• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Adjusting the Vertical

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:12 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
This doesn't mean this is the case for Hoshi no Samidare. Maybe the print license is too expensive or maybe it breaks one of Verticals rules, and you should be happy Jmanga has it online, because that may be all you're going to get. In any case, if the publisher says it's not going to happen, it's not going to happen. Not any time soon anyway. Make a new manga boom happen and maybe they'll reconsider Very Happy

No, Ed has generally said that if a title is on JManga then Vertical won't do it at all, so that applies to everything that's on the site.

Those plans for Vinland Saga sounded so awesome that it really makes one wonder why Kodansha pulled the plug on it... Maybe they felt that the Japanese would have gotten jealous & reverse imported them, even with them being in a language the readers might not be able to read? Also, in regards to the YKK mention... I'm sorry, Ed. I had that extra space in my tweet, & I just couldn't help it. I don't like trolling people, but that was just too perfect of a chance to not do it.

Finally, Ed, I wouldn't really want the recent G Gundam manga in a hardcover anyway, as it really wouldn't fit it that title well (putting a Char manga in hardcover would be a better choice, since Char is just classy like that). I'd just love to be able to read that G Gundam manga; I mean, come on, it's written by Yasuhiro Imagawa & drawn by Kazuhiko Shimamoto... That's effectively as perfect of a G Gundam manga as one can be.
Brand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
I'm imagining holding that Vertical copy if Vinland saga in my hand right now and I am sad it will never really exist. If I could shove my money through the computer screen to Ed for a copy I would. Take it damn it!

I can't wait to get my copy of Parakiss in also. I finally got back in the habit of pre-ordering my manga from my local comic book store. Though still running into Diamond being kind of crappy and either sending the wrong books, or no books at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

No, Ed has generally said that if a title is on JManga then Vertical won't do it at all, so that applies to everything that's on the site.

'Breaks the rules' it is.

Quote:

Those plans for Vinland Saga sounded so awesome that it really makes one wonder why Kodansha pulled the plug on it... Maybe they felt that the Japanese would have gotten jealous & reverse imported them, even with them being in a language the readers might not be able to read?

Well, there's Kodansha USA as well. They might want to publish it themselves.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:

Well, there's Kodansha USA as well. They might want to publish it themselves.

But it won't be nearly as nice as what Ed said Vertical wanted to do with it... Crying or Very sad
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
am I the only person who thinks historys strongest disciple kenichi would be a hit like stuff like bleach? Its got all the hallmarks of a good shonen action title.

(btw im not saying vertical should publish it, its just ed talking about naruto and fairy tail got me thinking of it)

I got a picture of ed playing with his medication alot in this podcast "rattle" "rattle" lol
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
am I the only person who thinks historys strongest disciple kenichi would be a hit like stuff like bleach? Its got all the hallmarks of a good shonen action title.

(btw im not saying vertical should publish it, its just ed talking about naruto and fairy tail got me thinking of it)

I doubt now would be the right time to launch a new big shounen series. The English market is fairly small and there is only so much room for long running shounen titles. It would have to take on Bleach and Naruto, not to mention all the other shounen series that aren't big hits but do well enough to keep getting published.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
RAmmsoldat wrote:

I doubt now would be the right time to launch a new big shounen series. The English market is fairly small and there is only so much room for long running shounen titles. It would have to take on Bleach and Naruto, not to mention all the other shounen series that aren't big hits but do well enough to keep getting published.

Well Bleach is entering endgame apparently and there were a few rumblings about Naruto wanting to wrap up too but i do understand that even then those titles could be around for another few years. Maybe in the future when those titles are gone some publisher will be wanting to fill the void.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
It kills me every time I hear that Twin Spica has sold so poorly, because people really do not know what a great series they are missing out on. I'm a little under halfway through it, and I just cannot get over how good and understated and genuinely moving it is.

It also kills me how close Vertical was to Vinland Saga. Had they released that in the edition that Ed described, I would have preorded that like the wind.

One thing I always have and continue to appreciate how candid Ed Chavez is about his own company and the manga market in general. Most of the major manga publishers don't talk about their sales or licence ideas, so it's really enlightening to hear some insider talk. It gets me very invested in Vertical as a company, and I always look forward to their licence announcements and releases (and their cover art - seriously, their graphic designers deserve an extra pat on the back because Vertical releases have covers which are always so eye-catching and attractive). This also reminds me of all the Vertical stuff I need to catch up on, like the later volumes of Chi and the rest of 7 Billion Needles and Flowers of Evil and Andromeda Stories...
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:11 am Reply with quote
Brainchild129 wrote:
It kills me every time I hear that Twin Spica has sold so poorly, because people really do not know what a great series they are missing out on. I'm a little under halfway through it, and I just cannot get over how good and understated and genuinely moving it is.

It also kills me how close Vertical was to Vinland Saga. Had they released that in the edition that Ed described, I would have preorded that like the wind.

One thing I always have and continue to appreciate how candid Ed Chavez is about his own company and the manga market in general. Most of the major manga publishers don't talk about their sales or licence ideas, so it's really enlightening to hear some insider talk. It gets me very invested in Vertical as a company, and I always look forward to their licence announcements and releases (and their cover art - seriously, their graphic designers deserve an extra pat on the back because Vertical releases have covers which are always so eye-catching and attractive). This also reminds me of all the Vertical stuff I need to catch up on, like the later volumes of Chi and the rest of 7 Billion Needles and Flowers of Evil and Andromeda Stories...

Aye i find the amount of disclosure we get endearing, its nice that we get kept in the loop be the news is good or bad and it makes me respect vertical as a company.

And double aye for Twin spica being really good, i felt drained by melancholy at the end of most volumes but still had the desire to keep reading on because its such a bittersweet story.
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Wow, awesome show, Zac! This really made me feel good after a long week of horrible surgery recovery. I always really dig the episodes when Ed is on. I really love the GTO 14 days comics Vertical is putting out right now, might be one of my favourite manga coming out right now!
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
Brainchild129 wrote:

Hope you picked up all those volumes already cause vols 9-11 are OOP. Volume 5 will be the next to run out.

Quote:
One thing I always have and continue to appreciate how candid Ed Chavez is about his own company and the manga market in general. Most of the major manga publishers don't talk about their sales or license ideas, so it's really enlightening to hear some insider talk. It gets me very invested in Vertical as a company, and I always look forward to their license announcements and releases (and their cover art - seriously, their graphic designers deserve an extra pat on the back because Vertical releases have covers which are always so eye-catching and attractive).

Oh and we appreciate the kind words. Laughing
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
Well Bleach is entering endgame apparently and there were a few rumblings about Naruto wanting to wrap up too but i do understand that even then those titles could be around for another few years. Maybe in the future when those titles are gone some publisher will be wanting to fill the void.

I don't make decisions for Viz, or any other company, but I just can see any company just filling in such a "void" with another long series unless pressured to do so, or if that publisher has unlimited resources.

It would be more effective to try to replace the shelf-space with a number of shorter series that are up-and-coming.
VinceA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
I love the fact that Ed will answer a half-serious question with a laugh & detailed answer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
RAmmsoldat wrote:

I don't make decisions for Viz, or any other company, but I just can see any company just filling in such a "void" with another long series unless pressured to do so, or if that publisher has unlimited resources.

It would be more effective to try to replace the shelf-space with a number of shorter series that are up-and-coming.

Then so be it, id welcome either honestly.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:

Then so be it, id welcome either honestly.

Still if there are sure hits... anyone would jump at the chance.

But as Zac noted, those hits aren't as plentiful, for some of the reasons mentioned here and in the podcast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3