• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Chances In Hell

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Alright, some of you are getting too personal and inflammatory so let's dial it back a bit and stick to discussing just the topic instead of each other.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Name someone like that. Anyone. Seriously. You've constructed a straw-Otaku to knock down.

Rare is it when I will actually subscribe to the "both sides are doing it" line of thinking, but I do feel both sides have constructed and are arguing against strawmen.

The "elitist" who only watches arthouse stuff and whatever gets high praise from tough-to-please critics, and looks down his nose at anyone who enjoys fanservice otaku shows as plebian slobs. Everything with cute girls in it sucks, period.

The "lowbrow" otaku who consumes only the heaviest fanservice anime, doesn't appreciate or enjoy anything that isn't just designed to be jerked off to and harbors an immense victim complex. Everything that has a thought in its head other than "cute girls!" is pretentious crap for elitists.

Now, I'm not saying these two types of people don't ever actually exist, but I don't think anyone in this particular debate is either one, nor do I think these strawmen, if they do actually exist, represent a particularly visible part of fandom. We're arguing against a problem that doesn't really exist in that simple a binary.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
Yay, the elitism debate - this must be America! Rolling Eyes

First of all, we're all elitists. Does anyone here seriously not feel that their taste in entertainment is superior to all others?

There is, however, a divide between those who like to analyse what they watch (e.g. themes of urban decay in the works of ABe, shifting approaches to the harem comedy format, boob size as an inverse correlate of character introspection), and those whose chief satisfaction is flashing colours and loud noises.

Almost anyone can be in this second group, but to play the analysis game you need to be practiced in logical argument, and to know what (some of) the long jargon words mean. If you don't have this, it can naturally lead to resentment about not being "in" on something.

This can sometimes lead to reverse-elitism ("Those guys are snooty brainiacs who don't understand what really matters"), which is - surprise surprise - actual elitism. And this is not to say that those arty types can't be grade-A morons - just google "Sokal hoax".

What about the question of quality? Can someone's opinion of the quality of an anime have an objective validity? I would have to say yes.

I've known people who were basically incapable of telling if a plot was nonsensical, or the characters were two-dimensional stereotypes, when these things were obvious to me. But I don't think it's a matter of superior taste, but more a question of what we know and what we're looking for. For instance, my interests are writing and music, and judging these qualities is something I'm experienced at. OTOH, I must admit my judgement on visuals is less brilliant. Other viewers can instantly spot when the characters go off-model, or other continuity issues. And I must admit that, while I can see these problem when they're pointed out to me, they're not very important to me.

I'm not somehow "wrong" for not seeing or caring about these problems, just as a visually-focused person isn't wrong for not spotting script issues. I think it's incorrect to say that these things are therefore meaningless, but because everyone sees everything from their own unique perspective, the question of quality can never be decisively answered.

Anyway, I can't dally here all day - that $10,000 bottle of champagne won't open itself! Wink

EDIT: I forgot to mention, re English voices in anime, the 20th Century Boys trilogy was just broadcast here, and I noticed that the English speaking actors (playing foreign newsreaders and reporters) were really good! How did that happen?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:53 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:

First of all, we're all elitists. Does anyone here seriously not feel that their taste in entertainment is superior to all others?
(Raises hand). Tastes are always individual, and like snow flakes, no two are precisely identical where as two people might like the same thing, but for completely different reasons and not always honest ones either.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:13 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:

It's not that I think my taste in entertainment is better or worse than that of anyone else. It's that I think my taste matters to me more than that of anyone else. I am the one who experiences the results of my taste, so of course it matters more to me. But the same is true for every other person, too.

This does not make us elitist, it makes us individuals.

Last edited by Tuor_of_Gondolin on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:

Well, we spend half of our lives comparing ourselves to others using some self-made or more widely accepted criteria and get a boost of confidence when we prove to be the better person or at least no worse. So I don't even see a problem here as long as we learn to not throw it in each other's face.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
If we were all a little less elitist, maybe forum threads would be a little shorter, flame wars would get a little less hot....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
eyeresist wrote:
(Raises hand). Tastes are always individual, and like snow flakes, no two are precisely identical

That's what you think, but I'd argue it's not what you feel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6