in a school. Next time, please don't twist my words around, thanks.

Last edited by TitanXL on Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Funny, I don't remember saying this.

And yet:

TitanXL wrote:
How any legitimate anime fan could dismiss Accel World is.... ugh.

I would like an apology but I won't be holding my breath for one.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
Taking a statement out of the context of the conversation and twisting it to suit your needs isn't something you should be in the habit of doing if you want people to take you seriously. Now, please point in that post where I said anything about 'liking' it as you claimed I did, if you could.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
Hah, you're focusing on the "liking" part to try and obfuscate the fact that you talked about "legitimate fans", thereby implying that anyone who dismissed Accel World was not one.
Bonham

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
Now I could be reading into that stuff completely wrong, but even when I appeared on episode 96 of ANNCast (a call-out show) & talked about some obscure anime that I felt deserved more appreciation, Justin even outright stated that I don't seem to have "high standards". I highly doubt that Justin meant that as an insult, nor did I take it that way, but at the same time it just reaffirmed my feeling that if having "high standards" means that I shouldn't be able to enjoy stuff like Godzilla, Ring ni Kakero 1, Zaizen Jotaro, or Clockwork Fighters: Hiwou's War, then I'd rather not consider myself as having "high standards"... I'd rather just have "standards", i.e. I enjoy what I enjoy & I don't like what I don't like.

Amen. "High Standards" seems like such a drag if I have to limit what I like in order to keep that badge of 'honor'. I think I'd rather watch stuff I enjoy rather than what someone else thinks is 'good'

It's very frustrating to see comments like Lord Geo's where there's this image of people excluding "simple" works if they have different or "high" standards than other people. I've loved film and video even more since I've learned and applied film theory. I don't think it's elitist to say I appreciate movies more than the average person because I actually understand film language. And there's a helluva of film theorists and practitioners (for a lack of a better term) that know more and can understand film better than I do. The same thing applies for people familiar with animation, music, writing, painting, dance, opera, etc.

I mean, God, Brian even mentioned in the last two columns that he predominantly consumes and enjoys the type of "simple" things that Lord Geo mentions. But people continue to just read what they want to read, believe that people with "high standards" like things only because they are told to, and that these "high standard," "elitist" people don't actually enjoy things that are unconventional and/or difficult. Stop with this nonsense.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:15 am Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
I've loved film and video even more since I've learned and applied film theory.

And a lot of people don't care!

I mean, I sorta care, but not entirely. I can go on about a number of series at length (would you like a dissertation about the implications of the events of the final episode of Madoka Magica? Or how about a discussion of the implications of Sena and Yozora's submissive/dominant relationship in Haganai? I'd be thrilled to discuss those or any number of other things about any number of other shows), but a lot of the "applied film theory" stuff just doesn't goddamn interest me.

Sure, I like good sakuga, and I'm definitely a seiyuu connoisseur, but its all in service to the actual shows. You may find the theories and abstract concepts behind film (and TV and anime and whatever) creation interesting, but just because I (or others) don't, doesn't mean we don't appreciate things as much as you do.

I can find such discussions interesting (and Zac, for example, did a great job on the Madoka reviews in full critic mode), but by god I don't want to see everything through that lens all the time.

The "elitest" attitude here is that your appreciation of things is better than mine because you do care about that. Its not. Its different, and I may even find your views of interest, but that is all.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:24 am Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:

*Although there is a study that says, if people watch dumb people/characters in a show or movie, they're likely to be less-intelligent in the short-term. See here. Whether there's any real credibility to this, I'm not certain.

Well, typical TV couch potatoes and Billboard Top 40 listeners tend to have low standards, right? Laughing

Bonham wrote:
I've loved film and video even more since I've learned and applied film theory. I don't think it's elitist to say I appreciate movies more than the average person because I actually understand film language. And there's a helluva of film theorists and practitioners (for a lack of a better term) that know more and can understand film better than I do. The same thing applies for people familiar with animation, music, writing, painting, dance, opera, etc.

Yep, yet people shouldn't dismiss something based on anything such as premise or where it comes from, whether from Europe or America or Japan, not to be close-minded in such vast mediums known as animation, gaming, music, etc. Smile
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:45 am Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
It's very frustrating to see comments like Lord Geo's where there's this image of people excluding "simple" works if they have different or "high" standards than other people. I've loved film and video even more since I've learned and applied film theory. I don't think it's elitist to say I appreciate movies more than the average person because I actually understand film language. And there's a helluva of film theorists and practitioners (for a lack of a better term) that know more and can understand film better than I do. The same thing applies for people familiar with animation, music, writing, painting, dance, opera, etc.

