• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Group Discusses Lucky Star Uniforms to Boost Local Tourism

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
any one else think this is overkill?
Koji98

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't see this getting very far. It's meant to attract tourists, I understand, but having otaku going up to random girls in high school to take pictures with (or from a bush in secrecy) sounds kind of troublesome.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Well it's not as if the uniform is all that different from other types of sailor uniforms. Though from what I understand the schools that employ sailor style uniforms is slowly dwindling. So I guess the question to ask is, are the schools that will be potentially changing uniforms already using a sailor style uniform in the first place? If yes, then I don't think it is that big of a deal. If no, then I agree with the first post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LunarianWarrior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
If I lived there, I would switch schools or move away from that area...I mean SERIOUSLY? Do you really need this to boost up anime-based tourism? O _ o
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Okay, that's seriously creepy. The uniforms themselves are no big deal, but it's the idea that "Hey, all the girls in our area will have to wear this and then people will come to gawk at them!" That's pretty messed up.

And before anyone overreacts to this post, I have no problem with Lucky Star or fans of the show, it's the idea of making local school girls unwitting tourist attractions that disturbs me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sailorsean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
oh do want. I am now moving to japan
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
This would certainly attract me... Laughing

But seriously, as a way to attract tourists this might work for some, but overall it makes little difference in the long run. Perhaps a reoccurring festival with themes from Lucky Star would be more attractive to the general public as well as hardcore fans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Juriasu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Seems like anime-based tourism has been boosted for that area already, but I'm all for those uniforms anyway!
neggiimmaa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
HOLY SHIT O__O

My dreams of finding a girl called Konata have just sky rocked by 2000%
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Anime-based tourism huh? I suppose there's more of that than something I call 'normal tourism'. There was time in Japan where there was no anime or manga, and yet it still got plenty of tourism as far as I know.

But more on topic, yes this does seem like overkill to me. There are better, more practical ways of generating anime-based tourism, and it does not have to be limited to making girls wear Lucky Star-inspired school uniforms.

I'm going to feel bad for the school girls, having to pose for so, so many photos by complete strangers...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I prefer the more formal blue jackets of the high school of K-On! to the typical anime sailor uniforms.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Can I start facepalming now or later?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bleuster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I'd wear one!

For now, the school uniform shirts that came with the LE DVDs will have to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:09 pm Reply with quote
If they feature both the Winter and Summer versions of the seifukus in Lucky Star overtime, that would be an epic sight to photograph... Twisted Evil
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:41 am Reply with quote
Life imitates Art - I love it!

I know some girls who would move from the US to Japan to that school district just to be able to say they lived there and wore the uniforms to school. I could really see this area becoming a real International hub if they go through with this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2