• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested for Posting Obscene Manga in Public

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
Minor offenses act?

is that the one that prevents publishers from selling comics in tokyo?
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
Minor offenses act?

is that the one that prevents publishers from selling comics in tokyo?

"Youth Ordinance Bill" is the one that attempts to regulate what can be sold to under-age individuals.

I suspect the law in the article governs putting flyers on vehicles parked in a private parking facility. I'm aware of some US cities that have similar ordinances.

Mark Gosdin
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:33 am Reply with quote
What's the law for posting obscene manga in public when images are everywhere............. Razz
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:07 am Reply with quote
"obscene" of course, simply means uncensored genitals

Quote:
Authorities say that they found several dozen "obscene" manga that he drew in his apartment.

That itself should be completely irrelevant as far as the authorities are concerned since there's no law against that
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:16 am Reply with quote
I'm sure the vast majority of Japanese drivers responded to the "Obscene" flyers on their windshields the same way they would in the US and elsewhere. They crumpled them up and tossed them.

One driver may have seen a traffic cop and shown it to them, or a cop got one on his car.

In any case, it isn't so much that the content was a violation of law as it is that the city has a law against posting any flyers under certain circumstances.

Mark Gosdin
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
There was probably a parent who complained that their precious angel's eyes were permanently scarred by the flier or he drew something that utterly disgusted somebody.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Putting stuff on people's cars when they're parked on private property isn't cool. And putting stuff there that a lot of people might find offensive is even less cool. This guy was tresspassing, after all.

Seriously, at 44, I would think he'd have a bit more common sense about distributing his work.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
There was probably a parent who complained that their precious angel's eyes were permanently scarred by the flier or he drew something that utterly disgusted somebody.

With all the images already around all over the place, they're probably already desensitized. Laughing
DTJB

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote
I take it this guy was just too lazy to try a more professional approach to getting his art to the masses.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Polycell wrote:

With all the images already around all over the place, they're probably already desensitized. Laughing

Given the very easy access of the internet, I wouldn't at all be shocked that truly were the case with some kids these days.

The way I look at it, at least he doesn't think he is a manga character. That could lead to some odd results.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Polycell wrote:

Given the very easy access of the internet, I wouldn't at all be shocked that truly were the case with some kids these days.

In Japan, they don't even need the internet. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1