I mean, God, Brian even mentioned in the last two columns that he predominantly consumes and enjoys the type of "simple" things that Lord Geo mentions. But people continue to just read what they want to read, believe that people with "high standards" like things only because they are told to, and that these "high standard," "elitist" people don't actually enjoy things that are unconventional and/or difficult. Stop with this nonsense.

And who determines what is 'simple', exactly? The fact we're even using that word does seem to pronounce a degree of thinking that 'this show is beneath me'.

Like Fencedude said, he could go on and on about the characters in Haganai, then someone else can just come in and dismiss it as 'simplistic school-based fanservice crap' like a lot of ANN previews tend to do with similar shows. Who's right in that regard?
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:44 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Like Fencedude said, he could go on and on about the characters in Haganai, then someone else can just come in and dismiss it as 'simplistic school-based fanservice crap' like a lot of ANN previews tend to do with similar shows. Who's right in that regard?

Err...no one is? Just because they had a different impression of a show doesn't make their opinion any less valid. There's no real right or wrong in an opinion. All you can do is choose whose you actually want to listen to.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:02 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't take someone's opinion seriously in that case if they haven't watched the show, or if they're only seen episode one and dropped it.
Bonham

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:11 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
And a lot of people don't care!

I think we've established you certainly don't.

Quote:
You may find the theories and abstract concepts behind film (and TV and anime and whatever) creation interesting, but just because I (or others) don't, doesn't mean we don't appreciate things as much as you do.

I can find such discussions interesting (and Zac, for example, did a great job on the Madoka reviews in full critic mode), but by god I don't want to see everything through that lens all the time.

The "elitest" attitude here is that your appreciation of things is better than mine because you do care about that. Its not. Its different, and I may even find your views of interest, but that is all.

I mean "movies" in a general sense, and how much background someone brings to a given subject does matter. If someone actually takes the time to learn about the medium they're consuming, they obviously care about it and enjoy it in a way that's markedly different than those that only ever passively do. I know a little bit about music, but honestly I don't get as much as someone who knows a helluva lot of theory and is able to apply. They're able to listen to music in a way I can't. They're able to understand it more than I am, and I don't have a problem admitting to that.

I'm not demanding that people always put their thinking caps on or always find it interesting -- I don't and can't do that myself. But what I am frustrated at is this notion that as soon as you become more critical, that you somehow don't enjoy what you consume as much as people who don't know and care about such things. Experience with people who study and practice a given art tells me the opposite.

TitanXL wrote:
And who determines what is 'simple', exactly? The fact we're even using that word does seem to pronounce a degree of thinking that 'this show is beneath me'.

Uh, I would describe Whisper of the Heart to be relatively simple (even if it alludes to some relatively knotty ideas), and it's one of my favorite anime films. I'm not sure how that's "beneath me."

Quote:

What Divineking said above.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:34 am Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:

Like I said right at the start, I possibly was reading this kind of stuff wrong, but I have seen the term "high standards" used before as a way of making one person's tastes seem better than another's, including my own. When Justin said it I knew that he didn't mean any malice or negativity behind it, but it was funny to hear that term be brought up again. I was not complaining about people that have "high standards", but rather I was just relaying my experience with the term.

All I was saying is that, if anything, I'd rather just say that I have "standards" instead of trying to quantify them with a term like "high standards", as there is, unfortunately, a misconception of the term being more, let's say, highfalutin, and that kind of annoys some people. I have no problem with people that feel that they have "high standards"... I just personally find myself not using that term to describe anything about myself.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
I mean "movies" in a general sense, and how much background someone brings to a given subject does matter. If someone actually takes the time to learn about the medium they're consuming, they obviously care about it and enjoy it in a way that's markedly different than those that only ever passively do. I know a little bit about music, but honestly I don't get as much as someone who knows a helluva lot of theory and is able to apply. They're able to listen to music in a way I can't. They're able to understand it more than I am, and I don't have a problem admitting to that.

A little off-topic, but I'm curious. Have you ever heard of Brian McDonald?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6