• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: S.A.'s Maki Minami Launches Seiyū ka—! Shōjo Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote
This looks cute.
I read the first volume of SA and I got kind of annoyed with it. Hopefully , this is a better series.
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
This looks cute.
I read the first volume of SA and I got kind of annoyed with it. Hopefully , this is a better series.
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Really sorry about the double posting. I don't know why it did that.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
What I hated about S.A. was how friggin spoiled the characters were.

I really hope this portrays voice actors in a much more realistic sense, and not the hyperbolic affluence that S.A. really suffered from.[/quote]
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
This definitely looks to be a step up from S.A. I never made it past the 1st chapter of that one, the whole "rich kids have problems too" and the magnitude of the density of the leading heroine did not jive well with me at all.
holybell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Why a lot of people like her finished manga S.A beats me really given how repetitive and no development of the story that it had. Confused I hope this manga will be a lot better than S.A.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I have a bit of a soft spot for anime and manga about anime and manga, so I'm interested in reading this.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I'll chime in by saying that S.A. the manga was great. I loved it. Now, if only the anime would get licensed here. *Looks at FUNi* (Hey, it's half Gonzo, so it has a chance.)
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I really hope this portrays voice actors in a much more realistic sense, and not the hyperbolic affluence that S.A. really suffered from.

Quote:
This definitely looks to be a step up from S.A. I never made it past the 1st chapter of that one, the whole "rich kids have problems too" and the magnitude of the density of the leading heroine did not jive well with me at all.

So I'm guessing you guys don't like OHSHC either, then? S.A. certainly isn't the only series exploring this (in a comedic way at that! Sheesh), much less the only popular one. ><
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
Quote:

I really hope this portrays voice actors in a much more realistic sense, and not the hyperbolic affluence that S.A. really suffered from.

Quote:

So I'm guessing you guys don't like OHSHC either, then? S.A. certainly isn't the only series exploring this (in a comedic way at that! Sheesh), much less the only popular one. ><

Ouran host club used an old music room. S.A. had a farking private complex where only those "special" students could go. and chillax and do pretty much nothing. At least the Host Club provided some sort of function... the S.A.... what did they do really? They were "special"? Well, ummm... okay.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:27 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
JairStout wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Ouran host club used an old music room. S.A. had a farking private complex where only those "special" students could go. and chillax and do pretty much nothing. At least the Host Club provided some sort of function... the S.A.... what did they do really? They were "special"? Well, ummm... okay.

Oh, come on. Ouran Academy, including the Host Club's music room, is just as blatently and absurdly over the top as S.A.'s private complex. And they are that way by design! You're not meant to take these aspects seriously! And the meaning behind "S.A." is that the students in said class are the best academically, a point that Minami makes abundantly clear throughout the manga, often in a ridiculous manner, which, again, is by design. Hayate The Combat Butler is another series that has a similar ridiculous theme. It all adds to the comedic appeal, at least to me and the fans of the three series here mentioned.
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
JairStout wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Oh, come on. Ouran Academy, including the Host Club's music room, is just as blatently and absurdly over the top as S.A.'s private complex. And they are that way by design! You're not meant to take these aspects seriously! And the meaning behind "S.A." is that the students in said class are the best academically, a point that Minami makes abundantly clear throughout the manga, often in a ridiculous manner, which, again, is by design. Hayate The Combat Butler is another series that has a similar ridiculous theme. It all adds to the comedic appeal, at least to me and the fans of the three series here mentioned.

The problem is that Ouran is funny and S.A. is not. Ouran was a self aware satire of shoujo manga tropes and S.A. was just cliche.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Hey, gee, thanks for being a dick, dizzywulf. How silly of me to have my own opinions. I wasn't aware that I was wrong to think S.A. is pretty funny.

Next time, spare me the polemical bullsh*t. I'd love to find out what manga you like and then crap on them, but you see, I'm above your pathetic elitism.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1